Hey Guys,

I just enabled Wifi on my Storm2. When i am home, I can access my home Wifi. Now, when I am away from home, will the OS just automatically switch back to 3G to gain access to the Internet? Or do I need to do something or set something?

Thanks!!!
    06-19-10 11:33 PM
    Hey Guys,

I just enabled Wifi on my Storm2. When i am home, I can access my home Wifi. Now, when I am away from home, will the OS just automatically switch back to 3G to gain access to the Internet? Or do I need to do something or set something?

Thanks!!!
    Yes that is correct. Nothing you need to do
    06-19-10 11:34 PM
    Bear in mind though. It will use more battery. You have to decide on convienience over battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 01:13 AM
    Yes. Leaving WiFi on when you're not around a router will have a significant impact on battery life, because the WiFi radio will be constantly searching for a signal. Similar to the cell radio when you're in an area with a weak signal.

Look in the app store: there are a couple apps that will automatically turn your WiFi on or off depending on your location. I think a couple of them are free.

06-20-10 07:37 AM
    Mine is on 24/7 whether I am near a router or not. The change in battery life is not that much from my own experience. I am wary of these third party apps that track locations.

To the OP, try to use WIFI turned on a day or two with your usual usage and see how much changes you have with your battery life. If it is significant, turn it off when you don't need it or use the third party app as previously suggested (Not for me though).
    06-20-10 07:55 AM
    Mine is on 24/7 whether I am near a router or not. The change in battery life is not that much from my own experience. I am wary of these third party apps that track locations.

To the OP, try to use WIFI turned on a day or two with your usual usage and see how much changes you have with your battery life. If it is significant, turn it off when you don't need it or use the third party app as previously suggested (Not for me though).

+1 10 char
    06-20-10 07:59 AM

Since I got my Bold I have yet to turn off the WiFi, I have 2 locations set up, home and work, and everywhere else it isnt configured to. I have not noticed one bit of worse battery life then when I was on a Tour and didn't have WiFi.
    06-20-10 08:01 AM
    I also noticed no change in battery life when leaving wifi on all the time.

06-20-10 10:37 AM
    I'm new to wifi as well. I have wfi at home but not anywhere else that I go. I read about app smartwifi that is supposed to turn on wifi when needed but turn it off when it's not available to help prevent battery drain due to searching (at least that's my understanding of app). It seems to be working, my battery drain is on par with my old tour with this app installed.

06-28-10 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD