After being told by AT&T that it would work, I purchased a Tilt and asked to be signed up on the International Blackberry plan so that I could use the Blackberry Connect for data worldwide.

I haven't rec'd the Tilt yet, but I did receive my account info, so I called AT&T today to make the change. They informed me that because it is not a Blackberry device, they can't put me on the BlackBerry International plan.

Has anyone used a Blackberry Plan on the AT&T Tilt? I can probably convince them I have an unlocked Blackberry (or just buy a cheap one) and then try using it on the Tilt - does anyone know if that would work? They are telling me that their network would not allow it to work since the Tilt isn't a Blackberry and I would be charged for data use since the Blackberry plan only includes Blackberry data.

I was told last week that it wouldn't be a problem (and even recorded the call!), but now that I have made the purchase, they are saying it won't work.

I really would rather stick with the Tilt, but I need the BB International Plan (unlimited international data and e-mail), so I guess I'll have to return it for a BB unless anyone has experience with this. (All my software is for WM, but maybe now is the time to switch to the Bold.)

Thanks!
    Last edited by deekay; 09-03-08 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Typo
    09-03-08 04:25 PM
    Technically, it would work....but in reality the system does not allow it to be added...therefore will NOT work, because it cannot be provisioned on the account..

And your idea of saying it's an unlocked BB won't work...the IMEI needs to be registered and when it registers it will identify as an AT&T Tilt in the billing system...and and HTC Kaiser in the RIM relay..ontop of that certain plans are not available to unlocked devices, so if your device didn't register and came up as "Unknown GSM Device" the intl plans could not be provisioned as the system would knock it off cause you are not using a known/AT&T device...

However their is 2 options here..one is easy the other..maybe not so easy, depends on how nice your in stre rep may be..

1) Get A BB and not worry about it..

2) Register a BB on your account..put on the BB Intl services, then switch them back and register your tilt on the account, but good luck getting a rep to do that with all that is involved with it.

annnnnnd finally....
    (and even recorded the call!)
    ..sure hope you informed the rep you were doing so, otherwise it's illegal and not court admissable and you can actually be sued for it in certain states.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 09-07-08 at 09:43 AM.
    09-07-08 09:32 AM
    Technically, it would work....but in reality the system does not allow it to be added...therefore will NOT work, because it cannot be provisioned on the account..

annnnnnd finally......sure hope you informed the rep you were doing so, otherwise it's illegal and not court admissable and you can actually be sued for it in certain states.
    I'm picking up a Rogers Bold today, so I'll unlock it, call AT&T and get the plan added. Then I'll try moving the SIM to the Tilt and see what happens. Worse case I eBay the Tilt and go with the Bold. However, I've come across posts from a number of people saying that this worked for them, so hopefully I'll be able to make it work.

I did inform the rep I was recording the call and they had no problem with it.
    09-07-08 11:14 AM
    I had a TyTN II (unbranded tilt) for t-mobile and it worked fine. Sure I had some problems getting it set up. I just told them I was going to use a phone which has blackberry connect and they added it for me. And since it wasn't a real blackberry I had to call back and have them register the pin in their system.

You'll have to get the plan before your pin shows up.
    09-18-08 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD