I can't believe I didn't know that AT&T doesn't insure Blackberrys and PDAs. I actually learned that from this forum. I was going to sign myself up for insurance for my Curve. Fortunately, I was able to unenroll my husband's Palm tonite and get a refund for the 2 years we've been paying for "useless" insurance.
    Last edited by anon(153966); 01-18-08 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Sorry, I changed the title. Better for when people are searching...
    01-17-08 06:21 PM
    Blackjack is the only PDA phone insured through At&t. Such a bummer.....
    01-18-08 10:43 AM
    I also believe most PDA's are covered under your house / rental insurance! But, if you have a high deductible, then that could be pointless...
    01-18-08 10:54 AM
    I wouldn't count on your home/renters insurance. Unless you 'schedule' your device with a specific amount of coverage and make sure your policy included breakage you would have very limited coverage, and it would be subject to your deductible. Also, a lot of home insurane companies shy away from small electronics, I would suggest talking to your agent for specifics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-08 01:35 PM
    Have to have insurance on my favorite electronic device! I'd be more heartbroken without my 8830 then if my car was stolen!

01-18-08 01:38 PM
    Are you kidding, on your home insurance. Your rates would raise about the price of buying a new Berry. Plus the claim is on their for 5, yes FIVE years!!!
    01-18-08 06:30 PM
    Are you kidding, on your home insurance. Your rates would raise about the price of buying a new Berry. Plus the claim is on their for 5, yes FIVE years!!!
    Actually the rates usually aren't that high, at least here in Michigan, about 10 - 20 dollar charge per $100 in coverage, if even that. I'm an insurance agent. And claims usually only follow you for 3 years, and I personally wouldn't be concerned about one small personal property claim. If you filed a homeowners claim on your BB more than that you're probably too irresponsible to own a piece of technology like that in the first place. I would only recommend insuring it on your homeowners, if possible, if it was the only option you had and you were particularly concerned about coverage for the phone, say if you travel a lot or work in a job that poses a high risk for damage, like construction or sky diving
    01-18-08 07:00 PM
    There is a company that does ensure the high end devices (such as our blackberries or treos). As far as i know, they offer it with Verizon indirect agents but im sure it is also offered to other carrier's indirect agents as well.

Coverage is for one year and is $99 and gets you (once approved) brand new phone (or if current model not made anymore, the next model up).

When i purchase my Curve if/when Verizon carries it, im getting coverage.
    01-18-08 07:47 PM
    Just means u have to take really really really good care of your BBC lol I just to mean like a week ago and I was pissed I couldn't but... Still didn't stop me from getting one lol keep it crackin 1

01-18-08 09:05 PM
    I went with Safeware for my insurance. I have three BlackBerry Curves under 1 policy and paid an annual fee of around $86 with a $50 deductible. The basic plan started at $52 for 1 phone, 2 phones where only $58 but then I added a 3rd phone for an additional $28. All in all I did not think it was too bad since the phones price is retailed at around $450 according to Safeware, or at least that is what they are covering..
    01-18-08 09:10 PM
    I had the same issue I eventually found a site offering insurance for Blackberries" with a 1 or 2 year contract. I went with a 1 year contract- just in case I wanted to change berries.. Go to: http://wirelesssafeguard.com/main.php. Also, the insurance is available for AT&T devices- only. Check it out for yourself.

01-18-08 10:18 PM
    Sounds like there are a lot of options out there. I took out a policy with EZ-Protect. They're located at EZ-Protect. I didn't want to take a chance on being SOL if anything happened to Iggy...
    01-19-08 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD