I have a query related to the AT & T no commitment plans.

Are these BBs unlocked?

If I buy a curve 8900 can i use it on other networks or would i still be tied to AT & T?
    06-08-09 12:25 AM
    any phone you buy from at&t either through a plan or straight out isn't going to be unlocked, you have to either pay someone to have it unlocked (bad idea) or call them and have them do it for you. and with it being locked, you can't use it on any other network until you unlock it.
    06-08-09 12:30 AM
    any phone you buy from at&t either through a plan or straight out isn't going to be unlocked, you have to either pay someone to have it unlocked (bad idea) or call them and have them do it for you. and with it being locked, you can't use it on any other network until you unlock it.

+1

there is a few reliable services that people talk about for paying for a unlock code...

but I would also suggest getting it unlocked through the carrier. However this might be one heck of a task on a prepaid..
    06-08-09 05:32 AM
    If by no commitment you mean the Pay as You go plans, it does not appear that AT&T allows you to select a BB for use with these plans.
    06-08-09 08:20 AM
    if it is a gsm phone and you can unlock it then of course you can use most gsm carriers for the pre pay sims but the smartphone/pda/blackberry will be a txt and calls type phone funtion only

However if you take a smartphone, pda, blackberry to a carrier and ask for it to be connected to a non prepay plan they seem to be saying yes..as long as you take out a data plan also.. but they would rather you had bought the phone from them
    06-08-09 08:59 AM
    If by no commitment you mean the Pay as You go plans, it does not appear that AT&T allows you to select a BB for use with these plans.
    you don't have to go through that to buy a phone outright, you can walk right into an at&t store and tell them you wanna buy one full price, and go to wal mart or something and get an el-cheapo gophone package for like 14 bucks. that is IF you wanted to use it on gophone. I used my 8310 with prepaid for about 6 months.
    06-09-09 04:22 AM
    you don't have to go through that to buy a phone outright, you can walk right into an at&t store and tell them you wanna buy one full price, and go to wal mart or something and get an el-cheapo gophone package for like 14 bucks. that is IF you wanted to use it on gophone. I used my 8310 with prepaid for about 6 months.
    It never occurred to me that anyone would want to do that, but OK, thanks for that piece of info.

However, it sounded to me, and I could be wrong here, that the OP was saying they wanted to purchase a go-phone package and then unlock the BB for use with another plan. My point is that I didn't see any BBs as an option for these plans.

Or is the "no commitment plan" something entirely different?
    06-09-09 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD