Hi everyone!

My family moved from Verizon Wireless to AT&T about 2 months ago. I have to say, I was a bit concerned about the rumors I had herad about their service. However, I have to say I am very impressed with AT&T's service. Maybe 1 dropped call in the 2 months we've been with them.

A friend of mine (we live in SE Pennsylvania) has an iPhone 4 for work and he complains quite often about the cell reception where he lives. He doesn't have any problems with his personal Verizon Droid. When I visit him and the area, I don't have any of the problems with reception on my Torch as he does with his iPhone.

This leads me to believe that it's not enitrely AT&T's service that's to blame. I asked a lot of my friends before switching and recieved mixed reviews. iPhone 4 owners told me that AT&T had horrible service while those not using iPhones told me they've had no problems with their cell service. I, myself, am very pleased with my Torch 9810 and AT&T's network.

Has AT&T's reputation been tarnished by the iPhone 4? Or is their bad service a fact? Does anyone have a really tough time with cell reception on their BlackBerry or any other device besides an iPhone?

10-16-11 02:49 PM
    AT&T's service has routinely been rated the poorest of national U.S. carriers in terms of coverage quality (using samples across all phones, not just the iPhone), and was maligned well before the iPhone 4. You could certainly argue the iPhone 4 didn't help, but you can't really blame it for all of AT&T's coverage problems.
    10-16-11 02:57 PM
  3. T
    I wonder if most of the complaints are related to gsm characteristics (performance within buildings, etc) versus cdma performance ...
    JR A likes this.
    10-16-11 03:08 PM
    I don't live far from your friend in NE Ohio and I had horrendous service with my original iPhone and even my dumbphones. I then went to T-Mobile and have been a happy customer for the last 6 years. In that time I have switched over a few buddies due to their poor service.

plans suck
    poor signal in a lot of areas
    terrible customer service.

Enough for me to switch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 05:17 PM
    We get spotty reception here in South Carolina, but we're kinda in the middle of nowhere. We live in a town with about 40,000 people, but the closest major city to us is an hour away. When we go into the city our 3G works like a dream. But at our house it's pretty spotty, so we use the wi-fi from our home internet. It was the same way with my 9800, so it's not phone-specific for us.

As far as AT&T customer service, they've always been more than helpful for me.
    10-16-11 05:36 PM
    Every mobile company has good service areas and bad service areas. Its a very personal thing as to whether a certain company provides good service in the areas you frequent. My wife has ATT and I have T-Mobile. My parents,, who live 5 miles from my and my wife, have Verizon. There are places we go where I have 5 bars of service and my wife has none, and vice versa. Sometimes I try to call my father, and it goes straight to VM. When we were in NYC, my wife dropped calls all the time. I never did.

More importantly, you need to identify which provider(s) has/have strong enough signal in the places you spend most of your time, and then look at the plans that are offered and decide which is best for you. I can tell you that ATT/Verizon have much more expensive offerings than T-Mo/Sprint and the regionals. I pay $118/month, including tax for unlimited everything including blackberry plus a @home VOIP line, both with discounted international calling on Tmobile. For my wife's iPhone, we pay $102, including tax, for 450 minutes and (grandfathered) unlimited iPhone Data. I get a lot more for my money on T-mobile, but I also can't get the iPhone and find that I lose signal more often than my wife. I were to switch to ATT for my service, I would pay $145 for my usage, and would still not have unlimited data and would lose my @home VOIP line. So, I choose to lose a signal once in a blue moon and save $800/year. All personal economic preference.

One thing is for sure: Mobile service is not one size fits all.
    10-16-11 05:36 PM
    it just depends on the location. Where I live, ATT has been more reliable in coverage areas. Granted, VZW does have better coverage way up north.
    10-16-11 05:38 PM
    There's no comparison. Verizon blows away AT&T as far as relability of calls go. Sprint is lousy too. However I suppose it also depends where you are.
    Last edited by zwoof; 10-16-11 at 05:53 PM.
    10-16-11 05:50 PM
    it just depends on the location.

I switched from Verizon to AT&T several years ago, because Verizon had horrible service in my area and AT&T was much better. Tmobile and Sprint are available but their service in my area is very spotty and completely absent in some areas I frequent.

I have no problems with reception or dropped calls with AT&T in my area.

ETA: AT&T's customer service sucks, but so did Verizon's.
    10-16-11 05:52 PM
    I've never had problems with AT&T after switching to BlackBerry, had a Samsung BlackJack I and II, they both sucked and constantly dropped calls. After getting a Bold 9000 a few years back for my forst BB, haven't had problems since. So I think some of it has to do with the phone you have also. From what I hear iphones are having the same problems on verizon as they did on AT&T, they just use to much data

10-16-11 06:03 PM
    Comparing other phones to the iPhone 4 is a crapshoot. My wife has one and I consistently get a better signal in our house, and other places. She drops calls like crazy at home and I rarely do. I hate AT&T as much as the rest, but sometimes the phone is to blame and not the network.

10-17-11 07:05 AM
    I live in northwestern PA and AT&T and Verizon both provide acceptable coverage. I am on verizon (used to be on AT&T) and never have any problems with calls, surfing the net or email. My wife (who has AT&T) seems to have issues with data once in a while.

Sprint and everyone else offer minimal (if any) coverage.

I find Verizon to be the most stable network up in my parts.
    10-17-11 07:28 AM
    I've been with AT&T/Cingular/Bellsouth Mobility for almost 16 years because they have the best coverage in my market and I have had very few problems; certainly not enough to make me switch. I also get a 25% discount on service through work, and I won't lie, that has a lot to do with it. I have consistently better signal at my pub than most of my friends, and it is a known dead zone for all carriers. As they get better phones, though, it is evening out a bit.

Wireless performance is dependent on 2 things: radio, and location, location, location! BBs have the best radios in the industry, probably behind Nokia. I've had 7 Nokias and 3 BBs, and I have always been able to make calls when others weren't, even with just one bar.

10-17-11 07:39 AM
    Your family never should have made the switch. VZW is the most reliable service in the US. Period.

10-17-11 07:52 AM
    I've been on Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T. Of the three, AT&T has given me the best customer service and I've had less dropped calls with AT&T than the other two. Sprint was the worst here and Verizon wasn't a lot better.

I have 5 lines with 2100 minutes, unlimited data on four lines, wireless insurance, road side assistance, and unlimited texting on all lines and my bill runs about $240-$260 a month. Considering now that mobile to mobile calling is free and you can throw on 10 numbers on landlines not to get charged, I might as well bump my minutes way down as we already have a ton of rollover minutes.

Anytime I've had to have a phone replaced, AT&T has been willing to replace my devices, take money off my bill for the inconvenience(s), and/or do early upgrades with discounts on the upgrade prices.

Changing back to Verizon would save me very little. Certainly not enough to eat the ETFs. Their reception here isn't very good.
    Sprint would save me the most but their reception here is terrible. And I've never had a good experience with customer service.
    T-mobile drops calls like crazy here. Tons of aggrivation for those I know that have T-mobile.

I read a lot of bad reviews on AT&T. I've just never experienced these frustrations. Nor do I know anyone that has had these bad experiences. Well, other than the iPhone...it was the only phone that couldn't get any bars in my apartment complex when my Android or Blackberry phones could.
    10-17-11 11:23 AM
    I've been a long-time defender of at&t, but I've finally come to the conclusion that they suck, for reasons far too numerous and involved to list here. The only reason I stay with them is overlapping contracts. That, plus past experience has proven to me that Verizon Wireless sucks even worse.

10-17-11 11:54 AM