Narrowed it down to two. Bold 9900, or Iphone 5. My wife has been nagging me to go IPhone.
    We do have a Mac desktop, which I love.
    I email lots, play music, need a good GPS, and surf the web a bit.
    Dont play games, dont BBM much at all, and find there seems to be enough apps for the BB for me.
    Just a little concerned about the browser, the weaker camera, and having a good GPS.
    Is the Bold gonna do the trick?
    09-10-11 02:03 PM
    Why should I talk you out of anything? What do I get for talking you out of the iPhone?
    09-10-11 02:11 PM
    OS7 browsing is far better than in previous versions. The email and the keypad need no introduction. As far as the GPS goes, cant say I have really used mine, but I assume it works. But I still find comparing an Iphone to a Blackberry frankly quite pointless. Hopefully your not an app maniac, because the tiny offerings of apps and lack of range offered in Appworld is embarrassing.
    09-10-11 02:22 PM
    Just get the iPhone. Sounds like a bigger screen would be better for you especially for browsing and GPS. iTunes sync is also wireless with iOS 5. Updates are OTA as well.
    09-10-11 02:33 PM
    The 14 day return policy could be your best friend. Try them out, stick with the one that works for you. We can't decide that for you.
    09-10-11 02:44 PM
    The browsing on my 9930 is great and super smooth. the 1.2 ghz processor runs this thing so fast! Loading media on this thing is a snap, windows or I tunes. The email is good as always, but this keyboard just blows me away coming from a Treo, Windows 8125 & 8525, Iphone, Evo, and short time on curve 8530 (my bb trial phone). The design and build quality of the 9930 feels amazing in my hand for long messages and I trust that it will survive a good amount of abuse over the years. Sometimes I see it sitting there and I just admire it's beauty for a short while. This is my favorite phone to date.
    09-10-11 03:02 PM
    If you have a Mac, you might prefer an iPhone.
    I'd do what Michelle suggested. Get the 9900 and play with it for a few days. The iPhone5 will be almost the exact same as the iPhone 4 if history is any predictor of the future, so you already should know what the iPhone will be like.
    09-10-11 04:07 PM
    So how did you narrow it down to the 9900 and iPhone5?
    09-10-11 04:51 PM
    So how did you narrow it down to the 9900 and iPhone5?
    Yes I'm rather confused too, as those are completely different smart phones with different markets. So what is important to you? The best keyboard on a smartphone or a large hires touch screen? If web browsing is important you should be comparing the 9810/9850 to the iphone, not the 9900. While the 9900 has the largest screen on a candybar form factor phone, it is still not the best option if you do heavy web surfing.

CS
    09-10-11 05:34 PM
    For heavy surfing, I cannot recommend a BB. I just cannot do it. They are still behind iOS as far as the browser goes. As for everything else mentioned, BB hands down, especially the 99xx series. Keypad is just amazing, as is the screen. This isn't your co-workers 8530. This is a whole new beast, with all the goodies that you have grown accustomed to.
    09-10-11 05:44 PM
    Thanks all.
    Okay, my main thing is email. Thats why I love my Blackberry. And I dont want to "sellout", to the Iphone like at least half of my co workers did.
    Probably the only reason I want the IPhone is that I know it plays videos from a certain website that I look at daily. When I was out of town trying it out, I couldnt get it to barely even load that website, let alone play a video from it.
    If I knew for sure that it played the videos, I would take the Bold. I posted a thread the other day, asking if people could in fact, watch videos from one of my favourite websites. One person could, the other couldnt, and then it fizzled out. I will bring that back up, and if someone has the time, could they try watching a video for me please?
    So I guess to answer a question why IPhone or Bold, is because I love my old Tour, but I know the IPhone works well for somethings I want (GPS, browsing my favourite website), but not the email or notifictions that I have come to love
    Thanks all.
    09-10-11 06:32 PM
    late response but if Music is a high priority as it appears then i would not suggest an iPhone 4. there is no iPhone 5, but none have a memory card slot so you're pretty much stuck with what space it comes with (16GB?) and need to use iTunes to even transfer songs. if you prefer having a much larger database of MP3s then i suggest a Android or Blackberry, preferably the latter. but both have SD card slots which enable much higher space for music and video.

if you can live without Angry Birds a Blackberry seems perfect. as of yet it happens to rank as the number 1 game on iPhone as well as a selling point. not sure why folks knock Hotspot browser on a BlackBerry, it really offers no more features than the mobile Safari on an iPhone-either you can replace it with Opera Mini or in the iPhone's case Dolphin HD to gain more features

if the video site you're referring to is Youtube, the BB runs it, just that you go to m.youtube.com instead of going through an app like with the iPhone.
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 09-10-11 at 07:07 PM.
    09-10-11 07:04 PM
    Probably the only reason I want the IPhone is that I know it plays videos from a certain website that I look at daily. When I was out of town trying it out, I couldnt get it to barely even load that website, let alone play a video from it.
    If I knew for sure that it played the videos, I would take the Bold. I posted a thread the other day, asking if people could in fact, watch videos from one of my favourite websites. One person could, the other couldnt, and then it fizzled out. I will bring that back up, and if someone has the time, could they try watching a video for me please?
    Why don't you get the Bold and test it out yourself. You can use the 14 day return policy and within that time period you should know if it suits your web browsing and music needs.
    09-10-11 07:13 PM
    What's the website?

Also, since we don't know the specs for i5, it's hard to say right now. If, and it's a big IF, Apple includes microSDHC, that could sway you.

GPS. I'm on Sprint and use Telenav (included). Used it extensively (even an hour ago) and has been flawless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-11 07:20 PM
    i do not notice any difference on GPS on my Curve vs my iPhone 3GS. however the BB Curve at least requires a mobile service (signal) in order to download the maps and show the 3D view of your current position. othrerwise it defaults to 2D directions only. at least that is how MapQuest Mobile does on my Curve. on my iPhone it runs regardless of mobile network coverage. however i prefer my TomTom for long trips in my car for a GPS. i never could get used to using the GPS in a phone as much. for walking/ running biking maybe but not for travel
    09-10-11 07:30 PM
    the website is Racer X Online - Motocross & Supercross News
    I have posted in the 9900 forum, but not getting much help today.
    The latest video is called "meet the fans with Dano" or something like that.
    Last edited by chrispmoto; 09-10-11 at 08:46 PM.
    09-10-11 08:41 PM
    That website loaded just fine for me, and I loaded that video, and it played very nicely, and the quality is impressive.

9930 on Verizon using 3G. Didn't try wifi, but I am sure that it would be just fine. Took a little bit to load, but played just fine.
    09-10-11 10:14 PM
    Try the 9900 out, then try the 9810 out, then try the iDevice out when it does reach the store. Whichever one you finally decide you like, buy it. You'll have 14 days (or up to 30 depending) to return it in the case you're dissatisfied at all. Only thing with apple's iphone (battery wise): You cannot replace the battery unless you open up the unit itself.

We cannot decide for you, you should go with your own instincts. Make your own decision, don't let your wife tell you otherwise.

09-10-11 10:27 PM
    Wewt! Another person who can't think for themselves, just what the World needs.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    09-10-11 10:46 PM
    Narrowed it down to two. Bold 9900, or Iphone 5. My wife has been nagging me to go IPhone.
    We do have a Mac desktop, which I love.
    I email lots, play music, need a good GPS, and surf the web a bit.
    Dont play games, dont BBM much at all, and find there seems to be enough apps for the BB for me.
    Just a little concerned about the browser, the weaker camera, and having a good GPS.
    Is the Bold gonna do the trick?
    The browser is as good as the iphone's, the camera is just as good (I compared it to my friend's iphone 4 and I realized that the colors on his were better, but the pictures on mine were clearer), and I'm not sure about GPS because I use Google maps. I did see some GPS apps when I looked at the app store though.
    Edit: I have the 9810 and the camera on that is a little better than the camera on the 9900 because it has autofocus.
    09-10-11 10:50 PM
    If you like being absolutely tied to iTunes to get data on and off your phone, and want a better camera, get an iPhone 5. Supposed to be 8mp and 1080p vid recording.

I don't want to sound snobish, but I kinda wonder how you narrowed it down to those two phones myself.

09-11-11 12:17 AM
    I have a BB Bold 9780 for business and a iPhone 3GS for personal use. My emails arrive at my Exchange account on the iPhone at the same time as my BB and I have never missed an email to my knowledge. Bis is no better than Exchange on the iPhone. As for the Internet, the BB is like something from 10 years ago on a nokia. Too small to use, I would not attempt to use the BB. The keyboard is better on the BB if you are on the move. Battery life on the iPhone is bad! My battery in the iPhone is around 18 months old and is on it's way out. I can only get around 5 hours out of it, so it's going to cost me to have it replaced. Battery life on the BB is very good. No need to worry about it during the day. The BB is a working phone and that's it. Not sure I would replace the iPhone, as the novelty has worn off.
    09-11-11 01:18 AM
    If it's between the 9900 and next gen. iPhone, it's kind of a no-brainer in my opinion seeing as how even the current iPhone beats the 9900 in a lot of ways. Also take into account that by the time the new iPhone comes out, it'll probably be around the same price as the 9900.
    09-11-11 01:26 AM
    I don't think the iPhone beats the 9900 much at all. It depends on what you're measuring them by, what is or is NOT relevant to the given user, etc. For example, iPhone does not have the breed of device cryptography, does not have removable battery or memory, does not have a keyboard for those who like physical boards, requires iTunes for everything and does not support universal/mass storage, and has to be hacked to install apps from other stores, customize the interface, etc. So as you can see, strictly from my vantage, the 9900 would be a far more enjoyable and useful experience than the next gen iPhone.

nickdalzell1 likes this.
    09-11-11 01:50 AM
    It's kind of hard to give you solid tech advice since the specs for one of those phones is only rumor and speculation at this point, so I would have to say go with what will keep your wife from nagging you...
    sam_b77 likes this.
    09-11-11 02:06 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD