i have been singing this song for months, and getting mixed reactions both from my family and from my Unit.

Here's a couple of reason why i strongly feel that the trend to tablets ( iPad, Galaxy, Playbook, Xoom etc) WILL eventually lead to the decrease in smartphone popularity, specifically those running in iOS and Android.

1. Price
    -with majority of the tablets starting at $499 without contract and a few hundreds less if you lock yourself on a 1-2 yr Commitment with Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile, it's easier to pick up a tablet than a smartphone OFF contract.

2. Screen / Real State
    -Size does matter. whether it's the "fit in your jeans" OR " look i have an Ipad2" screen size, it's hard to go back to a smaller screen (Yes, 4 inch is still small), when you can have the same pleasure... of an iOS/Android/QNX on a bigger, better, more awesome LCD panel.

3. Data Speed ( 4G LTE)
    - Thunderbolt and Battery life is an Oxymoron. What's the use of having a 4G smartphone if you won't last 6 hours using the darn thing?
    - with a tablet, all you need is a Mi-Fi or a USB Dongle and you won't have to worry missing a Call ( from your phone) due to battery drain.

4. Status symbol
    - which device got more WOW and Ooh Ahh, the Verizon iphone 4 or the iPad2?
    -let's admit it, people BUY stuffs because they're keeping up with the Joneses, we don't NEED a newer iphone/iPad every year.. We WANT it every year.

just my 2 cents.
    Xopher likes this.
    04-21-11 11:57 PM
    so you are saying carry 2 devices to do what one can accomplish very well for 95% of what you need it to do?
    Last edited by howarmat; 04-22-11 at 05:04 AM.
    04-22-11 04:31 AM
    I kinda agree, if I would buy a PlayBook I would probably change to a Pearl 3G, my wife has one and it's just so pocketable. My 9700 feels huge beside it and the screen is not that much smaller. I have many pockets that would allow me to carry a playbook, I carry a kindle all the time these days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 04:42 AM
    2. Screen / Real State
    -Size does matter. whether it's the "fit in your jeans" OR " look i have an Ipad2" screen size, it's hard to go back to a smaller screen (Yes, 4 inch is still small), when you can have the same pleasure... of an iOS/Android/QNX on a bigger
    Thats what she said. What is it you're really talking about here?

I think tablets won't take over the market for awhile as I have no use for them because my phone does everything very well. Tablets still have a very long way to go to compete with laptops in functionality.
    04-22-11 05:35 AM
    i never gave this much thought but it is an interesting theory. For the most part though I think people will stick with their smartphones. My belief is the tablets are going to put a major hurt on the laptop sales. i have an iPad and Playbook. The Playbook does about everything I would do on my computer. In fact I haven't used my computer since I got it. The fact that you can hook up a keyboard and mouse makes it even better. For the road warrior, the Playbook is a must have because it is a great extension of my BB.
    04-22-11 06:46 AM
    I may get a tablet IDK but right now money is tight. So I have to do everything off of my Bold which kinda sucks because the screen is small and the browser takes forever to load pages and Opera Mini is nice but sometimes feels a little odd to use. I just don't see the need as much though except for the bigger screen.
    04-22-11 10:47 AM
    EVERY TIME a new touch screen phone/device comes out, EVERYONE assumes it's the next iPhone killer. I do like the tablets but i dont think they will replace our smartphones any time soon.
    04-22-11 10:56 AM
    The tablet is nowhere close to being a smartphone killer. I haven't even considered a tablet yet, and until my smartphone can't do almost everything a tablet can do, I won't switch.
    04-22-11 11:04 AM
    i have been singing this song for months, and getting mixed reactions both from my family and from my Unit.

Here's a couple of reason why i strongly feel that the trend to tablets ( iPad, Galaxy, Playbook, Xoom etc) WILL eventually lead to the decrease in smartphone popularity, specifically those running in iOS and Android.

1. Price
    -with majority of the tablets starting at $499 without contract and a few hundreds less if you lock yourself on a 1-2 yr Commitment with Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile, it's easier to pick up a tablet than a smartphone OFF contract.

2. Screen / Real State
    -Size does matter. whether it's the "fit in your jeans" OR " look i have an Ipad2" screen size, it's hard to go back to a smaller screen (Yes, 4 inch is still small), when you can have the same pleasure... of an iOS/Android/QNX on a bigger, better, more awesome LCD panel.

3. Data Speed ( 4G LTE)
    - Thunderbolt and Battery life is an Oxymoron. What's the use of having a 4G smartphone if you won't last 6 hours using the darn thing?
    - with a tablet, all you need is a Mi-Fi or a USB Dongle and you won't have to worry missing a Call ( from your phone) due to battery drain.

4. Status symbol
    - which device got more WOW and Ooh Ahh, the Verizon iphone 4 or the iPad2?
    -let's admit it, people BUY stuffs because they're keeping up with the Joneses, we don't NEED a newer iphone/iPad every year.. We WANT it every year.

just my 2 cents.
    gee, I thought I was "the Joneses" I get what I want, when it's available. Has nothing to do with what someone else has. that's the beauty of not being insecure or peer-dependent.
    04-22-11 11:58 AM
    Hey, what kind of phone call quality you gonna get with those tablets guys?
    Let's compare shoes to tv's too!

K Bear likes this.
    04-22-11 12:03 PM
    EVERY TIME a new touch screen phone/device comes out, EVERYONE assumes it's the next iPhone killer. I do like the tablets but i dont think they will replace our smartphones any time soon.
    This is kind of what I've been thinking. The tablets have a ways to go before they come close to being smartphone killers. Not everyone buys the next shiny thing just to have the next shiny thing.
    04-22-11 12:13 PM
    Hey, what kind of phone call quality you gonna get with those tablets guys?
    Let's compare shoes to tv's too!

who said that the tablet will replace the mobile phone? ( dumb phones, feature phones etc)

what i have observed ( as having an ipad myself) from people who currently owns a tablet, is a dramatic decrease in their use of their "smartphones" for features like multi-media, calendar, "place your favorite app" here etc.
    04-22-11 12:14 PM
    who said that the tablet will replace the mobile phone? ( dumb phones, feature phones etc)

what i have observed ( as having an ipad myself) from people who currently owns a tablet, is a dramatic decrease in their use of their "smartphones" for features like multi-media, calendar, "place your favorite app" here etc.
    Isn't that what your title of thread refers to; iPhone/Smartphone killer? In order for them to kill our smartphones, they would have to make calls. Doesn't make sense to carry around 2 devices. They may kill netbooks or laptops, but that's many,many years away too.
    04-22-11 12:42 PM
    I don't think the tablet will kill the smartphone, I think it will cause them to get smaller and smaller again. The Tablet is already hurting the netbook if not killing it already. According to a cnet podcast I listened to this morning it's already doing it.

I like where this is going. Playbook is already powerful enough to serve as a computer when you get home/office, just ad the monitor, mouse and keyboard

04-22-11 01:22 PM
    Isn't that what your title of thread refers to; iPhone/Smartphone killer? In order for them to kill our smartphones, they would have to make calls. Doesn't make sense to carry around 2 devices. They may kill netbooks or laptops, but that's many,many years away too.
    we all carry more than 1 device now.
    anyway, i was referring to SMARTphones ( not the typical call/text phones) and NO the tablet doesn't need to make calls ( although it can right now, through skype and other VOIP) to diminish the power that the smartphone have.

Let me give you guys a concrete example.
    my wife has an iphone 4 and we're paying for Calls and data on it.
    since she bought the ipad, we have noticed how she's using the Data subscription for the iphone which is getting lesser everyday.

She has the Ipad 3G with AT&T which performs ALL of the multimedia/ web surfing, calendar appointments etc that she used to do on the iphone4.

She came to a point that she's strongly considering on giving up the data and the iphone 4 and switching to a regular "dumb" phone that she can make/receive calls with ( and some SMS/MMS)

we figured there's really no sense paying AT&T $30/month for data that she's no longer using ( iphone 4). and she doesn't mind having the ipad with her since she carry a bag to work everyday.

the only time she doesn't carry the iPad is when we're out for a movie or dinner and that's the time the iphone 4 gets some attention from her.
    04-22-11 02:21 PM
    your wife goes against practically everyone on this that calls the ipad "non portable" unlike the PB
    04-22-11 02:32 PM
    we all carry more than 1 device now.
    anyway, i was referring to SMARTphones ( not the typical call/text phones) and NO the tablet doesn't need to make calls ( although it can right now, through skype and other VOIP) to diminish the power that the smartphone have.

Let me give you guys a concrete example.
    my wife has an iphone 4 and we're paying for Calls and data on it.
    since she bought the ipad, we have noticed how she's using the Data subscription for the iphone which is getting lesser everyday.

She has the Ipad 3G with AT&T which performs ALL of the multimedia/ web surfing, calendar appointments etc that she used to do on the iphone4.

She came to a point that she's strongly considering on giving up the data and the iphone 4 and switching to a regular "dumb" phone that she can make/receive calls with ( and some SMS/MMS)

we figured there's really no sense paying AT&T $30/month for data that she's no longer using ( iphone 4). and she doesn't mind having the ipad with her since she carry a bag to work everyday.

the only time she doesn't carry the iPad is when we're out for a movie or dinner and that's the time the iphone 4 gets some attention from her.
    I do see what you're saying and in your case it would make sense for her to drop the iPhone since she has the 3G iPad. But what I'm saying is that, why would u want to carry around 2 devices; phone for calls, text and a tablet for data and everything else. Just not convienent, imo. But to each his own.
    04-22-11 02:48 PM
    your wife goes against practically everyone on this that calls the ipad "non portable" unlike the PB
    7 inches is an OK size for me
    that's why in terms of portability, the playbook and galaxy beat the ipad/ipad2.
    going back to my Boss, well she used to carry a 6.7 lbs laptop prior to the ipad.. so from her perspective.. she 's carrying Less right now.
    04-22-11 03:08 PM
    I have to agree. If I had a tablet that could make calls, I'd be fine without carrying a smartphone too. Just let me have speakerphone, bluetooth headset, or even a wired headset and I'd be good to go.

It would make it a lot easier to look things up while on a call, take notes (which I do now with my BB), add appointments to the calendar, and so on.

I never liked holding my phone up to my ear during a call. I almost always take notes, so I am already either using speakerphone, or headset.
    04-22-11 04:09 PM
    It did for me (killed the idea of a large touch screen phone).

Batteries are not improving fast enough. Why drain my phone by using it to browse when the PB does this better than ANY smartphone.
    04-22-11 04:16 PM
    Hmmm. The idea of the cell phone as an app + SIM card has always appealed to me.

I'd like that on Windows 7 please. Just put the SIM card into a USB stick and it's done.
    04-22-11 04:47 PM
    Seems strange hearing this in a BB forum. All I ever hear is that a BB is a communication device, and I agree. It's not about the Internet or apps.

Though we are becoming a multi-device community, I disagree that we will all carry around more than one device all the time. My BB is always in my pocket for communication. I will not carry around a tablet in my pocket for Internet access (need bigger pockets) or games. They have specific uses and, at those times, it's nice to have something smaller than a laptop to carry around.

Bottom line, the smartphone is here to stay for a while.
    04-23-11 02:25 PM
    Tabs are not smartphone killers, even though I'm sure certain Blackberry fanbois are deparately hoping it does. Tabs are replacing netbooks & laptops, not smartphones. In the business world, carrying a tab is more portable and practical than netbooks & laptops. I'd love to have an iPad, Galaxy tab, or any other tab (not named Playbook). My work tab is heavy. I have a 15" Fujitsu Lifebook that is a monster to carry from room to room. Give me a tab and I'd be grinning from ear to ear. Light, portable, and durable is the name of the game.
    04-23-11 04:36 PM
    Bought an iPad for my dad yesterday. He wanted one for when he travels to use email/websurfing on a bigger screen and wants to downgrade from his Droid X to a feature phone just for calls/the occasional text message to me and my sister! Lol so I kind of see what you're saying but I don't think the majority of people have that mindset... Yet.

04-23-11 04:48 PM
    Tablets are really cool, but they're not really practical for as many consumers as a smartphone is, IMO. For a business professional who is used to lugging around a laptop/netbook, the tablet is def a step up. They're great for college students looking for less weight on their walks from class to class. I agree with a few of the others in here that they are more likely the death of the laptop/netbook than they are the smartphone.
    04-23-11 05:41 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD