Tells you how overpriced the other stuff is, doesn't it?
    Tells me how decently priced a TCL branded KEY phone could be...
    ppeters914 likes this.
    09-05-19 01:49 PM
    Another Android phone without BlackBerry Security. -From a company you should not trust. No, Thank you.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    09-05-19 01:54 PM
    Reading the article on Verge and they did exactly as I thought they would. Snapdragon 675, 128GB storage, 6GB RAM, 3820 mAh battery and edge to edge 6.53 in screen with a focus on the 3 back cameras. This beats the 3a and aXL in all areas. If they smartly go Android One and price it competitively it will sell here (looks like Europe is the test market). If this phone drops here for 299-350, garners some carrier support and is available unlocked for all carriers via Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Amazon they will move product 100%
    It could sell everywhere but here. Consumers will switch carriers for a phone brand or switch phones for a carrier. Just look at how even the former Direct Sale only devices have fought to get on carriers.

I'm not saying it's right, that just USA consumer preference and probably Canada as well.
    09-05-19 02:08 PM
    Tells you how overpriced the other stuff is, doesn't it?
    Absolutely. The ONLY way Samsung and Apple have been able to hold on so far is BOGO offers and trade in offers. As noted prior my 2 year old S7 was given a 360 dollar trade in value. This made my S9 @ 440. I NEVER would have paid 800 for the device. I got my BE BlackBerry KeyOne 10 months after release for 299 (249 for me with a 50 dollar Amazon gift card). My dad has both the Pixel 3a and 3 aXL of which I have used. They, possibly like this new Plex, are game changers in the cost of mobile devices. Which is good for consumers. Never should a mobile phone cost 1000 dollars (or even close). Watch the BOGO deals on the new Apples and trade in values. Same for Note 10. It will plumet by the holidays. Apple and Pixel have something good with their updates. I am hoping this kicks Samsung and all others in the rear. (However I am entirely GOOD with Samsung taking their time to flush out bugs on major OS updates-Android 10 is already off to a shaky, bug filled, release- no thanks)
    09-05-19 02:09 PM
    So a Palm device? Since the Key is probably tied into licensing. Not that it would really matter.
    09-05-19 02:10 PM
    I would much prefer the PKB devices remain "BlackBerry" and for them to work their differences out in regards to OS and security updates. I hold BlackBerry LTD to blame on the software side of things. Build quality of my BE BlackBerry KeyOne is great.
    09-05-19 02:11 PM
    It could sell everywhere but here. Consumers will switch carriers for a phone brand or switch phones for a carrier. Just look at how even the former Direct Sale only devices have fought to get on carriers.

I'm not saying it's right, that just USA consumer preference and probably Canada as well.
    Where I think this might differ for TCL is because of their success in the TV panel business and their good vendor relationships. This device also hits on all the areas non niche consumers want. If they lay out a clear update path @ 329/device watch out.
    09-05-19 02:14 PM
    I would much prefer the PKB devices remain "BlackBerry"
    Most of us would. But if it's not viable for both companies, it's better to have a TCL PKB than no PKB
    09-05-19 02:21 PM
    So a Palm device? Since the Key is probably tied into licensing. Not that it would really matter.
    Palm is something else.

And a generic candybar PKB by TCL wouldn't be called "KEY" obviously
    09-05-19 02:22 PM
    Where I think this might differ for TCL is because of their success in the TV panel business and their good vendor relationships. This device also hits on all the areas non niche consumers want. If they lay out a clear update path @ 329/device watch out.
    US cell phone carriers don't give a fig about TV sales, and TVs are an entirely different division of TCL than its smartphones anyway. Carriers care about a company's smartphone product line and how they have managed their business, from advertising to customer service to device quality to returns. Carriers want to carry devices that will bring customers into their stores to sign up for service contracts in large numbers, that have few returns, and cause them a minimum of hassle.

Unfortunately, BB-branded phones, regardless of manufacturer, have continued to do worse and worse in each of these areas, and that's why carrier support is almost completely gone.
    ppeters914, pdr733 and cribble2k like this.
    09-05-19 03:04 PM
    US cell phone carriers don't give a fig about TV sales, and TVs are an entirely different division of TCL than its smartphones anyway. Carriers care about a company's smartphone product line and how they have managed their business, from advertising to customer service to device quality to returns. Carriers want to carry devices that will bring customers into their stores to sign up for service contracts in large numbers, that have few returns, and cause them a minimum of hassle.

Unfortunately, BB-branded phones, regardless of manufacturer, have continued to do worse and worse in each of these areas, and that's why carrier support is almost completely gone.
    I was discussing the TCL branded devices. Carriers here in the US ONLY care about money. It may already ONLY be a two horse race with Apple and Samsung BUT despite your personal preferences in flat panel TV's TCL has kicked some *** and taken names as far as market share, being with all the right vendors and pricing quality panels with features and value consumers want. The Plex does this. Look at the specs and value for 329. If the experience is damn near stock Android, as it is noted, and the quality is good they will sell devices. Read any poll these days and consumers appetite for 1000 dollar phones is evaporating, even with BOGO and trade ins.
    09-05-19 03:18 PM

I had some hope with T-Mobile offering the OnePlus... maybe that would push both Verizon and AT&T to widen out a little.

But with Apple offering so many options and Samsung not far behind.... who has room for much more? Verizon has almost 50 "options" not including color variants, I doubt they want or need much more.
    09-05-19 03:23 PM
    I was discussing the TCL branded devices. Carriers here in the US ONLY care about money. It may already ONLY be a two horse race with Apple and Samsung BUT despite your personal preferences in flat panel TV's TCL has kicked some *** and taken names as far as market share, being with all the right vendors and pricing quality panels with features and value consumers want. The Plex does this. Look at the specs and value for 329. If the experience is damn near stock Android, as it is noted, and the quality is good they will sell devices. Read any poll these days and consumers appetite for 1000 dollar phones is evaporating, even with BOGO and trade ins.
    You're confusing and conflating several different issues here.

TCL making TVs (and being successful at it) means nothing to US phone carriers.

TCL's TV success isn't a problem for the better brands (in this case, Sony, Samsung, and LG) in TVs - rather, it's a problem for Vizio and for the other no-name or licensed-name brands (RCA, Zenith, Sharp, and others that are "in name only").

The Plex phone isn't even going to be available in the US - mostly because US carriers don't want it. They may be successful in other parts of the world (we'll have to see - the DTEKs and the Alcatels they were based on were decently-specced in their day, but they had a high failure rate - mostly batteries - and caused problems for carriers). Selling devices is a good step - having them last, supporting them long-term, and leaving a positive impression of the brand are also important to long-term success, and TCL doesn't have the best track record in those categories.

Finally, as Dunt pointed out, just because not everyone wants to pay $700-$1000 for a flagship phone doesn't mean that Apple or Samsung (or Moto or LG) are being threatened by TCL - they all have mid-range phones at mid-range prices to satisfy that demand, with Apple likely to struggle the most. Samsung has plenty of mid-range options, and LG sells a lot of Stylos, and Moto a lot of G's. TCL will have to do a better job or come to the market for less money, or they won't get into the party.
    09-07-19 07:37 PM
    You're confusing and conflating several different issues here.

TCL making TVs (and being successful at it) means nothing to US phone carriers.

TCL's TV success isn't a problem for the better brands (in this case, Sony, Samsung, and LG) in TVs - rather, it's a problem for Vizio and for the other no-name or licensed-name brands (RCA, Zenith, Sharp, and others that are "in name only").

The Plex phone isn't even going to be available in the US - mostly because US carriers don't want it. They may be successful in other parts of the world (we'll have to see - the DTEKs and the Alcatels they were based on were decently-specced in their day, but they had a high failure rate - mostly batteries - and caused problems for carriers). Selling devices is a good step - having them last, supporting them long-term, and leaving a positive impression of the brand are also important to long-term success, and TCL doesn't have the best track record in those categories.

Finally, as Dunt pointed out, just because not everyone wants to pay $700-$1000 for a flagship phone doesn't mean that Apple or Samsung (or Moto or LG) are being threatened by TCL - they all have mid-range phones at mid-range prices to satisfy that demand, with Apple likely to struggle the most. Samsung has plenty of mid-range options, and LG sells a lot of Stylos, and Moto a lot of G's. TCL will have to do a better job or come to the market for less money, or they won't get into the party.
    Must you always bring facts to the table.......LOL
    10-14-19 07:04 PM
    Right... it would have hard to find where they ever promised PIE.

Some reference to a voluntary 3rd party program? A slide sent out to earlier reviewers?

But from the day they were forced to delist TCL Communications... I knew it was a loser business. Doesn't matter how well the parent company is doing... Just like with LG and Sony I expect TCL Ltd too will eventually end their smartphone business. Market consolidation pressures don't favor the small or the weak.
    The so-called promise of PIE made by BBMo wasn't legally binding and should never be treated as such. I'd love to have PIE, as it would extend compatibility with apps in the play store by at least a couple of additional years.
    10-14-19 09:55 PM
    The so-called promise of PIE made by BBMo wasn't legally binding and should never be treated as such. I'd love to have PIE, as it would extend compatibility with apps in the play store by at least a couple of additional years.
    BlackBerry users have gotten so use to settling...
    10-15-19 07:43 AM
    Well, we were forced to settle for Android. After that enormous compromise, Android O vs. P is a pretty minor compromise.

:-P

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    10-15-19 07:54 AM
    I honestly don't feel that way. Quite the opposite in fact - I feel I have to settle with typing on glass.

I have family members with a Pixel 3 on Android 10, and a Nokia 6.1 on Pie. Neither OS would make any difference to my workflow. Nor would the SoC in the Pixel 3.

The camera is about the only thing I would be happy to take from the Pixel 3.
    10-15-19 08:12 AM
93 ... 234