I'll read the rest of the posts when I get home but I just wanted to say how mine works. Before I had the @home service the wifi calls would be charged to my regular minutes plan. Once I got the @home plan all the phone calls are free. (Meaning they don't take away minutes from my plan. There's no turning back for me at this point because 70 percent of the time I'm within range of a wifi network and always connect to them if they're not encrypted. Best phone plan in my opinion

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-07 06:36 PM
    The call does not always automatically switch to the cell towers. I have hotspot at home and have had "call failed" when leaving home and using the phone. I just warn the callers that I will call them back if the call is dropped.

01-28-08 07:30 PM
    OK this is exactly how it works

Currently, as of 1/30/08, there are four UMA phones the Blackberry Curve, the Samson Katalyst, and two other phones.

The plan costs $19.99 per month for one line or $29.99 per month for multiple lines on a family plan. If you are on a family plan and you only want one line with HS@H, then you pay $19.99 per month

If you have a HS@H phone and you do not have the addon, your phone will not make any calls over Wifi, period. It can connect to a wireless network, but you will get error code W006.1 (or .2 or .3) ISP error.

With the HS@H Plan:

All calls made in a Wifi hotspot (either your home, airport, random wireless network, t-mobile hotspot like Starbucks, etc.) all incoming and outgoing is free and never uses any of your minutes. As long as your phone says UMA you are connected and good to go.

If you make a call in a wireless hotspot and you leave the area, your phone call is seemless transferred to teh EDGE network, and still does not use your minutes. Wherever your call originates is how t-mobile decides to bill you.

Also, lets say that you are in a different country in a wireless hotspot with the HS@H package, all calls going to the US are free. So if you are in a hotel in mexico with wireless, you connect your phone to the network and call your friends in the US, the call is free.

Any questions?
    01-30-08 04:04 PM
    You don't need to have the Hotspots@ Home plan to make calls via wifi. If you don't have the plan your calls will not be free. I have the plan and my wife does not. We both can make calls via wifi with our 8320's, just mine are free and her's are not.
    01-30-08 04:14 PM
    I use my 8320 for wifi calling both at work and at home. You can tell from call clarity when it is going of the wifi network but it seems to work pretty well.
    01-30-08 07:29 PM
    You don't need to have the Hotspots@ Home plan to make calls via wifi. If you don't have the plan your calls will not be free. I have the plan and my wife does not. We both can make calls via wifi with our 8320's, just mine are free and her's are not.
    Incorrect.

As i stated in my prevois post, if you conenct to a wireless network w/o HS@H, you will get error code W006.1 (or .2 or .3) under WiFi Diagnostics. Your calls are NOT going over wireless, reguardless if you are connected to a wireless hotspot or not, your calls are still being routed over the EDGE network
    01-30-08 09:57 PM
    Incorrect.

As i stated in my prevois post, if you conenct to a wireless network w/o HS@H, you will get error code W006.1 (or .2 or .3) under WiFi Diagnostics. Your calls are NOT going over wireless, reguardless if you are connected to a wireless hotspot or not, your calls are still being routed over the EDGE network
    This claim is completely false.

I got a Curve a couple of months ago. Immediately after getting the Curve, I could sit down at our pool complex where there is open WiFi access and make UMA calls. I also made UMA calls at my office all day. At that time I did *NOT* have T-Mobile@Home yet I was able and was making UMA calls at will. I called T-Mobile and asked them how this worked. They told me that any UMA phone could and would make UMA/WiFi calls. The OPERATIONAL ability of the phone to make UMA calls is unchanged, it's only a rate plan difference that separates one user from the next.

T-Mobile customers who do NOT have T-Mobile@Home can make UMA calls (assuming they have a UMA enabled phone) and these calls will be charged out of that subscriber's monthly cell-minutes allowance.

T-Mobile customers who have T-Mobile@Home on their billing plan can make unlimited UMA/WiFi calls and these calls will not be charged against their plan minutes.

I have T-Mobile@Home now (got it a couple weeks ago). My Curve made UMA calls before I got T-Mobile@Home and after. The difference is that UMA calls were charged against my rate plan before T-Mobile@Home and they are not today.
    02-01-08 12:29 AM
    This claim is completely false.

I got a Curve a couple of months ago. Immediately after getting the Curve, I could sit down at our pool complex where there is open WiFi access and make UMA calls. I also made UMA calls at my office all day. At that time I did *NOT* have T-Mobile@Home yet I was able and was making UMA calls at will. I called T-Mobile and asked them how this worked. They told me that any UMA phone could and would make UMA/WiFi calls. The OPERATIONAL ability of the phone to make UMA calls is unchanged, it's only a rate plan difference that separates one user from the next.

T-Mobile customers who do NOT have T-Mobile@Home can make UMA calls (assuming they have a UMA enabled phone) and these calls will be charged out of that subscriber's monthly cell-minutes allowance.

T-Mobile customers who have T-Mobile@Home on their billing plan can make unlimited UMA/WiFi calls and these calls will not be charged against their plan minutes.

I have T-Mobile@Home now (got it a couple weeks ago). My Curve made UMA calls before I got T-Mobile@Home and after. The difference is that UMA calls were charged against my rate plan before T-Mobile@Home and they are not today.

That is my understanding, too. If you have a wi-fi capable phone and are near a wi-fi source...any unprotected wi-fi source, whether a hot-spot, or open router...on T-Mobile, anyway, you can make calls over UMA. If you don't have the hotspot service plan, the minutes come off of your monthly total, but you can still make the calls and the service works. If you do have the service, then the calls are not charged.

The question and problem I have is the "seamlessness" of the transition if you start a call from a wifi source, and then go away from that source, I, too, find that the call fails and the transition doesn't work so well.
    02-02-08 03:20 PM
    Also, lets say that you are in a different country in a wireless hotspot with the HS@H package, all calls going to the US are free. So if you are in a hotel in mexico with wireless, you connect your phone to the network and call your friends in the US, the call is free.

Any questions?
    is this because you'd be making the call from a US phone number? on their site it says that international calling is excluded from hotspot@home.

i'd guess they would find your location based on ip address or the mobile network your phone is on at the time whether you're on wifi or not.
    02-06-08 02:22 PM
    The question and problem I have is the "seamlessness" of the transition if you start a call from a wifi source, and then go away from that source, I, too, find that the call fails and the transition doesn't work so well.
    I had this happen a few times. I can't explain it but the more I use UMA, the better it seems to work. I'm probably using UMA 50% of the time now and it seems to be performing far beyond my expectations. I have UMA wired throughout my office. I don't seem to have any problems today starting a call in the office and walking outside without any trouble keeping a call.

They say that the latest OS download available on TMo's website really helps improve the quality of UMA. You may wish to check into that if you haven't already.
    02-06-08 08:08 PM
    I'm on the t-mobile website on my acct and it says...

HotSpot@Home Talk Forever Mobile Add-on

Make and receive unlimited nationwide calls over Wi-Fi both at home or at any U.S. T-Mobile HotSpot location anytime ? day or night.

$9.99
    I am in a family plan so I guess its $9.99 because of that? I wonder if this only price is only for 1 of the 4 phones in my family plan.
    02-19-08 08:49 PM
    If I have a US number with T Mobile and use the hotspot @home feature in another country, can I still call the US for free?
    03-31-08 12:35 AM
    Wallin
    the $9.99 plan is good for upto 5 phones in a family plan
    03-31-08 12:39 AM
    If I have a US number with T Mobile and use the hotspot @home feature in another country, can I still call the US for free?
    i don't think it works that way...they will know what network you're on.

try turning off your mobile network and just having wifi on. when i do this, i am unable to connect to the internet or make phone calls, even though my wifi is set to be on. it just shows the 'OFF' text next to the antenna logo where your signal strength would normally be.
    04-01-08 07:14 AM
    What is the point of Wifi if you don't have HS@H and have signed up for the data/email plan? I'm confused by reading this post what wifi would be used for besides this. Thanks!
    04-18-08 12:39 PM
    RANT: Data Roaming Charges Suck! | CrackBerry.com

This is the reason UMA will rule. The cost of doing international business can be controlled when there is a Wifi Hotspot available.

It also explains the desirability of using an 8320 with the Wifi browser. If Kevin had that option, he would have uploaded the $5 images from his Browser.

Funny thing is, Rogers advertises with teenagers giggling and uploading images for their friends.... then their friends get the $5 download and giggle along too.
    04-19-08 11:46 AM
    I know nothing about wireless neworks....if I purchase a network router is there a monthly fee? Or can I use my exsisting internet service then use the bb wifi from the router?

04-20-08 12:21 AM
    If you purchase your own router ($40-50) and connect it to your own Internet ($20-40/m) you have it covered.

However, it is nearly pointless to do that unless your carrier supports UMA. That will make it truly useful. If you don't have a UMA service, only the Browser will use the Wife network.
    04-20-08 12:47 PM
    If I use an unlocked 8320 on at&t do they have UMA service? I just want the faster internet on the bb.

04-20-08 02:08 PM
    I think you must have still received the special. They told me it was $19.99 for 1 line and $29.99 for multiple (up to 5 on family plan). Found out since I beta tested last year I am getting @home for the best price, free!
    hotspot@home talk forever is now $9.99 even if you have a family plan. I have 2 phones and it's $9.99 for us to both use wifi. They've lowered the price.

Also the routers are free after a $50 mail in rebate.
    05-02-08 08:28 PM
    If I use an unlocked 8320 on at&t do they have UMA service?
    Aside from being a horrible carrier in general, AT&T also does NOT support UMA.
    05-03-08 12:30 AM
    on their site it says that international calling is excluded from hotspot@home ... I'd guess they would find your location based on ip address or the mobile network your phone is on at the time whether you're on wifi or not.
    If you are overseas and access a UMA connection, all of your calls register as U.S. origin calls. You are accessing the INTERNET and using the INTERNET to connect you to T-Mobile's network. They don't trace where the calls originate over the Internet.

In terms of billing, calls to U.S. numbers are handled through your normal rate plan. International calls would be billed separately.

So to recap ...

1.) You are traveling in London and you visit an Internet Cafe in London with open Internet access. You access a UMA connection from that Internet Cafe and call Grandma Smith back home in Chicago. That call will be handled as a domestic call and you will simply either be billed through your normal minute bucket plan (w/o Hotspot@Home) or it will be free if you have Hotspot@Home and not deducted from your normal cell plan.

2.) You are traveling in London and you visit an Internet Cafe in London with open Internet access. You access a UMA connection from that Internet Cafe and then call your hotel across the street in London. That call will be billed as an international call.
    05-03-08 12:41 AM
    Yes you may.
    05-03-08 12:43 AM
    What is the point of Wifi if you don't have HS@H and have signed up for the data/email plan? I'm confused by reading this post what wifi would be used for besides this. Thanks!
    Don't confuse data and wi-fi with UMA.

UMA (or vo wi-fi) is voice calling over the Internet. It's basically like Vonnage for your cell phone. Your calls do not originate by contacting a cell tower, they originate by going over an Internet access point.
    05-03-08 12:50 AM
    Don't confuse data and wi-fi with UMA.

UMA (or vo wi-fi) is voice calling over the Internet. It's basically like Vonnage for your cell phone. Your calls do not originate by contacting a cell tower, they originate by going over an Internet access point.
    UMA Technology : Overview

UMA Overview

Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) technology provides access to GSM and GPRS mobile services over unlicensed spectrum technologies, including Bluetooth and 802.11. By deploying UMA technology, service providers can enable subscribers to roam and handover between cellular networks and public and private unlicensed wireless networks using dual-mode mobile handsets. With UMA, subscribers receive a consistent user experience for their mobile voice and data services as they transition between networks. ...
    When UMA is supported, all of your data service flows through the Wifi connection while you are in range.

VoIP is part of the package, but with the ability to fall over to cellular service.

Marketing the concept is confusing. T-Mobile has the right approch, $10 for UMA support and unlimited access via the internet.
    05-03-08 12:32 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD