I am about to move from the Bold 9000 to the Bold 9700. This will be my first switch going from one Blackberry device to another. Moving over contacts and calendars and such will not be a problem obviously, but what about other issues....such as...

Will my PIN transfer to the new device? If so, will I need to do anything to facilitate that?

Will software bought through the CB store work on the new device or will I need to re-purchase (provided that there isn't any software compatibility issue)?

Anything else I should know going in?
    11-16-09 10:14 AM
    Your pin will not transfer. It's unique to a specific device. Most vendors of apps that are licensed to a specific pin will allow you to move your license to a new device (pin) for free.
    11-16-09 10:21 AM
    Thanks for the response. If I plan on selling the phone on Ebay, is there anything I need to do so that those who have my PIN number for BBM will not continue sending messages to my old phone?
    11-16-09 10:54 AM
    You need to contact your carrier to release your pin. It's mapped to your account at the carrier until you do, and the buyer won't be able to register it. To switch your device, go to your carrier's BIS site and use the Switch Device function. That will update your pin for all your BBM contacts.
    11-16-09 11:38 AM
    I am about to move from the Bold 9000 to the Bold 9700. This will be my first switch going from one Blackberry device to another. Moving over contacts and calendars and such will not be a problem obviously, but what about other issues....such as...

Will my PIN transfer to the new device? If so, will I need to do anything to facilitate that?

Will software bought through the CB store work on the new device or will I need to re-purchase (provided that there isn't any software compatibility issue)?

Anything else I should know going in?
    This is what you do:

Before you put your sim card in your 9700 you're going to use the device
    switch wizard to transfer all your info to your new phone. That will include
    your BBM contacts. Once you're done with that put the sim card in the new
    phone.

Note: You do all that BEFORE you put the sim card in the new phone.

If you put the sim in the new phone and then use the device switch wizard
    then the new pin will not push.

After that has happened login to your BIS account and switch the device PIN
    and IMEI. After that happens you won't have to re-add everyone to BBM.
    Your new PIN will push to your contacts and update on its own. Once the
    PIN on BIS is switched on your BIS then the old PIN on your 9000 is essentially
    already released. All you have left to do is wipe your phone.
    Last edited by forever29; 11-16-09 at 11:59 AM.
    11-16-09 11:57 AM
    Perfect......thanks for the info both of you. Genuinely appreciated.
    11-16-09 12:32 PM
    No problem. Let us know if you run into any trouble.
    11-16-09 12:56 PM
    Back up your 9000 using DM (Desktop Manager). Plug in your 9700 and restore the file from the 9000. All your contacts, messages, bbm contacts, etc will rollover. With sim card in the 9700 go to options-Advanced Options-Host routing table-Hit the blackberry menu key-register.
    This will update your pin with the BIS systems. You're good to go.
    11-16-09 01:54 PM
    You need to contact your carrier to release your pin. It's mapped to your account at the carrier until you do, and the buyer won't be able to register it. To switch your device, go to your carrier's BIS site and use the Switch Device function. That will update your pin for all your BBM contacts.
    Ok. I'm not sure what just happened. I just called AT&T to get them to release the PIN from my account and after trying to explain it to the lady 3 times what I was talking about ("You mean PIN as in the password for the phone?") she placed me on hold multiple times and told me that the old phone is no longer associated from my account. I went in through the BIS site earlier to move all over that over to the new PIN & IMEI, but that wouldn't release the old PIN from my account would it?

As a bonus, when she came back from the final time she put me on hold she had an unlock code ready to go for me.
    11-17-09 08:17 PM
    ... login to your BIS account and switch the device PIN and IMEI. After that happens you won't have to re-add everyone to BBM. Your new PIN will push to your contacts and update on its own. Once the PIN on BIS is switched on your BIS then the old PIN on your 9000 is essentially already released...
    ... I went in through the BIS site earlier to move all over that over to the new PIN & IMEI, but that wouldn't release the old PIN from my account would it?...
    I understand forever29's post to be saying that yes, that is how you release the PIN from your account. Your experience with the AT&T rep appears to confirm that's what has happened.
    11-17-09 11:01 PM
    another somewhat related question (didnt want to make a whole new thread)...

Do I have to release the pin from my old blackberry(8520) before I put my sim card into my new blackberry(9700)?

I didnt set up any email accounts on the 8520; just have a few bbm contacts, (if I lose these contacts, its not a big deal).

Im on Rogers. Thanks!
    02-07-10 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD