I love my 9900, I honestly do, and when I was located in the Pacific Northwest all was well in my device world. However, due to work related requirements, I've re-located to E. New Mexico where T-Mobile service is limited to 2G coverage.

Unfortunately, due to the types and quantities of files that I'm required to send while out on the road; 2G coverage is entirely unsatisfactory. Therefore, I went into VZW to switch over to a 9930 as VZW just went 4G in my new area. However, I learned something that I didn't know, the 9930 only supports 3G data speeds on VZW's network. I wrongly assumed that it would run off of 4G as my 9900 does.

Here's my conundrum, I actually require 4G coverage if it's available to me. Though I believe the 9900/9930 to be the best tool for me when it comes to communication, I find that I'm now having to consider another device in order to achieve the data speeds that I require.

Dare I say it...I'm actually considering an Android to fill the bill until I can acquire a 4G BB offering that will function in my current area. Oh how I wish BB10 was already released! As much as I dislike the idea, I'll likely have to acquire another device than my trusty 9900. In turn, it means that I'll also have to upgrade at additional cost once BB10 is released.

The sad thing is that even though a 4G Android device will fill a data requirement for me, I believe that I'll still have to carry around my 9900 in order to convey meaningful messages and e-mail. At present, I have a hard time imagining even typing the post that I'm now making on a virtual key board...at least in a timely manner; it's only taken me roughly two minutes or so on my 9900. I'm not pleased about the choice, but work pays the bills.

Sent via BlackBerry 9900
    10-25-12 11:43 PM
    There is a Droid that has a keyboard though in landscape mode. The Droid 4 I think. Not one of the better Android phones. I wonder if it has a removable battery as well. Since if you are sending large files over LTE (or getting) it will be gobbling that battery hard. I'd buy 2 spare batteries if it allows swaps.
    10-25-12 11:46 PM
    You cant last on HSPA for a couple more months? bb10 is fast approaching.
    10-25-12 11:49 PM
    There is a Droid that has a keyboard though in landscape mode. The Droid 4 I think. Not one of the better Android phones. I wonder if it has a removable battery as well. Since if you are sending large files over LTE (or getting) it will be gobbling that battery hard. I'd buy 2 spare batteries if it allows swaps.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll read up on it, but I was actually considering the Droid Razr Maxx HD. You're right about LTE file send gobbling up battery life.
    10-25-12 11:57 PM
    Last on 2G for a few months? Do you know how slow 2G is? Lol
    10-26-12 12:00 AM
    I have the RAZR Maxx. It is pretty nice. Though the photo gallery apps and camera on it are like molasses. Some custom crap by Moto as I have seen plenty of less well spec'ed Droid devices that are smooth. Heck even my Bold is a lot smoother.

But yeah LTE on it is fast. And the app installs are light years faster than BlackBerry. That's about all I truly love about it. Oh and Google Maps and Turn by Turn is flipping great. Ok, that's it. Lol.
    10-26-12 12:00 AM
    What's insane is that vzn offers 4G and tmo still offering 2G.
    10-26-12 12:01 AM
    You cant last on HSPA for a couple more months? bb10 is fast approaching.
    IMHO, I actually think it will be the middle of next year before I'll be able to lay my hands on an N series device, which is what I really want. Regrettably, I need the data speeds now. In my mind, I can justify going with 4G now, then moving to the BB10 key board in mid-2013, but I have a harder time justifying going without 4G now, waiting several months for a touch screen BB10, then changing over to the N series only a couple of months after that. It's a question of choices I guess, which leaves me unpleased with the Android option on the whole. I'm not saying Android is a bad device in any way, it's just not the device that I prefer to carry, but I kind of feel that I now need to...at least in the short term.
    10-26-12 12:09 AM
    What's insane is that vzn offers 4G and tmo still offering 2G.
    Totally, completely, absolutely AGREE!
    10-26-12 12:14 AM
    Why not get a Verizon 4G mifi or whatever. Just use your TMO phone on WiFi.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    jweihrauch likes this.
    10-26-12 12:19 PM
    Why not get a Verizon 4G mifi or whatever. Just use your TMO phone on WiFi.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I didn't even think about that, good ideas on CrackBerry.com. I'll definitley look into it.
    10-26-12 12:48 PM
    I didn't even think about that, good ideas on CrackBerry.com. I'll definitley look into it.
    Not a bad idea. Especially if the main use is file transfer. When not in use, phone calls, SMS and other things are easily done on that type of connection (2g EDGE).
    10-26-12 01:50 PM
    Not a bad idea. Especially if the main use is file transfer. When not in use, phone calls, SMS and other things are easily done on that type of connection (2g EDGE).
    Plus the MiFi is probably more easily re-sold at a better value than a specific used phone is.
    OLY-JIM likes this.
    10-26-12 02:54 PM
    Motorola as well as other android phones have keyboards also.
    10-27-12 10:56 AM