Note: This thread is about syncing with a calendar without a data plan. This thread is NOT about why I should get a data plan. If you want to talk about how dumb it is to have a BB with no data plan, start your own thread. Thank you.

My situation is a simple one. I have no data plan, no WiFi, and would like to sync the calendar on my phone to one on my computer when I plug my BB in by USB. I do not use a calendar on my computer yet, so I am extremely flexible as to which one to use.

I'd rather not use Yahoo (which is giving me all kinds of problems when I try to sync) or Outlook (because I do not own it and it costs $28,466,253 as far as I'm concerned).

I'm willing to use any third party software and, although I prefer the calendar to be installed on my PC (Windows Vista by the way), I wouldn't mind using an online calendar.

Can anyone help me out with this?

-Steve
    03-25-10 12:55 PM
    For those who are searching for answers to this, here is what my research has come up with so far:

To sync a BlackBerry Calendar, you have 3 options (actually there are hundreds, like to sync with program X, you have to sync with program Z and have Z sync with Y and Y sync with X and you're set, but it all comes down to these three options):

1. Yahoo! Calendar - The issue is that although this is one of only two default options in Desktop Manager (the other being ASCII and not real sync), I have come to find out that Yahoo does not support Blackberry, and if you have issues, they cannot and will not try to help you. You're on your own with this one.
    2. Microsoft Outlook - Coincidentally, none of the free versions of Microsoft Outlook will sync with a BB, and if your computer didn't come bundled with Office, be prepared to shell out $100 or more just to sync your phone's calendar (contacts can easily be sync'd to free programs).
    3. Google Calendar - This would have been my first option, and they even have their own app out called Google Sync. It is said to work like a charm, and from the feature list, this seems like the best possible solution... except that you have to have a data plan. This option will not work through the desktop manager or WiFi.

So there you have it. In my case, I still have no good options since I don't have outlook or want to pay for it, don't have a data plan or want to pay for it, and I DO like my syncs to work more than 10% of the time (like it currently does with yahoo)
    03-25-10 07:25 PM
    So, nothing on this?
    04-10-10 06:42 PM
    You need a data plan.
    04-10-10 07:57 PM
    Well, you don't want to use Yahoo or Outlook and you can't use Google because it requires data so you have pretty much eliminated your options.
    04-10-10 07:58 PM
    You need a data plan.
    That was incredibly helpful! Thank you for your wisdom, understanding and helpfulness
    04-10-10 08:00 PM
    Well, you don't want to use Yahoo or Outlook and you can't use Google because it requires data so you have pretty much eliminated your options.
    You're probably right. I was hoping maybe someone had discovered a way of syncing with any of the free computer-based (as opposed to web based) calendars out there (like windows calendar or mozilla sunbird), or if someone had found a workaround to sync with google. Just hoping for a solution is all.

Ps. I'd love to use outlook... I just can't afford to.
    04-10-10 08:03 PM
    Unfortunately, buying a bb without a data plan is about as useful as buying a car and refusing to pay for gas, oil and tires...it's just part of the owners expense. If you can't afford it, it's not going to work.
    04-10-10 08:04 PM
    Unfortunately, buying a bb without a data plan is about as useful as buying a car and refusing to pay for gas, oil and tires...it's just part of the owners expense. If you can't afford it, it's not going to work.
    I guess I should have stayed with windows mobile then, since anything you can do online, you can do over wifi instead of having a data plan. In fact, there was even a free dialup connection option.

All I'm trying to do is sync my phone to computer over a connection to my computer. I have no need for internet on my phone, and am happy to use it as a phone/organizer (I forget about appointments all the time and need the reminders), and not a computer. I just like syncing appointments and contacts with my computer for convenience.

So please lay off saying I'm an i d i o t for trying to save money. (can you believe they bleep i d i o t?)
    04-10-10 08:11 PM
    ps. Grey, I'm sorry for my original response to your comment. It was sarcastic and was intended as a personal jab. I was out of line.
    04-10-10 08:19 PM
    I was probably a little too sarcastic in my original reply, and it is stupid to bleep the word idi0t. But i never meant to imply that you are one. You're just lacking available funding. I've been there...I'm sure we all have. Unfortunately, there are a number of limitations that persist until you escape it, and owning a bb without a data plan is one of them. The WinMo phone probably is your best bet at this point. Hopefully, you still have it and can get it re-activated.

If you haven't already, you can try a google search for "sync blackberry without a data plan." It returns a bunch of threads, but I'm going to leave it to you to chase them down. Also, try a google search for "reading blackberry backup files." You might be able to find something that will read and possibly store the data from a DM backup.
    04-10-10 08:28 PM
    You can download Microsoft Office 2010 Beta for free. Microsoft Office 2010 Beta - Free Download

It will function until October 2010. That will solve your issues for at least 6 months.
    04-10-10 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD