Ever since I got my T-Mo 8900 last September I have never really gotten the GPS to work quite right. When I use the maps or apps that use the GPS I never can get a connection, so I assume by default it locates me my cell towers (which always always points my locations incorrectly by a half mile or so). Is there something I am missing in the setup or options. Or is this just a result of crappy GPS capabilities on the 8900's part? If anyone has had this problem and has a soulution or suggestion or just information on it in general please help me out. Thanks my crackberry brethern!
    04-13-10 02:28 PM
    I have Tmo as well and my phone's GPS is far faster than a standard GPS unit. If I'm outside I have 3-meter accuracy in well under 30 seconds.

Try going to the Setup -> Advanced -> GPS and make sure it's turned on... that could be your culprit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-10 04:14 PM
    Thanks, thats good to know, but it is on, and still no location. I am beginning to think back and Im wondering if I signed up for GPS usage at all. I got the unlimited data plan, but something in the back of my head is remembering me saying "no" when I was asked if i needed GPS capabilities. I think Ill call T-Mo and see what they have to say.
    04-14-10 03:02 PM
    Can they disable the feature (aside from hard-coding an 'off' function in the phone)?

I know that the phone will triangulate with the cell towers initially in order to narrow down the area, but the satellites then 'talk' with the oscillator in the phone -- it should have nothing to do with the carrier.

Anyone?
    04-14-10 03:49 PM
    There is a Test mode buit into your BB. Make sure the GPS is enabled. Go to Options > Status. In the Status screen, type test (you will not see it being typed). BB key, Start. Scroll down and select GPS, click on Run. Make sure you are outside so it can locate the satellites.

As far as I know, GPS is built into the device and as long as you have the BB data plan, it should work.
    04-14-10 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD