This has been on my mind for a good while, and everybody has chimed in on this before, but damn it makes me feel a little bitter about RIM releasing mid to low-mid grade hardware here soon, and once again instantly obsoleting everyone. Let me first mention that my definiton of obsolete, in terms of software, is software and/or hardware that is no longer grown or developed at the end of it's major release. Thus, dead and done. End of life.

Now, for some examples. Android, let's take the original Droid X. Has been kept up to date and alive thru two major releases and it's looking like a third too. Apple; iPhone 3gs is likely the longest software life cycle I've seen on a smartphone yet. So many releases of iOS and it was able to be up to date for so long. All present Windows Phone 7 devices are going to receive what Microsoft themselves have stated is almost a major enough release to be Windows Phone 8, the infamous "Mango."

Then we have BlackBerry, where all but a couple devices could transition from OS 5 to OS 6. None of the present OS 6 devices can go any further. Instant dropoff. Then OS 7. It's already known that OS 7 devices will not run QNX, so they are already confirmed to be toast before they hit the shelf. More and more phones are going dual core and so on, but while I am sometimes really tempted by other devices solely for their hardware, it takes a lot more than that for me to switch.

I'm not here to trash RIM because I love my Berry and the security it offers, but I simply find it ridiculous that they give such short life cycles for everything they release. I just feel a little let down that every other platform's devices get to live a lot longer and see real upgrades to their software instead of requiring a new device straightaway.
    Personally I believe it's bad management or corporate culture, whatever you wanna call it. RIMs not really the "greatest" company, ya know? But they put out a heckuva functional phone with secure software. I even love my PlayBook Granted I have other toys to use...

But yeah, if the os7 phones are really doa, that will be a disappointment. Not surprising though.
    07-31-11 04:20 PM
    The problem with blackberry is that rim has not kept up with the technology and has fallen too far behind other platforms. With such love for a product and so many posts on this you would think rim would comment or make a statement to help heal some wounds. I left after the storm 2 I couldn't believe after the first one they screwed up the second one. Rim needs to step up to the plate and fast!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 05:11 PM
    Although you can put iOS 4.2 or 4.3 or whatever on an older iPhone, I doubt it runs all that well from what I have heard, at least not with a good load of apps. Same goes for older Android phones. I remember when the original Droid etc. got pushed the first major Android upgrades, and reading about a lot of performance issues on that older hardware. Then people start trying to shrink the OS, etc.

Of course you can argue they should still provide the updates and let users choose to install or not. I guess that is fair. Right now with resources stretched thin at RIM (so we all hear), I can't imagine them doing much other than trying get the new stuff out the door though.
    I think that this is the real issue with RIM. If things are 'stretched tight' why the **** do they have People working on updates for the storm and the old curves instead of developing newer devices and newer, up to date software. And why do they have people working on the 9790! this device seems like the most pointless waste of time and money when the 9900 is coming out! Again, RIM doesn't know how to manage resources and stop production of something that will be pointless, when it has begun. When people typically upgrade their phones every 12 to 24 months, it seems quite uneconomical to have people and resources working on OS updates for phones older than 3 years. This seems like RIMs way of holding on to old customers instead of inticing new customers from different platforms. And the thing is, those old customers will eventually upgrade their phones, and if the new BlackBerry phones don't deliver the functionality that people want, those old customers (like me!) will switch platforms.

If things are so 'tight' then RIM needs to look to the future and stop looking at the past otherwise the future will not contain Blackberry's and that would be a real shame.

07-31-11 05:31 PM
    BlackBerries don't get major updates because the hardware can't handle it. It's as simple as that. The PlayBook is the first RIM device in years that gets released with top of the line hardware. Even the new phones coming out in a few days or weeks don't have a screen that can rival the iPhone 4 which came out over a year ago. There isn't a dual-core handset in the lot while all the major phones coming out are dual core. And we RIM fan boys rationalize that we don't "need" a dual-core processor. I refuse to upgrade my Torch. When the first QNX phone comes out, it better have specs that rival the best out there or I'm gone.

Posts like this make me laugh.

Please explain why the newest blackberries need a dual core processor? Because the os is slow? Doesnt appear so.

If u only look at spec when deciding on a phone then you are foolish. the iphone 4 has a 800 mhz cpu and it for the most part is smooth. Adding another cpu wouldn't change the experience with the os.

Comments like this reminds me of the argument i had with my boss shortly before deciding to quit. His argument against building media pcs in house allowing us to cut the cost of the pc in half as well as shorting the turn around time for computer replacement to 2 days from 3 weeks was that the BIOS was different. the bios.. didnt matter the the in house pc would be faster and cooler but we couldnt use it because thenbios was made by phoenix instead of america trends.or whatever.

instead of judging any product soley on specs try out the device to see what the experience is.

Personally if a phone os is quick to respond, transitions are fast screen color depth and resolution are awesome and the device works as expected then its a great device. Specs dont mean **** if the experience is horrible!
    Branta and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    07-31-11 06:03 PM
    Rim is a joke. I paid $200 for a 9650, vs paying $200 for an evo. The 9650 had horrible reception, horrible battery life... And when I upgraded to OS6.. the phone would crash while multitasking. I've had three blackberries before the 9650. All of which were great. So I know rim is a capable company. But I feel as if they dropped the ball around 09-10. I just paid $200 dollars for a phone that is basically a tour with a track pad. Not $150.. not $99.. $200. High end territory. I had been robbed. Not only did I over pay for the phone.. I was over paying for my data plan. 69.99? NOPE. You have a smartphone.. 79.99. Ten dollar premium data charge. Are you kidding me!!!!!?? My phones crashes whilst watching YouTube videos! Are you kidding me!!!?? My phones struggles to load basic web pages!!!!!??? Are you serious!!!!???? Im in a metro area.. yet I'm roaming!!!!!! Are you serious RIM!? $200 for a TOUR 9650!!!!?? That phone is a disgrace to the Bold name. So I nicknamed it the tour 9650.. aka.. the brownberry. Rim is a joke. $80 data plan for a browsing experience that hasn't changed since 2006. I have an Evo now.. which I originally picked up as collateral for the 9930. I now tho.k I'm going to hold on to this bad boy. I refuse to do business with a company that will willingly take advantage of its customers. I look at the future, and its the same song. OS7.. qnx. Screw Rim. If they want MY business.. they're going to have to come down on their prices. The most I'd pay for a bb is $129. I refuse to pay today prices, for yesterday tech. And that's why I refuse to do business with Rim. Step your game up!!!!! The 9930 could have crushed the iPhone4. Now the iPhone5 is on the way.. and you really expect somebody to get a 9930 when they will be priced the same?? That's clownish!

So tell us how you really feel. Lol. Seriously if you had that many problems with a Bold then it must have been defective.

07-31-11 06:14 PM
    should also add that the dual core android phones are still slow and laggy with dual core cpus..

just switched back to bb after 3 years of using 3g, 3gs and iphone 4
    07-31-11 06:17 PM
    Life is too short to be bitter about phones!

CGI and Alberta Blue like this.
    07-31-11 06:23 PM
    I'm glad you're laughing. Many of us are not.

The point of this thread, if you haven't read it, is about how BlackBerry phones are released with bare minimum specs and can't handle the next generation OS so never get upgraded. I bought the Torch knowing its specs were average at best. I knew it might not be able to run QNX but at least I thought it would run OS 6.1 (now called OS 7 because RIM wants look like it's keeping up with the competition). It turns out the Torch probably will never get a new OS. It runs OS6 well enough but it can't run anything newer. The new phones will run OS 7 just fine I'm sure but they won't run QNX. A dual-core processor and 1Gb or RAM may be overkill for OS7 but it would come in handy six months from now when QNX is available, don't you think? See, that was the point.
    07-31-11 07:06 PM
    should also add that the dual core android phones are still slow and laggy with dual core cpus..
    True enough. I think Android is a pig. I've played with a ton of high-end Android phones and they all lag at least as much as my Torch. The iPhone, however, doesn't lag. With all its faults, the iPhone 4 and iOS4 offer the most fluid experience of any smartphone in my experience.
    07-31-11 07:09 PM
    Heck, just be glad you even have a phone to use rather than about old/obsolete stuff.

I still got my p4 computer, I got an upgrade to it's processor, socet 478. I'm fully aware it's obsolete, but I love it. I don't throw away anything that gets declared obsolete either. I use it until it ceases to even function at all.

Same for my 9700. I have a spare 8130 to use if anything goes wrong. I don't care about obsoleting. Heck, even laptops and netbooks are going through it.

Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    07-31-11 07:46 PM
    No way would I EVER waste a second of my life feeling bitter about a phone. Its just not a big deal in my life because my BlackBerry works.

Eli_B likes this.
    07-31-11 08:07 PM

just switched back to bb after 3 years of using 3g, 3gs and iphone 4

Exactly.

Dual core Android phones are kinda like a quad core PC running Windows 95. Lots of power that the Os can't take advantage of. But hey at least it will give people something to foolishly brag about.
    07-31-11 08:30 PM

Please explain why the newest blackberries need a dual core processor? Because the os is slow? Doesnt appear so.

If u only look at spec when deciding on a phone then you are foolish. the iphone 4 has a 800 mhz cpu and it for the most part is smooth. Adding another cpu wouldn't change the experience with the os.

Comments like this reminds me of the argument i had with my boss shortly before deciding to quit. His argument against building media pcs in house allowing us to cut the cost of the pc in half as well as shorting the turn around time for computer replacement to 2 days from 3 weeks was that the BIOS was different. the bios.. didnt matter the the in house pc would be faster and cooler but we couldnt use it because thenbios was made by phoenix instead of america trends.or whatever.

instead of judging any product soley on specs try out the device to see what the experience is.

Personally if a phone os is quick to respond, transitions are fast screen color depth and resolution are awesome and the device works as expected then its a great device. Specs dont mean **** if the experience is horrible!
    Sounds like you're the one who don't know a thing about specs. Do you have any clue what CPU architecture is about?

And for some people who say feeling bitter about a phone is pointless, learn something called the "buyer's remorse", and understand the fact that consumers have the right to complain when a product they buy is lacking in many ways. Just because you're satisfied with a mediocre product doesn't mean others have to put up with it.
    07-31-11 08:30 PM
    Time to let it go then. Save some money and buy a different phone. Complaining doesn't solve anything for anyone.

And then you can stop being bitter.

07-31-11 08:37 PM
    I would never EVER have buyer's remorse either. I'd just learn and move on in my life.

07-31-11 08:42 PM
    @Adrenaline_X: I can answer that in line with my own gripe. I agree we should be going to dual-core because
    1. Every other mid to high end device is going that way. It's like coming out with a Pentium 4 computer while everyone else is selling i3, i5, etc.
    2. Because that's where the world is heading, it certainly allows for a longer device life (in terms of software). RIM's devices seem to be built with hardware that's just good enough for a specific version of BlackBerry OS (could be better or at least "more" but isn't.) If they would've went dual-core, for example, with the upcoming 99** series, the devices wouldn't have to be finished growing after a year, they could've gone further and been upgraded to QNX, which at least two years of life would've been awesome for those who sign two year contracts no? Being up to date for more than one year, hecks yeah.

07-31-11 08:43 PM
    Rim is a joke. I paid $200 for a 9650, vs paying $200 for an evo. The 9650 had horrible reception, horrible battery life... And when I upgraded to OS6.. the phone would crash while multitasking. I've had three blackberries before the 9650. All of which were great. So I know rim is a capable company. But I feel as if they dropped the ball around 09-10. I just paid $200 dollars for a phone that is basically a tour with a track pad. Not $150.. not $99.. $200. High end territory. I had been robbed. Not only did I over pay for the phone.. I was over paying for my data plan. 69.99? NOPE. You have a smartphone.. 79.99. Ten dollar premium data charge. Are you kidding me!!!!!?? My phones crashes whilst watching YouTube videos! Are you kidding me!!!?? My phones struggles to load basic web pages!!!!!??? Are you serious!!!!???? Im in a metro area.. yet I'm roaming!!!!!! Are you serious RIM!? $200 for a TOUR 9650!!!!?? That phone is a disgrace to the Bold name. So I nicknamed it the tour 9650.. aka.. the brownberry. Rim is a joke. $80 data plan for a browsing experience that hasn't changed since 2006. I have an Evo now.. which I originally picked up as collateral for the 9930. I now tho.k I'm going to hold on to this bad boy. I refuse to do business with a company that will willingly take advantage of its customers. I look at the future, and its the same song. OS7.. qnx. Screw Rim. If they want MY business.. they're going to have to come down on their prices. The most I'd pay for a bb is $129. I refuse to pay today prices, for yesterday tech. And that's why I refuse to do business with Rim. Step your game up!!!!! The 9930 could have crushed the iPhone4. Now the iPhone5 is on the way.. and you really expect somebody to get a 9930 when they will be priced the same?? That's clownish!

Bet you typed this on a Blackberry. Would have been tough to do on a glass keyboard.
    07-31-11 08:44 PM
    Time to let it go then. Save some money and buy a different phone. Complaining doesn't solve anything for anyone.

And then you can stop being bitter.

Easier said then done my friend. I'm not the only Storm user who got burnt, and if you're one you'll find it hard to trust RIM again. And RIM screwed up twice in a row, Storm then Storm 2. Brand recognition doesn't just come out of the thin air like that, and is not based solely on a well designed logo.

Anyway, while complaining might not solve anything for anyone immediately, it is feedback, and feedback is valuable. It seems that the boards on the internet have some sort of aversion to complaints or negative feedback. People should learn to take feedback in their stride.
    07-31-11 08:48 PM
    Has anyone seen pictures of the new 8800 series?
    Yeah try to type those on storm, wouldn't be to much fun..

Yawnnnnz:-) :-) :-)
    07-31-11 08:57 PM
    Hey if being bitter and complaining works for you, then be my guest! Its just not what I would ever do.

07-31-11 09:01 PM
    It's a strange pathology that these grumblers and complainers exhibit. They've found their bliss in Apple and Android yet they're here endlessly complaining about BlackBerry.
    danimalchil likes this.
    07-31-11 09:24 PM
    All these tragic stories, <sympathy> for what I have never truly experienced.

AceStreaming likes this.
    07-31-11 09:35 PM
    @Tonis; nah. I'm still here.

@TequilaAddict; two types of people that cannot understand each other; the people who see a "phone as a phone", and people who live their lives on their smartphone (managing their finances, photo albums, reading the news, and a hundred other things.) And get this, they even form an emotional attachment to such a device because it means so much to them and as such plays a functional and relevant part in their lives. Therefore, it can become a challenge to find the best possible experience and most functional possible device. It is normal therefore, to person B mentioned here, to have found what they believe is the best, but decisions of the maker are misguided enough to have negative consequences on an otherwise perfect (for me) platform. Releasing a product, and not giving it new life in short term (which I consider one year to be), whereas everyone else does.

So yes, to person B, this can leave you feeling a little salty. Invariably, person A, you, can't possibly understand it and wonder why we're so goofy.

07-31-11 10:09 PM
    Agree with above. Very clear.

Yawnnnnz:-) :-) :-)
    07-31-11 10:11 PM
    @Tonis; nah. I'm still here.
    Still here??? Well I hope you're not "getting ready" to "jump ship" or "make the leap to iOs or Android" .... That could be viewed (by some analyst) as loss of "market share" for my preferred manufacturer! Surely s/he would call for a "management shakeup" or even a scrapping of the entire BlackBerry platform!!!

07-31-11 10:28 PM
114 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD