I used to have a BB. Then I switched to Palm. Now I need to dump my data plan. having a baby- need to save $.
    I was going to just get a regular old cell but was thinking...
    Could I get a BB (looking at the flip pearl) and NOT get a data plan but still plug it in and hard sync the calendar?
    I dont need email or internet but access to my calendar would be a huge plus compared to a regular cell.

BUT this is all dependent on the need for a data plan or not.

--I am on Verizon
    03-16-11 09:02 AM
    I'm not 100% certain, but I don't believe you even purchase a BB without having a BB data plan. This may vary from carrier to carrier.
    03-16-11 09:04 AM
    Without a data plan all a bb is, is a PIM. Most carriers require a data plan or will add one on for you once they see you are using one.
    03-16-11 09:07 AM
    thanks guys! I appreciate it!
    03-16-11 09:27 AM
    You can't do this on Verizon, ATT, or Sprint, BUT TMobile still lets you do it. Also some of the smaller ones might let you do it.
    03-16-11 11:39 AM
    Verizon tried to force me to have a data plan once with my palm centro.

I told them that forcing me to have a data plan when purchasing a phone is against the law. She took the data plan off.
    03-16-11 11:45 AM
    Each provider has certain requirements, which are not against the law. They are part of the lengthy contract that you sign to access service. Once you sign that contract, you are bound to it, until your contract is up, or you pay the early termination fee.

As mentioned above, Verizon, AT&T or Sprint all require it. No way around it. Especially not on Sprint or Verizon, because as soon as the ESN is activated, it is recognized, and the plan is simply added for you. On AT&T, you may be able to get away with it for a short time, but ESN sweeps will eventually catch you, and the data plan will be added for you.

To the OP, if you want a BlackBerry, be prepared to incur the data plan that is almost certainly required by most providers. There may be small providers such as MetroPCS, Page Plus, or Cricket, that don't require it, and of course there is always T-Mobile.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-16-11 03:00 PM
    Get a wifi enabled BB, such as a 9700 on TMobile or the newer 9780 if you can swing it, but I would hit CL up to see if you can find a good used cheap 9700.

You can use wifi at home as long as you have a router to browse the net and might be able to do the Calendar thing.

As soon as you leave the router area it will revert to the TMobile towers and you wont be able to use those things. (Internet and any apps you could use on wifi, basically dumbphone capabilities.) Also to note a lot of stuff won't work as far as apps off wifi. Some do, a lot don't. Just to inform you.

So you should be able to use that phone on your plan and not be charged a data plan. I know others who have done this perfectly fine, but seems TMobile is one of the few that still let you do this...

It could change any time though. Always changing things around. Sucks, but how it unfortunately is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BoldtotheMax; 03-16-11 at 04:17 PM.
    03-16-11 04:14 PM
    get a data plan... prices have dropped

no point of a smart phone with no data plan.... IMO
    03-16-11 05:48 PM
    Each provider has certain requirements, which are not against the law. They are part of the lengthy contract that you sign to access service. Once you sign that contract, you are bound to it, until your contract is up, or you pay the early termination fee.

As mentioned above, Verizon, AT&T or Sprint all require it. No way around it. Especially not on Sprint or Verizon, because as soon as the ESN is activated, it is recognized, and the plan is simply added for you. On AT&T, you may be able to get away with it for a short time, but ESN sweeps will eventually catch you, and the data plan will be added for you.

To the OP, if you want a BlackBerry, be prepared to incur the data plan that is almost certainly required by most providers. There may be small providers such as MetroPCS, Page Plus, or Cricket, that don't require it, and of course there is always T-Mobile.

Oh I know, but I went 2 years without it. They can take it off, you just have to find the right rep and/or threaten the rep like I did .

I was with Verizon btw.
    03-16-11 05:55 PM
    get a data plan... prices have dropped

no point of a smart phone with no data plan.... IMO
    I hate when people reply with this nonsense....

A lot of people don't want to be wrapped up into a 20-30 a month data plan, especially if you have multiple phones on a plan...if I had them on all 5 lines I would be paying 150 smacks a month...

No thanks!

Also waits for, well don't get a smartphone! .....

03-16-11 06:07 PM
    Oh I know, but I went 2 years without it. They can take it off, you just have to find the right rep and/or threaten the rep like I did .

I was with Verizon btw.
    I will say that threatening a rep will get you absolutely nowhere. I highly recommend not doing this. Asking, yes, but not threatening. If you threaten to leave, be prepared to actually do so, or you end up looking like a complete *****.

The Palm Centro does not require a data plan on Verizon, just to let you know.
    03-16-11 06:24 PM
    on verizon i know for a fact you have to have the data plan to purchase a bb. sorry
    03-16-11 09:06 PM
    I will say that threatening a rep will get you absolutely nowhere. I highly recommend not doing this. Asking, yes, but not threatening. If you threaten to leave, be prepared to actually do so, or you end up looking like a complete *****.

The Palm Centro does not require a data plan on Verizon, just to let you know.
    If the Palm will fix you calendar need it sound like you have your answer from Heavy Fluid. If not (and you can afford the switch) I would look into a switch to tmobile like Bold to the max was saying. It doesn't cost tmobile anything if you use your Blackberry (with very limited functionality) on wi-fi, and they don't charge you for something they don't have to provide.

Right now they have plans starting at $39.95, and if you do want BIS on your phone they have a 200mb plan on special this month for only $10.00. I use the heck out of email, BBM, and surf the web some, and never go over 10mb a month.

Congratulations on the new baby, we have all been there and when you think about it there are only a few things in life that really matter, and cellphones aint one of them.
    03-16-11 09:12 PM
    What about Virgin Mobile? It was bought by Sprint and gets good signal really and is unlimited for like thirty a month.

03-17-11 02:00 AM
    You need a data plan with a blackberry.
    03-23-11 10:25 AM
    You need a data plan with a blackberry.
    Working on getting your post count up today huh?
    03-23-11 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD