I've always wanted to know how come certain companies bring exclusive phones to companies like sprint and tmobile. Like the pre, blackberry pearl flip, and the javelin. T mobile is prob the most out of date company when it comes to 3G and sprint seems to just keep falling under but thats just my opinion lets hear everybody elses
    04-10-09 10:01 PM
    Eh, ppl like me just connect to wifi, don't care about the 3g that much
    04-10-09 10:07 PM
    Yeah that'd be good but do you live in a major city
    04-10-09 10:10 PM
    yes, and I'm a student so I'm surrounded by wifi and the edge aint bad
    04-10-09 10:12 PM
    Well, lol im not exactly sure what 3g is, lol But i do know that i love my wifi connection. esp because i have a tmobile hotspot modem for my PC.
    04-10-09 10:13 PM
    Well, lol im not exactly sure what 3g is, lol But i do know that i love my wifi connection. esp because i have a tmobile hotspot modem for my PC.
    different type of data/phone connection thing, much faster than edge but slower than wifi
    04-10-09 10:17 PM
    different type of data/phone connection thing, much faster than edge but slower than wifi
    oh! ok gotcha!! Thanks for telling me.
    04-10-09 10:20 PM
    I would assume a lot of it has to do with how much each company bids for exclusive rights to each model. RIM probably sets a base price, and at that point Sprint/T-Mobile/VZW/AT&T start a bidding war.
    04-10-09 10:44 PM
    I would assume a lot of it has to do with how much each company bids for exclusive rights to each model. RIM probably sets a base price, and at that point Sprint/T-Mobile/VZW/AT&T start a bidding war.
    really, i thought that if they make a phone with no wifi, vzw takes it, with wifi tmobile takes it, and iono what att has lol
    04-10-09 10:53 PM
    there are many different reasons why certain cellphones go to certain carriers... be it financially, technology support, relationship with the carrier, etc.... but it really comes down to who could sell what...

AT&T was an obvious choice for the Bold,... before the Verzion/Alltel merger... AT&T was the number one service provider in the US,.. they already had an established 3G footprint, still currently have the best international support for both voice and data (850/1900mhz GSM/UMTS/HSDPA)... and the Bold is NOT touchscreen, so it wasn't a direct competition to the already successful iPhone...

the iPhone was orginally supposed to go to Verizon.... but due to some control issues... ended up with AT&T... with the success of the iPhone,.... Verizon then needed there own mass marketed full touchscreen phone to stay competitive, hence the BB Storm...

as far as the Pre.... well,... by now every carrier already had there flagship touchscreen phone (AT&T/iPhone, Verizon/Storm, T-Mobile/G1)... and with the disappointment of the Samsung Instinct... Sprint was the obvious choice.. besides that.. Sprint and Palm have something in common... they are both dying brands.... this is probably there last best chance to turn things around, so they share a mutual desire for the success of this device....

LG has a strong relationship with Verizon... and have had better success in the US with CDMA rather than GSM..

Sony Ericsson stopped making CDMA phones back in around 2003.... so Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel are out of the question..

....and T-Mobile,...... with there outdated technology.... they usually just end up with the left-overs
    Last edited by 2.FiF; 04-11-09 at 01:23 AM.
    04-11-09 01:20 AM
    this really would come down to preference and to how much you actually use a mobile data connection.... a couple of years back i'm sure a lot of people were content with there dial-up connection and saw no need to pay the extra bucks for a broadband connection.... but once you've used broadband there is no going back to dial-up....

other that that... i personally am a very heavy 3G user and thankfully live in Miami where we have an average connection speed 1.2 - 2.2Mbps (tested using dslreports.com/mspeed on my Fuze, BlackJack 2, and iPhone 3G)...i could use 3G while i'm sitting on the beach, in a moving car, at the supermarket... you know,... like all of the places where wifi ISN'T available...

and there are other uses for 3G (UMTS/HSPA)... like the fact that it can simultaneously transmit data and voice.... so let's say you need to check something on-line while having a conversation with someone on the phone... 3G makes that possible...

but like i said.... it's just preference...
    04-11-09 01:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD