Have you ever convinced a new carrier to pay for you early termination fee of your old carrier? I'm currently on ATT and 5 months into my 2 year plan and may want switch to Sprint. Sure, Sprint doesn't have the same coverage as the ATT or Verizon, but according to Sprint's coverage map, it should work fine where I am.

If I do the math, my early termination fee will $275, but I will essentially be giving Sprint $1000 - $1200 annually. So for a 2 year contract, this will be $2000 - $2400. So, let's say I'm in the mid-range of $2,200 for 2 years + $200 for a 9930 so the total is $2400. If they pay my $275 early termination fee with ATT and another $250 for subsidizing the 9930, then Sprint nets $1,875 from me. Do you think Sprint will go for this if I explain my case to them?

Just by comparing their plans, I'll be saving $5 - $7 a month. So in two years, that equates to $120 - $168. This doesn't seem like a lot but savings is savings.
    Last edited by cbfan123; 08-27-11 at 10:20 AM.
    08-27-11 10:17 AM
    Sprint does not pay ETFs.

Posted from my Inspire 4G at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 11:34 AM
    Carriers will not pay a single users ETF, IF you are a Major corporate customer, and they want to buy your business they may Credit your account the value of the ETF, but even then usually they give free hardware and better billing terms to attract customers.

you want them to front you more than 10% of their annual revenue. Do banks give you money without charging you interest?

You are asking Sprint to give you money for nothing, you are not paying extra, and you are not a BIG customer. with a bill less than $500/month you are not highly profitable for them
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-27-11 12:25 PM
    There may be some smaller carriers that may pay your etf.

For example, the regional carrier Viero (not sure that's spelled right) that operates in Colorado and Nebraska advertises on their website that they will pay your etf in the form of a credit on your new account with them.

There may be others that will do the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 03:42 PM
    TELUS won't pay mine if I switch to wind early.

08-27-11 04:04 PM
    Sprint offered me $125 per line to switch

08-27-11 04:15 PM
    Bell waived my ETF to join them after i canceled my contract with a smaller brand named SOLO mobile. However this could be in part to the fact that Bell does own Solo.
    08-27-11 04:29 PM
    You're not factoring in the costs of maintaining the network and improvements and all that jazz; a 10% INCOME reduction will certainly represent a much higher cut out of profits.
    That being said, no harm in asking. If you get the right rep they might give you a credit. They gave me a $75 credit for staying once when I renewed my contract 2 months after it had expired and told them I was considering switching to Verizon.
    08-27-11 04:35 PM
    To the cbfan. I am on sprint and their map looks pretty widespread. Don't look at it on a national level. Zoom in on your state and there will most likely be a huge difference especially in 3G. If you want to see sprints national 3G without all the fluff they put on the map go to virgin mobiles website and look at their 3G on their coverage map.

I am not bashing sprint but letting you know about a sneaky thing they are doing to attract customers with their "national coverage" some areas when zoomed completely out on a national level look like they're blanked with 3G but just zoom in 1 click and see if there is a difference, see if it is now considered roaming data. If It is then your data will be super slow.

Before you make the jump or try look at what I'm saying. Pm me if you have any questions.
    08-27-11 10:16 PM
    To the cbfan. I am on sprint and their map looks pretty widespread. Don't look at it on a national level. Zoom in on your state and there will most likely be a huge difference especially in 3G. If you want to see sprints national 3G without all the fluff they put on the map go to virgin mobiles website and look at their 3G on their coverage map.

I am not bashing sprint but letting you know about a sneaky thing they are doing to attract customers with their "national coverage" some areas when zoomed completely out on a national level look like they're blanked with 3G but just zoom in 1 click and see if there is a difference, see if it is now considered roaming data. If It is then your data will be super slow.

Before you make the jump or try look at what I'm saying. Pm me if you have any questions.
    Thank you all for your feedback.

eve6er69,I will check sprint's map again with a more zoomed in perspective. If it's still good where I am, I will ask the sales rep at the Sprint store if they are willing to cover the ETF. It's worth a shot; the worst they can say is no. No harm, no foul.

The 9930 has a fantastic keyboard.
    08-28-11 07:47 PM
    I got talking to a Rogers rep a couple years ago and Ive always been on Telus, anyway the rogers rep said they'd pay off my Telus ETF if I switched. Rogers gets REALLY spotty coverage where I live so I told him I wouldn't do it. Then I called Telus retention and told them I was going to switch to Rogers as they were going to pay my ETF so Telus decided to lower the monthly rate of my plan plus give me free features. I had a pretty rockin plan at the time but Ive made several changes to my plan over the years so its not the same anymore, but its still cheap and I still have my free features, but at $50 a month now its not as cheap as it was.
    08-28-11 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD