Though the iPhone has cornered over 25 percent of the US cell phone market, Apple is missing one key customer: the President of the United States...

http://crackberry.com/us-president-b...ns-have-iphone
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-09-13 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Edited added CB link
    12-05-13 06:05 PM
    Though the iPhone has cornered over 25 percent of the US cell phone market, Apple is missing one key customer: the President of the United States...

]

Yes.
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-09-13 at 01:54 PM.
    12-05-13 06:14 PM
    Our phones are no more secure than our zippers on our pants. Lol

sent from my galaxy note 3
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-09-13 at 01:53 PM.
    JR A and bbhuh like this.
    12-05-13 06:23 PM

Speak for yourself.
    Barljo, R Field and rarsen like this.
    12-05-13 06:44 PM
    sent from my galaxy note 3
    Ha ha! I hope Samsung is okay with what you said about Note 3.
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    12-05-13 06:57 PM
    with every iOS version getting jailbroken, you have your answer.
    12-05-13 08:36 PM
    I'd your service provider has been compromised it doesn't matter if you use an iPhone android or BlackBerry. They can pull all phone logs text location services from your provider.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 08:40 PM
    url]
    Geez weez, I dunno. But if the president of USA , the gouvernement of Germany, the pentagon just to name a few name, kept or went to blackberry, it's probably for the cool factors

Better android than android. The future is black....
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-09-13 at 01:55 PM.
    12-05-13 11:15 PM
    But if the president of USA , the gouvernement of Germany, the pentagon just to name a few name, kept or went to blackberry, it's probably for the cool factors

Now that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Just imagine if anyone in Western developed countries actually thought BlackBerries were "cool" these days...

Straining brain.......... can't.....do.......it......
    12-06-13 12:19 AM
    Now that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Just imagine if anyone in Western developed countries actually thought BlackBerries were "cool" these days...

I realize you find it humorous,
    but i think who care's if a phone is cool,
    as long as it can text, call , browse the web in speed, that's all that matter's really.
    12-06-13 12:48 AM
    I realize you find it humorous,
    but i think who care's if a phone is cool,
    as long as it can text, call , browse the web in speed, that's all that matter's really.
    And here we see the major reason why Blackberry is currently in its life or death predicament.

but to be fair, the founders of Blackberry also believe this.
    kbz1960, Galifrey, bbq10l and 4 others like this.
    12-06-13 12:54 AM
    I don't think security is foremost in the minds of the average user. They simply cant be bothered with this at all. Big corporates are more security aware for obvious reasons. Irrespective of who of BlackBerry or IPhone is actually more secure, I can't think that will be a selling point for either company when attempting to win over the masses.
    12-06-13 12:55 AM
    BB10 phones that are not on BES10 are no more secure than any other phone.

BB10 phones that are on BES10 have, potentially, several services that ARE more secure than other phones, but even then, phone calls, SMS/MMS, Web browsing, and other services are still no different than other phones.

One of the most important aspects of security is understanding what is and isn't secure. Merely "having faith" is not security - security has real definitions and limitations, on every platform.
    Galifrey, m1a1mg, bbq10l and 9 others like this.
    12-06-13 03:10 AM
    Terms like online security and online privacy are often used interchangeably. Is it the same thing?
    12-06-13 03:24 AM
    BB10 phones that are not on BES10 are no more secure than any other phone.

BB10 phones that are on BES10 have, potentially, several services that ARE more secure than other phones, but even then, phone calls, SMS/MMS, Web browsing, and other services are still no different than other phones.

One of the most important aspects of security is understanding what is and isn't secure. Merely "having faith" is not security - security has real definitions and limitations, on every platform.

Wrong again, Troy.

There are some fundamental aspects of the system architecture that are designed from the ground-up to have a focus on being either inherently secure or securable. This is a distinct differentiating aspect of the Blackberry platform, with or without BES.

Tell me when was the last time you heard of someone with a BB10 device that was rooted.

I thought so.

Enough of your FUD.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 12-06-13 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Minor typo
    12-06-13 04:32 AM
    Terms like online security and online privacy are often used interchangeably. Is it the same thing?
    They are related but not the same.
    12-06-13 04:34 AM

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...rity-Works.pdf

The Security Benefits of the QNX Microkernel

• It contains less code (about 150,000 lines)
    • This small footprint helps eliminate vulnerabilities by making security verification and testing easier and more robust

It’s designed for resiliency

• The Microkernel isolates processes in the user space
    • Unresponsive processes are restarted without affecting others, so that applications don’t crash the OS

It minimizes all root processes

• Only the most essential BlackBerry processes run as root
    • Root processes are not available to non-BlackBerry parties, which makes the OS less vulnerable to security risks

The QNX Microkernel diagram below illustrates how user processes cannot directly access other processes.

Contained and Constrained: Application and Malware Controls

The best way to protect your enterprise from mobile malware is to use an operating system that’s designed to resist it. BlackBerry 10 uses a ‘contain and constrain’
    design strategy to mitigate against malware risks.

By sandboxing the user space, BlackBerry 10 can block malicious behavior:

• Processes are constrained within the user space and the microkernel carefully supervises inter-process communication.
    • Memory accessed by the user space is also authorized by the microkernel.
    • Any process that attempts to address unauthorized memory is automatically restarted or shut down.

And in the next diagram, you’ll see just a few examples of the security mechanisms that are integrated into the BlackBerry 10 operating system to protect against attacks and arbitrary code execution.

Protection Mechanism Description
    Non-executable stack and heap Stack and heap areas of memory cannot execute machine code, protecting against buffer overflows
    Stack cookies Buffer overflow protection to prevent arbitrary code execution
    Robust heap implementations A form of protection against heap area of memory corruption that can lead to arbitrary code execution
    Address space layout randomization (ASLR) Random allocation of a process’ address space makes arbitrary code execution more difficult
    Compiler-level source fortification Compiler option replaces insecure code constructs where possible
    Guard pages A form of protection against heap buffer overflow and arbitrary code execution
    RedFoxOne, kbz1960, m1kr0 and 13 others like this.
    12-06-13 04:56 AM
    How BlackBerry 10 avoids Android's security issues (TechRadar.Mobile)

In Depth RIM predicts 'day of reckoning' for mobile security

Excerpt:

Google's problem with Android is both the Linux and Java components it's built with and the way it's implemented by multiple handset makers. That causes security headaches and ultimately limits what Android can do. That's according to Sebastien Marineau, the senior vice president of BlackBerry OS.

"I call it architectural integrity; maintaining integrity of the architecture and for that you need to deeply understand that architecture. The model with Android is one of microforking, from handset manufacturer to handset manufacturer and even between handsets."

BlackBerry 10 and QNX partition what different apps and processes are allowed to do very strictly, but the design of Android is quite different. "It's much harder to partition in Android because it's a distributed architecture. It's a distributed object model throughout all the Java components and processes and it's far more difficult to partition that."

Plus there is a lot of Android to understand, compared to the small but powerful QNX kernel that powers PlayBook and BlackBerry 10. "If you look at the microkernel architecture, the microkernel is the only trusted component in the system," he explains. "It's the one thing that can never fail and it gets to control access."

"In the case of our microkernel it's about 100,000 lines of code, give or take ten thousand and that's the core code that has to be absolutely bullet proof. If you look at something like Linux, I don't know what it's up to today but it was up to 14 million lines six months ago. That code all runs in privileged space and one line in that can take down the whole system or be the vulnerability that people exploit. It's very difficult to test to prove that that amount of code is secure and bug free."

[...]

BlackBerry 10 OS will have multi-layered security model (Network World)

RIM and QNX re-engineering security for the new mobile platform

Excerpts:

RIM's upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system is intended to be as secure, if not more so, than the OS running on RIM's current crop of BlackBerry devices. [...]

BB10 security will have multiple integrated layers, with the tight, cooperating relationship between hardware and software that's been a BlackBerry hallmark. For mobile users, there will be a permissions-based security model for apps, in plain, understandable English, coupled with a various OS-level security and safety features borrowed from QNX's experience in the embedded systems market. [...]

At the OS level, QNX has offered a hardened variant of its OS called Neutrino RTOS Secure Kernel for several years. The secure kernel has been certified under the Common Criteria ISO/IEC 15408 Evaluation Assurance Level (EAL) 4+. The Common Criteria is intended to show that a computer security product has been specified, implemented and evaluated in a standard and thorough way. QNX says Neutrino was the first full-featured RTOS certified under this standard.

This combined group has been focusing on a range of protections, such as:

• Blocking root access, which enables a user or hacker to gain administrative access to the OS.
    • Memory randomization, which in effect "scrambles" where in memory routines may run, making it harder for these to be leveraged by attackers.
    • Adding security management, including auditing, to the kernel.

Code to jailbreak or root the QNX-based PlayBook OS (so you can load apps apart from BlackBerry App World) is available from DingleBerry.it, specifically Version 3.3, which was a big step up in simplicity and ease of use. A 4.0 version is in development. The PlayBooks will eventually run BlackBerry 10, so if blocking root access is a priority for RIM, then they may be harder to jailbreak with the release of the new OS. [...]

(Omnitech note: There has been NO equivalent "rooting tool" released for BB10 because the author of Dingleberry CANNOT BREAK IT, nor has anyone else so far. See below.)

Posted 2013-01-17
    RIM won that fight - the guy couldn't root the latest updates and gave up....

The old exploit involved futzing with the backups. Now the backups are encryptable and un-futz-able. The OS also won't allow downgrading to a version that uses un-encrypted backups.

No root exploit of a live OS has ever been demonstrated for these devices and I have serious doubts it'll ever happen.

In fact, the domain "jailbreak.me", owned by the author of Dingleberry is being sold-off now, because he is, quote: "...not working on jailbreaks as much...". Care to guess why?
    Last edited by Omnitech; 12-06-13 at 05:55 AM.
    12-06-13 05:25 AM
    How BlackBerry 10 avoids Android's security issues (TechRadar.Mobile)
    In Depth RIM predicts 'day of reckoning' for mobile security

BlackBerry 10 OS will have multi-layered security model (Network World)
    RIM and QNX re-engineering security for the new mobile platform
    This here from Omnitech IS the last word on BlackBerry security, I am confident. End of debate.
    Last edited by mikr009876; 12-06-13 at 06:54 AM.
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    12-06-13 06:31 AM
    This thread was an enjoyable read. Shout out to omnitech for the compilation of material. Keep moving.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-06-13 07:22 AM

Actually, I think BlackBerry owners and users are cool because they choose to not follow main stream and made their purchasing decisions based on practicality and rationality. When our household had the Mac Powerbook G14, most of our friends thought we were nuts to drop that much money on a laptop that was incompatible with a lot of technology out there then. How things have changed. The new management at BlackBerry still have a chance with this wonderful OS. But they have to move fast and soon.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    vakk likes this.
    12-06-13 07:36 AM
    Actually, I think BlackBerry owners and users are cool because they choose to not follow main stream and made their purchasing decisions based on practicality and rationality. When our household had the Mac Powerbook G14, most of our friends thought we were nuts to drop that much money on a laptop that was incompatible with a lot of technology out there then. How things have changed. The new management at BlackBerry still have a chance with this wonderful OS. But they have to move fast and soon.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    This...
    It's so true. Co-worker and friends keep on saying how I'm uncool for not following the trends

Better android than android. The future is black....
    m1kr0 likes this.
    12-06-13 01:00 PM
    Thanks omnitech bout time someone did what you did, it seems that's the new thing to throw around these days, "BlackBerry phones not on bes are no more secure than other phones"

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    southlander and Jerale Hoard like this.
    12-06-13 01:06 PM
    My zipper is secure. Thank you.
    m1kr0 and justsomebbuser like this.
    12-06-13 01:25 PM
    And here we see the major reason why Blackberry is currently in its life or death predicament.

but to be fair, the founders of Blackberry also believe this.
    I'm much more interested in functionality than in"cool" because if you're lacking in functionality, you got NOTHIN'! Besides, I had an iPhone at work, and found it to be second rate in functionality compared to my Z10.
    12-06-13 01:28 PM
217 123 ...