Most of the posts I have read don't just say "I Defected", they say something more like "I got bored and picked up an Android or Apple and ended up coming back to my old Blackberry".

I also don't understand how you can make blanket statements about other products being superior when they are different. Ever hear the fraze "Thats like comparing Apples to Oranges"?

I wasn't saying one was better than the other. What I am trying to say(and you are proving my point) is that different phones are used for different things right now. But people don't want to have to choose between some features and not others. They want a phone that does generally everything. (Generally)

So with that statement, if Apple is getting security certification to enter into the government and corporate world, they are trying to make a device that covers many of peoples' all around needs. Business AND pleasure.

Apple just started with consumer and is working towards corporate. RIM is doing it the other way around.

The idea that there are devices for some stuff and devices for other stuff is archaic and RIM can't survive with that attitude, which is the attitude that they have been moving forward with (unsuccessfully). This attitude is perpetuated throughout this board. I understand that we are a CB forum and we are die hard but we are a different breed. The majority of people (read as the largest money spending group) doesn't share our views or the way that we think. So RIM has to compete with a better all around user experience and a better set of features past email and communications. Because that's what people want.
    dkonigs and gunderscorewil like this.
    08-02-11 10:57 AM
    I wasn't saying one was better than the other. What I am trying to say(and you are proving my point) is that different phones are used for different things right now. But people don't want to have to choose between some features and not others. They want a phone that does generally everything. (Generally)

So with that statement, if Apple is getting security certification to enter into the government and corporate world, they are trying to make a device that covers many of peoples' all around needs. Business AND pleasure.

Apple just started with consumer and is working towards corporate. RIM is doing it the other way around.

The idea that there are devices for some stuff and devices for other stuff is archaic and RIM can't survive with that attitude, which is the attitude that they have been moving forward with (unsuccessfully). This attitude is perpetuated throughout this board. I understand that we are a CB forum and we are die hard but we are a different breed. The majority of people (read as the largest money spending group) doesn't share our views or the way that we think. So RIM has to compete with a better all around user experience and a better set of features past email and communications. Because that's what people want.
    What will RIM be missing with the new 9900/9930 and 9850/8960?
    08-02-11 11:35 AM
    Well, I will not argue with you your profession and experience, but if as you say you know a lot about CPU architecture, I don't understand why you talk as if clock speed is the be-all and end-all.

Intel Core i7-875K vs AMD Phenom II X4 980. Both released in 2009, both are quad core processors. Both clocked at 3.0ghz and subjected to a 3DMark11 single core operation test, the Intel CPU gave a ~35% higher score.

In my post to you I understood that you were saying dual core CPUs won't necessarily offer better performance than a single core CPU, since software optimization plays a big role here. That is true, and I'm not saying anything against that. Before I go on, my sincere apologies for my harsh words in that post, and I commend you for taking it so well.

True, the iPhone4. The iPhone5 is confirmed to sport a dual core CPU and, and I'm quite confident that it will run much faster than the iP4. And this is because Apple will optimise iOS to do it. People are saying dual cores on a BlackBerry is useless because BBOS is efficient enough to run on a single core. What I say is, the OS is efficient ONLY to run on a single core. If BBOS is efficient on dual core CPUs, we will be seeing much better performance, and better battery life. Is this a problem with RIM? I don't know, you decide.
    I've been using bbs and the internet before most people even understood what it was.. So i ignore most insult or harshness and responded to the points you make.

I was referring to clock speed in relation to the same class cpu, not differing manufactures.. IE i5 dual core vs i5 quad core

Clock speed is not the end all and be all of cpus.. Most know this, but dual and quad cores don't directly relate to a faster phones and better experience. As I mentioned previously, the operating system plays a big role in how well the phones resources are displayed to the end user.. I quad core is not going to load a email or a webpage that much faster.. If you are extracting or installing a new app it may.

From reading this thread, it appears that most want BB to catch up in comparison to specs with android or the iphone. I rather BB catch up to user experience of IOS which is a mainly smooth, quick feeling os. The specs of the phone don't matter as long as the DPI specs of the phone are similar and the camera specs are similar.. how many cores, the speed of the cores, or how much memory each device has isn't really relevant if the UI of the OS is smooth and feelds quick. If the OS never makes you wait for it to catch up with your inputs then specs don't matter.. That is the point i'm trying to make.

Is BB behind the other phones? Yes.. But i don't believe it's the fact that the phones don't have dual or quad cpus or 2 gbs of ram. The iphone 4 is a 800 mhz phone and it has convinced many consumers to buy it.. WHy? because a) great marketing and b) the OS is fast and slick. I have an iphone 3gs that i can't use because its horrible compared to the 4. Its noticeably slower and the screen looks second rate.

From what i have seen from the 9900, 9860 the os is fast and responsive and the web browser is faster then the iphone 4. If this holds true in production units, then i think many people will reconsider getting a blackberry.
    08-02-11 11:38 AM
    What will RIM be missing with the new 9900/9930 and 9850/8960?
    Off the top of my head right now? App support is probably the biggest thing I can see lacking. Since I haven't played with the devices I can't speculate past that, but there is a lot riding on these phones so let's hope that there aren't a whole lot of things missing...

(Which I am not concerned with personally, I am looking at the bigger picture (past CB forums).
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 08-02-11 at 11:44 AM.
    08-02-11 11:41 AM
    From reading this thread, it appears that most want BB to catch up in comparison to specs with android or the iphone. I rather BB catch up to user experience of IOS which is a mainly smooth, quick feeling os.
    blackberry.
    The OS is exactly what I am pointing out. It's the user experience, navigation, options and abilities. An ecosystem that meshes well.
    08-02-11 11:43 AM
    The OS is exactly what I am pointing out. It's the user experience, navigation, options and abilities. An ecosystem that meshes well.
    But this has nothing to do with the specs of the phone!

I just switched to a 9700 from an iphone 4 (i know drastic measures) and find the BBos much better at navigating options.. Want to change ringtones its on the main page.. I can disable wifi/bluetooth/select 3g or 2g and setup bluetooth and wifi accounts from the main page.

On the iphone i have to go to settings then network or settings then sounds then whatever.

Other then the device is slow to respond sometime i find the BB quicker to use.. Now only if i had a touch screen it would kick ****.

The iphone isn't much better and annoys me alot.
    08-02-11 12:23 PM
    But this has nothing to do with the specs of the phone!

I just switched to a 9700 from an iphone 4 (i know drastic measures) and find the BBos much better at navigating options.. Want to change ringtones its on the main page.. I can disable wifi/bluetooth/select 3g or 2g and setup bluetooth and wifi accounts from the main page.

On the iphone i have to go to settings then network or settings then sounds then whatever.

Other then the device is slow to respond sometime i find the BB quicker to use.. Now only if i had a touch screen it would kick ****.

The iphone isn't much better and annoys me alot.
    Right and I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. However, syncing with the pc is a lot easier. Getting photos and music onto it is a lot easier.

There are little things that are easier on both. Again I am not saying iOS is better. There are just some things that are better on it and if RIM were able to adopt those and polish them they have a better chance of being adopted in the consumer market because they will have an all around better os... To survive as a company they have to be adopted into the consumer market because business people (millenials, my generation) are growing up and want a lot of features that include all aspects of their life. They want it in a shiny, easy to use package. BB OS really just needs to be polished and simplified just a little more: QNX is the answer but they need to hurry it up. That's all I am saying.
    08-02-11 01:20 PM
    Right and I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. However, syncing with the pc is a lot easier. Getting photos and music onto it is a lot easier.
    I disagree with this post. I can drag and drop my music into its music file and same thing with my photos, video, ringtones etc...

I do agree that the iPhone may do some things better but imo this isnt one of them. I will clarify. I know itunes will handle this. But I can do this on any pc as I can use widows explorer to navigate to the folder. I dont need to have itunes installed to do this. Of course this is pre ios5.
    Last edited by luna9698; 08-02-11 at 02:44 PM.
    08-02-11 02:40 PM
    Agreeded...

I'm suprised that all my friends choose the BB torch.. I told them the new ones were coming in the fall but they didn't want to wait.. I tried to convice them of the iphone when i was still liking it, minus my reception issues, but they weren't budging... Out of my closet friends, only i had something other then BB.

Even at work, there is an even split between BB and Iphones.. The couple of androids that were being used were upgraded to and iphone because android was not for them.

I think alot of the delcining market share is that there hasn't been a new bb in over 10 months which cripples the ability to sell the phones.

I could be wrong but i think with the release of the NEw Bbs, Rim will regain some of their marketshare.. Not enough to take away from android or apple i suppose but will help.

Before I agree that QNX will be the next great super phone i will need to know how they are going to implement it.. Is the os going to be the same as the playbook?? I would love if they did it this way.. It would be similar to how apple tablets and phones keep the ui the same.. but I don't see the qnx ui on the playbook working so well on a full screen phone...

Either way I love this playbook and i'm finally going to sell the ipad 1... It hasn't been used since i got this playbook.
    Last edited by adrenaline_x; 08-02-11 at 03:51 PM.
    08-02-11 02:43 PM
    I disagree with this post. I can drag and drop my music into its music file and same thing with my photos, video, ringtones etc...

I do agree that the iPhone may do some things better but imo this isnt one of them. I will clarify. I know itunes will handle this. But I can do this on any pc as I can use widows explorer to navigate to the folder. I dont need to have itunes installed to do this. Of course this is pre ios5.
    Okay, I'm going to reiterate that I am talking about the greater majority of people who are not on CB and are computer illiterate. Itunes is easy for the sake of it being a plug, sync and go system without any real thought.

So, I am glad that you can do so. But you are on an internet forum for people who are passionate about the platform and like to tinker around and try things. The greater majority, where the greater amount of money is, does not do this. So I am just trying to look at the bigger picture for RIM to regain market share, remain relevant and succeed.
    08-02-11 03:42 PM
    Okay, I'm going to reiterate that I am talking about the greater majority of people who are not on CB and are computer illiterate. Itunes is easy for the sake of it being a plug, sync and go system without any real thought.

So, I am glad that you can do so. But you are on an internet forum for people who are passionate about the platform and like to tinker around and try things. The greater majority, where the greater amount of money is, does not do this. So I am just trying to look at the bigger picture for RIM to regain market share, remain relevant and succeed.

Heheh.. I get mad everytime i use itunes for my iphone (music anyhow).. The inability to drag and drop songs or the inability to plays song when connected to a different computer pushed me to use third party tools to manage my phone.. The only time i used itunes was up backup and update my phone before using the latest jailbreak.
    08-02-11 03:52 PM
    Heheh.. I get mad everytime i use itunes for my iphone (music anyhow).. The inability to drag and drop songs or the inability to plays song when connected to a different computer pushed me to use third party tools to manage my phone.. The only time i used itunes was up backup and update my phone before using the latest jailbreak.
    I hate that you are locked down to one computer. Annoys me.

That's why I use the Getting Started at Amazon MP3: Shop 16 million songs, play your music from the cloud on any Android device, PC, or Mac with Amazon Cloud Drive and Amazon Cloud Player.

Amazon Cloud Player for all my music. Sorry about the above link I thought you could edit the name of it. But whatevs. That's what I use and it's simply amazing. I recommend it to everyone.
    08-02-11 03:58 PM
    I mostly listen to live dj PAs that are about an hour long... So I wont' be finding those in itunes or amazon
    08-02-11 05:22 PM
    I see. Thanks for the explainations. I was under the impression that the gpu was a separate chip. Like a desktop computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    For some reason the terms integrated and discrete/dedicated didn't "port" smoothly from the desktop world jargon. I've read reviews of phones having "dedicated GPUs" and I was like really? Turned out that the reviewers didn't know better and it was really an integrated GPU on the CPU itself.
    08-02-11 06:36 PM
114 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD