Hello all,

I live in the UK and am off to Sydney for almost 3 weeks (travelling next week) . This is likely the first of several trips over the next 6 months.

I have an unlocked (purchased handset only) Blackberry 9780 which I am currently running with my orange pay monthly sim in the UK. Id really like to use the 9780 when I am over there for both data and voice (mostly data) and oranges 9 per MB makes using roaming a non-option so.

I can get a sim from Vodafone Australia and add BB data but I am unsure as to any implications on BIS, specifically:

Will the new sim just work or will I have to do something to deactivate BIS for the other one? Currently on my 9780 I have no web BIS login with orange (I get pushed to device only) and the email setup app on the device is broken, only mobile.blackberry.com works but that is limited.
    Assuming it does work will existing emails and messages be deleted? Not a major issue as I have access to them via logicmail anyway.
    Are there likely to be any issues changing back when I return to the UK?
    Lastly I have an unlocked mifi dongle. A part of me is wondering if switching off data and using that with a local 3g sim would be easier? My only issue with that is from memory on my old Bold 9000 using it on wifi only was not as simple as youd think, not sure if this has changed?

If the hassle proves significant (I am likely to have 3-5 trips Id guess) I would even consider picking up a PAYG smartphone or BB locally and just going with that. Given the hit and miss nature of Oranges CS I fear that the fact that I did not buy the handset from them may totally confuse them (if that is an issue)

I know similar questions have been asked before but I have not been able to find an exact answer.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

Neil
    07-27-11 06:24 AM
    Hello I do not think so it should work right out the box as long as the device is not sim locked and one tip Optus has has a much better network than vodafone. If u get out of the city in NSW and Vic it should be fine but in WA SA and QLD u r better off with Optus.

Optus has a BB prepaid option

regards
    07-27-11 07:59 PM
    if your Blackberry bold is unlocked - you need to get a Vodafone data plan and the service book should be updated.

then you can use your bold there...
    07-27-11 08:49 PM
    It's not as easy as all that, xBlackberry. I'm not sure Vodafone have pre-paid Blackberry plans. I know Optus do (see: Mobile Phones | Broadband & Home Phone - Optus) and that would be the easiest option.
    07-27-11 09:18 PM
    You can get PRE Paid from Virgin in Australia... just get the Blackberry unlocked first so it can work with it.

Information found here:
    Store: SIM Kit: Prepaid Big Cap
    07-27-11 09:56 PM
    You can get PRE Paid from Virgin in Australia... just get the Blackberry unlocked first so it can work with it.

Information found here:
    Store: SIM Kit: Prepaid Big Cap
    Virgin Australia (Store: ProductChooser) don't even sell Blackberry's. Their Pre-Paid plans won't help this user with BIS.

Optus is the only Australian telco that sells pre-paid Blackberry data sims. http://www.optus.com.au/store/blackberry/prepaid
    Last edited by kevinnugent; 07-27-11 at 10:31 PM.
    07-27-11 10:27 PM
    Thanks all, so Optus looks the better bet. The trip has been delayed by a few weeks now (a good thing) so I have some time.

I suppose the question is if I pick up an optus sim on BB prepaid will it just work?
    07-28-11 04:19 AM
    Should do, Neil. Just make sure they "provision" it for you. Your phone should work fine.
    07-28-11 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD