Is there really some exclusivity between Skype and Verizon that blocks my ability to use MY Skype account on MY phone? That really sucks that it's blocked. Now I wonder what will happen when I change my SIM card to my Czech O2 SIM. Will I be able to download it then?
    05-04-11 04:23 PM
    Skype and Verizon signed an exclusive multi-year agreement for the Skype BlackBerry application to be used on Verizon devices on the Verizon network in the US.

Even if you figure out a way to download it to another device, it will not function.

Complain to Skype.

Note that you are not blocked from using YOUR Skype account, but there has been no app released by Skype that would allow it.

Again, complain to Skype.
    05-04-11 05:54 PM
    I don't think so. Skype for BB only works on Verizon. Internationally I use a Nokia (E63) to access Skype. While at home, I use Ipod Touch or Ipad. It's a real shame an annoys be to no end.
    05-04-11 10:57 PM
    Skype and Verizon signed an exclusive multi-year agreement for the Skype BlackBerry application to be used on Verizon devices on the Verizon network in the US.

Even if you figure out a way to download it to another device, it will not function.

Complain to Skype.

Note that you are not blocked from using YOUR Skype account, but there has been no app released by Skype that would allow it.

Again, complain to Skype.
    I have Skype on my Galaxy S phone with AT&T. I upgraded to froyo and could only use Skype over wifi and if I tried to use it while on 3G it would say that "Skype calls within the U.S. can only be made by Wifi."

However just in the past 2 weeks Skype updated it's software so I can now makes calls via 3G network and or wifi were as Verizon has Skype block the ability to make calls via wifi.
    05-05-11 01:21 AM
    You may be able to get the typing part of Skype to work with Nimbuzz.
    05-05-11 03:03 AM
    I have Skype on my Galaxy S phone with AT&T. I upgraded to froyo and could only use Skype over wifi and if I tried to use it while on 3G it would say that "Skype calls within the U.S. can only be made by Wifi."

However just in the past 2 weeks Skype updated it's software so I can now makes calls via 3G network and or wifi were as Verizon has Skype block the ability to make calls via wifi.
    Note that my post says "the Skype BlackBerry application". I didn't say anything about other platforms.
    05-05-11 06:10 AM
    Note that my post says "the Skype BlackBerry application". I didn't say anything about other platforms.
    Ok... not sure how you jump to that conclusion but if you re-read what I wrote you'll see I never said anything about you making a comment about other platforms. I was simply sharing information.
    05-05-11 01:30 PM
    I think Skype only does chat texting and not using the camera anyway for Verizon. I don't know because I haven't tried it.
    05-05-11 02:05 PM
    He's in Europe, I'm not sure if the exclusive applies there, UNLESS Vodafone has a similar agreement.
    05-05-11 03:16 PM
    We should start a Facebook page demanding that!

It is just unfair!
    05-05-11 04:25 PM
    05-05-11 04:26 PM
    Ok... not sure how you jump to that conclusion but if you re-read what I wrote you'll see I never said anything about you making a comment about other platforms. I was simply sharing information.
    Well, this discussion is about what carriers the Skype BlackBerry application will work on. The fact that a Skype application works on the device you listed is immaterial.
    05-05-11 05:21 PM
    He's in Europe, I'm not sure if the exclusive applies there, UNLESS Vodafone has a similar agreement.
    I believe that I remember a discussion to that effect, but I'm not 100% sure.
    05-05-11 05:23 PM
    Skype updated the Andorid app and it allows calls over 3G on Android phones from basically any carrier. Skype to Skype calls, at least...
    05-05-11 07:23 PM
    Well, this discussion is about what carriers the Skype BlackBerry application will work on. The fact that a Skype application works on the device you listed is immaterial.
    Immaterial? That's rich... well Mr. Attorney you can choose to just ignore the comment. Again it was only to share the fact that even Skype had certain features blocked on a different platform. Like I mentioned before I was only sharing information so your comment is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 05-05-11 at 10:53 PM.
    05-05-11 10:34 PM
    But it's not blocked. You can make calls over 3g on Android. It came in the same update that fixed the security issue with contact data.

And I'd ignore the aggressive posters. It's just not worth it to even respond to those posts with that type of tone...
    05-06-11 12:34 AM
    Yes, Verizon and Skype signed an exclusivity deal for the BlackBerry app. It will only work on Verizon.

In reality, it isn't VOIP. The BlackBerry app places a call through Verizon's switch, the routes the call to Skype. The main difference is that (while in the USA) doing this through the Skype app doesn't use any of your minutes.

There hadn't been too many ways to do true VOIP other than via BES/MVS. The fact that the BB Skype app actually uses calls through Verizon's network means it won't work on other carriers, hence the exclusivity deal. Other platforms (android iOS) have the ability to do VOIP over wifi/data, so they don't have that restriction. At the time the deal went through with Verizon, BB hardware didn't have the capability to do the same.

You can use IM+ Talk to do VOIP from any BB on any carrier, but it is half-duplex (works like a walkie talkie where you can only talk while pushing a button, and can't listen while talking).
    05-06-11 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD