08-08-09 11:41 AM
72 123
tools
    While waiting inline at AT&T Friday evening to address some issues I was having with my Bold I over heard an employee tell a former Blackberry user, "Businesses push Blackberry's because they have made a large investment in Blackberry Exchange Server and need to justify it."

Wow, I wonder how much they get for each 3GS they move out the door? Don't bother to mention the actual merits of using a Blackberry over an iPhone in a corporate environment.

Having done both it will be a while before I ever even consider moving back to an iPhone. It just bugs me that reps are so misleading with customers.
    08-03-09 01:28 PM
    Yeah if you go into a VZW store the reps there will say negative things about the iPhone. They only say it because they don't carry. If they carry it in a couple years then they will all change their tunes. The reps are biased just like the people on here because they love their devices too.
    08-03-09 04:00 PM
    COSIGN scorpidsu

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 04:08 PM
    Its sad but its true. A lot of reps will say anything to sell a phone. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of reps who are honest. The problem is there is no way to tell who is being honest.

08-03-09 04:12 PM
    we actually had our IT people test out iPhone verses BB and BB won out hands down. So we pay 100.00 fee to enter the BES and that's it. Hospital pays for it anyways.
    08-03-09 04:17 PM
    Um.. Windows Mobile runs ActiveSync and that's a "business device" no?

iPhone runs a licensed copy of ActiveSync, yet thats not considered a business device?

Fact of the matter is, ActiveSync on the iPhone offers BETTER email syncing, notice how I said syncing, than a Blackberry does. Hands down.

1. you get true subfolder syncing
    2. you get perfect calendar syncing
    3. you get perfect reconciliation
    4. you get email as your mailbox receives it, vs on a BB it's time stamped when your BB received it. Turn your BB in airplane mode, then turn it off after an hour and now you have 20 emails all with the same time stamp.
    5. no $99 dollar CAL's

I can go on and on..

6. no third party BES which cost $4,999 for EACH BES, plus hardware costs.
    7. If RIM's NOC goes down, your business goes down.
    8. Exchange admin updates/patches exchange? boom, BES email syncing goes bye bye until the BES admin patches cdo.dll and mapi32.dll to match the Exchange system.

and on and on,

9. you can lock down the same aspects of the iPhone as a BB remotely.
    10. Uses SSL, each time you use your CC to buy something on a secured website.. guess what.. that's SSL.

shall I go on?

11. Move a mailbox from a storage group and you have to restart the BES Dispatcher service(which affects every single BB regardless if mailbox moved).. Dont have to do this on ActiveSync.
    12. Have to have a third party Communicator Web Access server to access OCS on your BB = more $$ your company has to spend.
    13. Most big companies will buy a TX subscription.. usually = thousands of dollars extra. Tx1 through 5(5 being most expensive)
    14. TRUE HTML EMAIL.
    15. Move your BB from one BES to another running on difference databases, and guess what? You have to WIPE your BB.
    Move your iPhone from different Exchange servers with no negative affects.
    Last edited by sniffs; 08-03-09 at 05:30 PM.
    08-03-09 05:06 PM
    12. Security liability. Need to protect info on an iPhone? Good luck!
    08-03-09 05:26 PM
    Money talks in this world, especially in such economy... just like when you walk into a GM dealership, you think they will turn you around to go to a Toyota dealership because on average import cars are better quality? NOT! Money talks, people need their pay cheque and if Apple/ATT will pay their employees more for moving more iPhones out the door, then they sell more iPhones.
    08-03-09 06:08 PM
    I'm not sure why AT&T reps would be bashing BB like that. They sell a good 3G berry; The Bold and now the Curve 8900 as well. The data plan amounts are roughly around the same and so the customer would be paying around the same each month for the device. It's not like AT&T is bashing a device they don't have.

I don't know. Maybe the rep just really likes iPhones. I'll take my push email on my BB over iPhone syncing any day.
    08-03-09 06:15 PM
    Wow, I wonder how much they get for each 3GS they move out the door?
    About the same as they get for moving a Blackberry + Data Plan out the door.

They get commission on the plans + addons. Since you need an iPhone Data plan to get the phone it usually gets the rep more comission over say, a LG Shine. But how many people do you know that get a Blackberry without data?
    08-03-09 06:40 PM
    I worked in the wireless industry for years, the #1 rule of any good sales rep is to NEVER bash the competition. I saw so much of this though it was ridiculous.
    08-03-09 06:43 PM
    I'm not sure why AT&T reps would be bashing BB like that. They sell a good 3G berry; The Bold and now the Curve 8900 as well. The data plan amounts are roughly around the same and so the customer would be paying around the same each month for the device. It's not like AT&T is bashing a device they don't have.

I don't know. Maybe the rep just really likes iPhones. I'll take my push email on my BB over iPhone syncing any day.
    They're pretty much trained to sell iPhones and make them look good.

AT&T canceled the ability to toggle between EDGE and 3G manually on a Bold
    (unless you upgrade your OS to .282) in my opinion to make the iPhone look
    like the superior 3G device.
    08-03-09 06:49 PM
    And in doing so, if you go from a 3G tower to an EDGE only tower, your call gets dropped.
    08-03-09 06:55 PM
    And in doing so, if you go from a 3G tower to an EDGE only tower, your call gets dropped.
    Not necessarily. The phone does toggle on its own. But if someone is in a bad
    3G area the phone keeps struggling for signal and toggling on its own each
    time causing bad data speeds and shorter battery life.
    08-03-09 07:01 PM
    Well pretty simply I was in AT&T and I got my Bold with a $100 Rebate from AT&T and I went in with my GF to buy one for her and asked where the rebate went and the salesmen said that AT&T got rid of it in an attempt to sell more iPhones...
    08-03-09 07:58 PM
    Don't see why they would need to do this. iPhones sell extremely well without biased reps.
    08-03-09 08:04 PM
    Don't see why they would need to do this. iPhones sell extremely well without biased reps.
    Agreed, every time I was in there someone was picking up one that had just come in for their child.
    08-03-09 08:20 PM
    I feel the same way. Especially since they're very afforadable.
    08-03-09 08:22 PM
    i dont know that they would bash a phone to sell another. everyone has their opinions.

maybe the sales rep cant separate personal opinion from the actual devices while hes at work :-)
    08-03-09 08:45 PM
    Considering BB's give carriers higher profit margins, yeah, pretty stupid.
    08-03-09 08:51 PM
    Well pretty simply I was in AT&T and I got my Bold with a $100 Rebate from AT&T and I went in with my GF to buy one for her and asked where the rebate went and the salesmen said that AT&T got rid of it in an attempt to sell more iPhones...
    That is hilarious

08-03-09 08:53 PM
    Hmm... I just bought a Nokia E71x last week and on the mail-in rebate form they gave me, the Bold was still listed on there for $100...
    08-03-09 09:01 PM
    Hmm... I just bought a Nokia E71x last week and on the mail-in rebate form they gave me, the Bold was still listed on there for $100...
    And...? I doubt they see any reason to update every rebate form just because one device is no longer available for rebate. Seems like excess cost... Go into any AT&T and see if there is still a $100 rebate.
    08-03-09 09:10 PM
    And...? I doubt they see any reason to update every rebate form just because one device is no longer available for rebate. Seems like excess cost... Go into any AT&T and see if there is still a $100 rebate.
    I'd rather not. I got my rebate.
    AT&T's site still says it's available:

08-03-09 09:18 PM
    I'd rather not. I got my rebate.
    AT&T's site still says it's available:

Okay that is fine...The rebate is still available on the website, but the price is up $100 regardless of the rebate. The phone was $200 after rebate it is now $300 after rebate (as you can see in the picture). My point still stands.

PS- I am confused to what you are trying to prove here?
    08-03-09 09:27 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD