Hi everyone!

There's been a lot of speculation lately of what exactly RIM plans to show off at CES and Mobile World Congress. Reports are that CES is for Tablet OS 2.0 while MWC is being used to showcase BlackBerry 10.

The wording of this seems to suggest that OS2.0 and BB10 are different OSs. However, doesn't this conflict with RIM's goals to unify the smartphone and tablet experiences with one OS? And, at the core of that OS would be the QNX microkernel?

So, what is the difference between Tablet OS and BlackBerry 10? Are they even different?
    Or are they one and the same?

Thank you!
    01-08-12 12:28 AM
    They are both the QNX OS. The only differences are the features each one will be released with. Eventually it will merge into one release with all the same features. And yes you are right it is confusing calling the same OS by 2 different names.
    01-08-12 12:35 AM
    I want to be able to test out some QNX/bb10 phones once they're live models. That will make my day.
    01-08-12 03:05 AM
    I think that Tablet OS 2.0 is just to keep the PlayBook users satisfied until the release of BlackBerry 10, which both devices will have when it's released.
    01-08-12 02:05 PM
    Playbook OS is the testing and development platform for the new BB 10. I wouldn't be surprised if the PB OS changed to BB 10 or whatever name they are going to stick with. I believe that the PHONE and TABLET OS with be the same name in time. My 2cents!!!!!!!
    01-08-12 02:35 PM
    At the time it came out, it made sense. We already had BBOS and this was the BB Tablet OS. Calling it BB10 back then would have been really confusing. (BBX trademark issues aside) I too think they will come together at some point, although they still might make a name distinction due to wifi-cellular needs. Even then, it will most likely be the same on the backside, with a few different install versions.
    01-08-12 02:59 PM
    Playbook Tablet OS 2 is not BB10 directly. BB10 will be based off the same base as OS 2 and will develop even more to adapt to phones. Eventually both the PB and phones will run the same OS, or that is what RIM has been shooting for. Clear as mud isnt it lol
    01-08-12 03:32 PM
    So the OS that will run on future phones, BlackBerry 10, will be a bit different than Tablet OS 2.0?

Then after we get phones that are running BB10, the PB OS will be updated to the same version, right?

I guess that if we think about it like this, it made a lot sense to release the PlayBook before phones running PB software, as RIM's future would more likely be decided by phone sales rather than the still-blooming tablet market. This also allowed them (hopefully) to develop a robust phone OS using the PB as a sort of test device.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-08-12 05:44 PM
    OS 2.0 is released to gain time and shut PB users until the release of BB10.
    01-08-12 11:37 PM
    OS 2.0 is the operating system the Playbook should have launched with in 2011, RIM are just very late to the party.

However it does seem on the surface to have some cool features which may just leapfrog the competition, and that makes me happy and revives the potential of my Playbook. All they have to do is release it on time and deliver on the promise.
    My hope is that because this promise/commitment of OS 2.0 is not just to normal consumers but also the business communities RIM are more likely to deliver what they have promised, let's hope they can do so within the timeframe they have set themselves.

With more 7" TABLETS being announced at CES 2012 I think the Playbook would still be the best of the crop with what RIM have announced in OS 2.0
    01-10-12 03:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD