I have Blackberry e-mail booster with T-Mobile. I only use the phone for calls, texts and emails. I do use non-interactive apps occasionally (but only when connected to wi-fi) and Blackberry Protect which is set to do wi-fi backups only. I never go online using the bb.

Given the above, my data charges should be zero and they were until this month when I've suddenly been charged for data use on 5 seperate occasions. I've done nothing different and there's no way anyone else could have used my bb. There is simply no way that I've used any chargeable data.

T-Mobile were no help whatsoever, I was simply told that their tracking system was infallible and therefore I must have done something unwittingly.

This is fundamentally wrong, I've been charged for something I haven't used.

Can anyone help?

10-20-11 12:42 PM
    Have a data block put on your account, so it won't happen again.

Joe
    10-20-11 12:52 PM
    But that would prevent me using email, and what about wi-fi data?

I think that t-mobile should have an option that prompts you before you are about to use chargeable data.

In practice though I am the data block, I always check that I'm connected to wi-fi before I do anything other than calls, texts and emails.
    10-20-11 01:03 PM
    Emails when roaming use the data plan. I've also noticed that sometimes if I'm in a gprs area, it uses data package for emails. Even if you are sent an email it will show up. On a side note, if you use BIS or BES for emails, tmo recently started charging for that if you have not upgraded your account to include those.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 01:17 PM
    Thanks Scoob. I know about the roaming charge but I haven't been outside the UK, where the account is based, for well over a month. My plan includes BIS so that's not the issue either.

Using a data package for emails when in a gprs area though may explain it. Surely though, any charges for this should be covered by BIS as it's part of my plan?
    10-20-11 01:35 PM
    Do you have unlimited email in your plan? That can also cause unsuspected charges, if you go over on your emails, they will start charging for data used by the emails over your limit. However, I do not know how BIS affects this. BIS may give you unlimited emails, not sure.

I have the unlimited plan on 3 phones, so don't really deal with this. I have buddy who works for T-mo and he briefly tried to explain some of this to me. Also, he doesn't know about the packages and prices in the UK so he said they may do things differently.
    10-20-11 02:00 PM
    Yes, I have unlimited email. It's not so much the UK that's different but T Mobile in the UK is different, that is different from the US but also different from other UK providers.

Basically they offer two add-ons, BlackBerry email bosster and Blackberry internet booster. The email booster (which I have) gives unlimited emails in the UK (wi-fi, gprs and 3G) and the internet booster gives unlimited internet access. Other data (e.g. downloading apps) is free for GPRS and 3G through the internet booster. Data is supposedly free through a wi-fi connection whatever the plan (although email won't work unless you have the email booster). To have true BIS you need both these boosters which together cost double what other UK providers charge for BIS.

If that sounds confusing it's because it is confusing!
    10-20-11 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD