Okay, so we all should know that AT&T and T-Mobile calling their HSPA+ 3G service "4G" is bogus. But what will the network type area of the new BBs say on the screen? You know, that area that says what type of network you are connected to - GSM, EDGE, or 3G (or the CDMA variants)? Since the HSPA+ 3G spec uses the same UMTS frequencies as regular HSDPA 3G, wouldn't the phone just continue to show "3G"? Wouldn't this just confuse the less savvy AT&T/T-Mobile customer who might wonder why their new "4G" phone never indicates they are on 4G?

I noticed that RIM never says in any of their press releases that any of the new phones are "4G". But they do tout the HSPA+ capabilities.

Just wondering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 10:23 AM
    I saw a video of a torch 9860 with H+ in the corner. So I believe that's probably that they'll show. I tried looking for but I can't seem to find the link for it.

edit: Here is a link of an AT&T branded torch 9860 with an H+ in the corner.
    http://www.intomobile.com/2011/07/26...-att-branding/
    Last edited by redk; 08-03-11 at 10:57 AM. Reason: adding link .
    joeldf likes this.
    08-03-11 10:53 AM
    That makes sense.

But, imagine the calls to AT&T CS about that (because you know that no one reads the manuals...)
    Last edited by joeldf; 08-03-11 at 02:26 PM.
    08-03-11 12:21 PM
    I would love to see someone re-badge the H+ indicator as "FauxG" in a theme.
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    08-03-11 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD