Hello everyone,

Is it possible to turn the Network Data off when the WiFi is on,, and still be able to make/receive voice?

Say I am going abroad and do not want to use the Network Data because it's expensive, but I still want to be able to make/receive calls over the Network and use the WiFi for internet/email. How do I do this? I was on the phone with BB today and a tech. told me it is impossible with AT&T to turn Network Data off while keeping Voice on. I hope this is not the case.

Thanks.
    03-27-10 08:01 PM
    whatever the rep told u is wrong. u can't make wifi call with at&t 9700. 9700 on tmo is the only one that can make wifi call when u are oversea. and it is called uma. sorry u got bamboozled.
    03-27-10 08:52 PM
    whatever the rep told u is wrong. u can't make wifi call with at&t 9700. 9700 on tmo is the only one that can make wifi call when u are oversea. and it is called uma. sorry u got bamboozled.
    Maybe I did not explain myself correctly.

I am not talking about making WiFi calls. I meant - using the network for voice only (regular calls), yet shut down network Data so I can use the WiFi for Data.
    So basically (if I understand correctly) - shutting down 3G/EDGE/Etc, keep only voice through the network and keep WiFi active for Data.
    03-28-10 08:45 AM
    Anyone knows?!
    03-29-10 11:22 AM
    I don't know, but here's how you could try it: goto manage connections > connect to a wifi source > goto mobile network options > turn data services off > see what happens

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 11:47 AM
    SBI - if you shut-off your mobile network connection you will not be able to make/receive phone calls (unless you have some kind of voip client, like skype for example). If you turn wi-fi on you will be able to send/receive data but the phone will not ring. If you have both on the BB does least cost routing, meaning when you have a wi-fi connection on your BB the data portion will go through wi-fi and only voice will use your edge/3G mobile network connection.

hope this helps....
    03-29-10 02:46 PM
    I don't know, but here's how you could try it: goto manage connections > connect to a wifi source > goto mobile network options > turn data services off > see what happens

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This will shut down data, which means - both Network data as well as Wi-Fi, leaves the phone to receive/make calls only.
    03-29-10 04:03 PM
    SBI - if you shut-off your mobile network connection you will not be able to make/receive phone calls (unless you have some kind of voip client, like skype for example). If you turn wi-fi on you will be able to send/receive data but the phone will not ring. If you have both on the BB does least cost routing, meaning when you have a wi-fi connection on your BB the data portion will go through wi-fi and only voice will use your edge/3G mobile network connection.

hope this helps....
    So you are saying that whenever the WiFi is black/white the data will always go through WiFi?! If this is the case, that's a "OK" solution...I just need to remember to turn Data off whenever I am out of WiFi range.

Thanks.
    03-29-10 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD