iPhone ranked #1 in Personal AND Business use. And don't say "oh that's just JD power and associates" because if they would have had Blackberry ranked 1, you all would be posting links all over this site. Now it's time for RIM to finally do something. I hope this pushes them.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/10...ction-ratings/
    10-09-09 11:58 AM
    They can say what they want. Business use can mean virtually anything.

edit: To quote a well known figure: "Lies, damn lies and statistics."
    Last edited by i7guy; 10-09-09 at 12:08 PM.
    10-09-09 12:05 PM
    Good find!
    10-09-09 12:05 PM
    Good find. I'm no business user and would not use the same phone for business and personal use but Gmail's recent exchange server push settings for iPhone has me hard pressed to go to switch to a BB. Given that I only use gmail, I don't feel such a big urge to switch, other than the physical keyboard, which I am fine with on the iPhone. I'll see what happens when the 9700 comes.
    10-09-09 12:13 PM
    Interesting.

Speaking from personal experience, I was using a curve for a year then switched to the iphone. I was determined to give it a strong run. At first I was enamored by the iphone, all shiny and new with great graphics.

I stuck with it for a year and switch back to a BB due to a number of reasons. One was the on screen keyboard. I constantly mis-spelled words, fumbled with virtual keys, and generally disliked sending emails anymore. My responses to clients were short with limited details, whereas with the blackberry I can respond properly with less mistakes and with ease.

Second reason was for the actual apps. BB are more orientated towards business use, etc. iPhone - games and fart apps.

IMO, the BB is still better if you are business orientated. iPhone is great for personal use.

I do agree that RIM has to step up and make some radical changes though.
    Last edited by mrking.id; 10-09-09 at 12:52 PM.
    10-09-09 12:47 PM
    Also, I'd be willing to bet, that's only user opinion, not company opinion.
    As an IT pro, having everyone running around with tier iPods d/l whatever they want, and having no native security is a NIGHTMARE....
    10-09-09 01:15 PM
    Research in Motion has the recent acquisitions in hand to play in anybody's league.

For business smartphones, key factors include ease of operation (29%); operating system (23%); physical design (21%); features (16%); and battery function (11%).

Apple ranks highest among manufacturers of smartphones used primarily for personal reasons, with a score of 811, and performs particularly well in ease of operation, operating system, features and physical design. LG (776) and RIM BlackBerry (759) follow Apple in the rankings.

Among customers who use their smartphones primarily for business purposes, Apple ranks highest with a score of 803, followed by RIM BlackBerry (724).

Ratings | J.D. Power

I am confidant, Mike and Jim can hold their owns across the table from Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

Look to BlackBerry to build on their strength, keeping people connected with attention to privacy and security while earning plenty of money in the process.
    10-09-09 01:54 PM
    Research in Motion has the recent acquisitions in hand to play in anybody's league.

I am confidant, Mike and Jim can hold their owns across the table from Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

Look to BlackBerry to build on their strength, keeping people connected with attention to privacy and security.
    Not to mention there's no way iPhone could supplant the BB in government installations, that won't happen.
    10-09-09 01:56 PM
    Britney Spears was number one once, what does that say about people's choices.
    10-09-09 02:15 PM
    Hmmm

"Overall Satisfaction" I can imagine being high, there are a lot of people who simply love their iphones, some with good reason, others out of some kind of weird cult-like commitment to rave about all things apple, even if they aren't that great.

"Ease of operation" again, a score that's understandably high, the iphone OS and closed nature of the whole Apple experience means there's little to distract you, it's all big, intuitive buttons and if it had a proper keyboard would probably get 5/5 from me too.

"Operating System" Getting a bit shakey here, the operating system, imo, isn't great, and it's not great for some of the very reasons it deserves to score highly in "ease of operation" it's closed off unless you want to engage in a constant battle of cat and mouse with Apple to jailbreak. It's simple and intuitive, but there isn't any scope for changing or adapting the UI for *your* needs.

"Physical Design" I can understand people liking it, it's simple, fits OK in the hand and feels solid (wether it's possible for a phone with no removable parts except the SIM tray and four buttons to not feel solid is another question, it should feel bloody solid as there's nothing to fall off or break.)

"Handset Features" Here's where the iphone starts to fall down for me, it's still behind most proper smartphones in this respect, only just catching up the likes of HTC etc, it's more equipped than my Bold and still feels featureless when it comes to actual, useful stuff. Even after three hardware revisions and plenty of OS updates it's still not there, Iphone 4/5 might be very interesting though, especially if Apple step up to the competition and make the killer phone that the previous iphone *could* have been with just a tiny little bit more effort. Infact several years on my old N95-2 still bends the iphone over and rapes it hard when it comes to "handset features" (and apps don't count, I want a phone not a spirit level/toy gun/game boy/fart machine/tip calculator/car park locator)

"Battery Performance" They're bang on the money here. In my immediate viscinity at the office there are eight of us, two iphone users (2g and 3GS) an N97 user a BB user (me ) and four "regular" phone users. Care to guess which two people keep a phone charger on their desk for those cheeky mid afternoon battery top ups so they can get home at the end of the day with some charge left? and who can go two days between charges (at a push)

That said, it's J.D Power which IME is more about users opinions than hard facts, there are a lot of people who love their iphones for the wrong reasons, who would quite happily whack massive scores on it. The survey isn't really aimed at proffesionals and corporations who rely on complete management solutions such as BES, so the "business use" segment probably comes from end users choosing "business" over "personal" use on the survey, it could be literally anything, but it's doubtful that it came from the people who rely on a properly implimented solution for large numbers of users..
    Last edited by Tim_UK; 10-09-09 at 02:53 PM.
    10-09-09 02:50 PM
    "Battery Performance" They're bang on the money here. In my immediate viscinity at the office there are eight of us, two iphone users (2g and 3GS) an N97 user a BB user (me ) and four "regular" phone users. Care to guess which two people keep a phone charger on their desk for those cheeky mid afternoon battery top ups so they can get home at the end of the day with some charge left? and who can go two days between charges (at a push)

Multitasking was sacrificed to conserve power. Java can handle it, Apple, not so much.

Battery Function at 11% is where BlackBerry scored best and iPhone tanked. Not having the option of a swap in a fresh battery makes getting through a busy day difficult, I'am told.
    10-09-09 02:59 PM
    Multitasking was sacrificed to conserve power. Java can handle it, Apple, not so much.

Battery Function at 11% is where BlackBerry scored best and iPhone tanked. Not having the option of a swap in a fresh battery makes getting through a busy day difficult, I'am told.
    Fuel case, I love mine. And it now comes for the iPhone so at least there is something of an option for them.
    10-09-09 03:11 PM
    Hasn't this argument been argued to death?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 04:14 PM
    Not to mention there's no way iPhone could supplant the BB in government installations, that won't happen.
    iphones just dont have the integrated security to make them more appealing to governement agencies
    10-09-09 04:37 PM
    Yeah, but it's actually quite civil in this thread.

10-09-09 04:37 PM
    Hasn't this argument been argued to death?

Yay and nay, as far as I'm aware this isn't about the best device, simply about user satisfaction, the point is the iphone could easily scoop it without being a technically superior device. (I'm not saying it is or isn't of course, it's purely swings and roundabouts, and it's that bit that's been done to death already so is best left out here.)

I'm more than happy with my choice in phone (and my choice in portable media device (an 16gb ipod touch) and there are clearlym a lot of satisfied iphone users too, it's just not the right phone for me.)
    10-09-09 05:13 PM
    Britney Spears was number one once, what does that say about people's choices.
    Number 1 once?

Haha you must be living in a cave.

She's number one again-
    10-09-09 05:29 PM
    Please take that with a grain of salt. No offense, but this is how JD conducts their research

J.D. Power and Associates' marketing research consists primarily of consumer surveys.
    10-09-09 05:43 PM
    and how else do you gauge USER satisfaction pray tell? Poll the USERS!

Opinion, sure. But after all isnt that what CONSUMER satisfaction is all about- what the consumers like? (their OPINONS). Not what some analysts or web blog say about it. I know plenty of "analysts" and web blogs/sites who are bias to one product or another for various personal of financially provoked reasons. Theyre word is no better than a consumer survey.

Obviously the consumers have spoken and like their iphones. Its not surprising they always score high in overall satisfaction, design, ease of use, and OS- enough to carry average battery life and other areas that arent the top. The phone is easy to use, has a game-changing OS, the hardware is solid and good materials with little buttons or what not to break (plus their repairs/swapping due to AppleCare and CS is generally pretty good overall), and very easy for anyone to pick up and use.

And I agree with the thread title, step up RIM! All the other manufacturers are with their hardware and OSs- Pre, Android, even WM7 might be pretty decent. They NEED an OS overhaul to be competitive in the consumer space. Im all for them stepping up and competing. I like their hardware a lot generally, and now that theyre going trackpad and 3.2mp camera minimum in the high ends is nice. But the OS is so in need of help and holding it back vs the new devices coming out for general consumers.

Also IMO BIS isnt a great experience either. It lacks basic email functions ever other platform gives you out of the box- full IMAP/push Gmail(exchange-based) and Activesync. RIM needs to rethink their BIS/consumer email service and offer more that consumers want and are used to from every other OS- sync 2 way with email, full gmail support, folders, calendar/contact sync, etc- NOT only on the $45/month plus needing a corporate BES server. Why pay $30/month for a glorified inbox mess when all the other platforms support full sync/folders/calendar&contact sync with Exchange or Gmail for the same price for the average consumer? Its simply a bad/old business odel that needs to be updated for 2009/2010, its not 2000 anymore where thatll fly.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-09-09 at 08:08 PM.
    10-09-09 07:54 PM
    You guys know that by posting this thread, you're really doing nothing more than patting yourselves on the back right?

I'm sure RIM knows of this survey and all of the capabilities of the iPhone that you list over and over, and are already doing something about it. You act like they're going to lose their hold on the market overnight...
    10-09-09 09:10 PM
    *yawn* iPhone stats from what year? Maybe 2007, not 2009. JD powers ranks are bias, so who cares. They use year old to two year old stats. Only kids buy iPhones, and adults with weird fetishes.

10-09-09 09:52 PM
    Nothing beats personal experience.

10-09-09 10:00 PM
    and how else do you gauge USER satisfaction pray tell? Poll the USERS!

Opinion, sure. But after all isnt that what CONSUMER satisfaction is all about- what the consumers like? (their OPINONS). Not what some analysts or web blog say about it. I know plenty of "analysts" and web blogs/sites who are bias to one product or another for various personal of financially provoked reasons. Theyre word is no better than a consumer survey.

Obviously the consumers have spoken and like their iphones. Its not surprising they always score high in overall satisfaction, design, ease of use, and OS- enough to carry average battery life and other areas that arent the top. The phone is easy to use, has a game-changing OS, the hardware is solid and good materials with little buttons or what not to break (plus their repairs/swapping due to AppleCare and CS is generally pretty good overall), and very easy for anyone to pick up and use.

And I agree with the thread title, step up RIM! All the other manufacturers are with their hardware and OSs- Pre, Android, even WM7 might be pretty decent. They NEED an OS overhaul to be competitive in the consumer space. Im all for them stepping up and competing. I like their hardware a lot generally, and now that theyre going trackpad and 3.2mp camera minimum in the high ends is nice. But the OS is so in need of help and holding it back vs the new devices coming out for general consumers.

Also IMO BIS isnt a great experience either. It lacks basic email functions ever other platform gives you out of the box- full IMAP/push Gmail(exchange-based) and Activesync. RIM needs to rethink their BIS/consumer email service and offer more that consumers want and are used to from every other OS- sync 2 way with email, full gmail support, folders, calendar/contact sync, etc- NOT only on the $45/month plus needing a corporate BES server. Why pay $30/month for a glorified inbox mess when all the other platforms support full sync/folders/calendar&contact sync with Exchange or Gmail for the same price for the average consumer? Its simply a bad/old business odel that needs to be updated for 2009/2010, its not 2000 anymore where thatll fly.
    And how exactly can surveys NOT be biased? Your telling me a survey of opinions of a few people of TONS of people around the world is accurate enough to really determine what RIM needs to do? And how much more consumer friendly iPhone is?

Sht. I didnt participate in this survey.....

Anybody else here participate in this survey???????

I bet you wont find 1 person on CB who participated in that survey. Talk about Biased.
    10-09-09 10:03 PM
    Makes no sense when Blackberry sold more phone, **** they even sold more CURVES than Apple sold Iphones.
    10-09-09 10:22 PM

As a Mobile Business user the battery function rates far higher than 11% to me, Operating system and ease of Opperation should share 40% between the 2 not take 52% of the pie, because unless you are an IT professional or a Cellphone junky you don't know the difference between the Operating system and ease of opperation, they are one and the same. Joe Suit doesn't know how secure or open is operating system is, his opertating system keeps his unit from crashing and lets him do stuff which is just operation.

They also didn't include connectivity as a factor, that is a MAJOR reason to go with a BB over an iphone, the BB is just easier to stay connected faster with clients, emails come to you quick, you have PINGing to get attention, and sending images/video's of warrenty claims on the go can save days!
    Combine Documents to Go on my BB and it trumps an iphone for Mobile Business use.

I would like to know the sampling that was taken to reach these scores, and how many in the sampling had used Both devices.
    10-10-09 02:29 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD