.........here is my conclusion so far. Inconclusive!!!!!!

I love so much about the Tour, but I love so much about the DX. So here goes:

The Tour: I used to think was a fairly large phone, now seems so compact! In fact, I miss the size and the ergonomics of it. So form fitting to your hand. I miss the ease of use. Meaning, you can simply hold it in one hand and push a button or two and be where ever you want. You can hold your thumb or fingers on the keyboard with out the fear of opening and launching 3 or 4 web page screens, which you will have to go back and close out of before you can go any further. Everything can be done easily with one hand. Point and click your camera and you are done. Want to speed dial someone???? Just push one of the buttons. You don't have to open several screens to get there. It's a more mechanical device, more simple. Texting and sending a fast email....nothing can or will ever beat it!

It is like a small 2 seat sports car from the 1970's, sleek, but you feel every bump on the road, you are in control of it, not it in control of you. Those bumps you feel are:
    the slow browser taking forever to open a page. And when you do it's so hard to see, so you zoom......but then you now need to scroll left and right to read. Ugh, gets old. It lags, it needs rebooted, it frustrates you.....but you still love it.

Now for my DX:

My DX is a big machine for sure. And in my pocket...well, it feels like the remote control from my tv! But you need something from the web...........oh baby, it's faster than my laptop! Rocket fast. And the massive real estate of the 4.3 inch screen is so easy on the eyes. Vibrant colors, smooth scrolling, pinch and zoom is wonderful. You can not find a better browsing experience on a phone. Google maps and free Navigation is great for me being in sales with a large territory and many different cities. It has been a Godsend for me in finding offices and in saving me time. I am purely business use guy and being able to look up medical information on the web all day is a breath of fresh air. Driving in the car all day and taking a quick glance at that easy to read screen is so satisfying!

It is fantastic to have 5 screens of your favorite icons ready for just a quick touch and your are right there on that website in a matter of seconds.

Frustrations are: it takes 2 hands to operate a whopper. One hand to hold it and the other to tap. And tap tap tap you will! Everything except web browsing takes several taps to get to. Want to make a call? Well, open the phone----swipe it, then go to the phone icon, then go to the favorites or contacts list, then tap on the person you want, then it opens their contact and you have to tap again to chose either call or text them. The phone calling is the most frustrating thing with a touchscreen for me. It seems everything takes several more steps to do on a touch screen vs a BB phone.

The other sometimes frustration....is......the screen is always active unlike a BB where nothing happens until you push a key or button. When texting, you can't keep your finger on a letter while thinking what to say or you will now have a whole row of that letter to delete!

The DX is like a big roomy Bently crusing down the highway at 90 miles an hour, quiet smooth ride. But for those hairpin curves...you want to be back in that sports car.

Both are really great at what they do. What I really wish is that Apple had added 3G to their new Itouch. Then I would just get a cheap Curve 3G and use the iTouch for my web stuff.

Last edited by theguitarplayer; 09-18-10 at 01:07 AM.
    09-18-10 01:04 AM
    My T-Mo contract ran out in January so I thought I'd give the Nexus One a try. Nice but I couldn't take the virtual keyboard anymore, I desperately wanted a physical keyboard. Sold it on eBay and got a Droid 2 with Verizon (no T-Mo reception in my work building - I had to go outside of the building to make/take calls/text). Now I just want to go back to Blackberry.

Droid 2 is fine and has a lot of razzamatazz but it's just not me. What am I going to do with five screens? I thought I would like it but I don't. I've learned that I don't care about touch screens. And that though it does have a physical keyboard, it only has one shift key. Feels awkward holding the shift key on the left side and pressing the 'A'. Do not like. I've also discovered that I don't care for the sliding keyboard. I'm spoiled. Sliding the keyboard open, waiting for the screen to orient itself and positioning your hands will not do. For the BB I can just touch a key and voila! I'm set to go, and with just using one hand. I miss that. Now I know that I only care about the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, Navigation, and simple apps like Facebook and Twitter.

So I have one more week out of my 30-day exchange policy with the Droid 2. But I think I'm going to get BB 9650 tomorrow and keep it simple.
    09-18-10 02:36 AM
    Nice posts so far. Really good and informative read!

Well to be honest, the Droid X's screen is gorgeous. It makes perfect sense to me, or whoever, who does bucket loads of reading. That was the reason why I switched from a Curve to Storm 2. Battery life takes a hit but it's perfectly reasonable, and as long as I get 20 hours charge out of it with heavy use it's more than enough.

I agree with theguitarplayer about qwerty BBs being more "mechanical". It's just blazing fast for whatever you want to do (minus the browser). Granted, there's nothing fun for you to do on it compared to the competition.

With my S2, I get a larger screen. However, things get a little slower because of the absence of physical keyboard. I guess it's about striking a balance - and for me the large screen for reading is more important than the seconds saved navigating my phone.
    09-18-10 02:47 AM
    Nice responses so far and totally agree, but for me I get around fine on my browser...Opera5 mini loads as fast as my Andriods did, granted most are mobile, still I am on a phone and can deal with that. I am in the minority here though with the browser on the berry's...that I know, must have built of my patience somewhere, lol!

Only thing I miss with TS's is the real estate factor as my 9700 screen is small, but it does so much more for my lifestyle from the keyboard, using one hand if I want too....and works best IMO as an actual phone, call quality is great and battery life is 2nd to none, granted TS phones will of course pail in comparison...most do anyway.

With that said as much as I love my 9700 and to date is the best phone I have ever used, I will test drive some new devices come upgrade time and weigh my options...I love the idea of the Torch, but seems to have a lot of bugs, so hopefully with in the next year they have a T2 come out and I can snag that up, but Andriod isn't an after thought, will check them out as well, but really need it to be UMA compatible as I have become spoiled with my phone actually working at my house, lol! Wish Andriod would work something out with TMobile in that aspect, because if not that can be a deal breaker...no sense in getting a nice expensive phone if it only works well getting signal, which is fine when I am not at home, lol!

Again, good honest review OP!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 08:01 AM
    Frustrations are: it takes 2 hands to operate a whopper. One hand to hold it and the other to tap. And tap tap tap you will! Everything except web browsing takes several taps to get to. Want to make a call? Well, open the phone----swipe it, then go to the phone icon, then go to the favorites or contacts list, then tap on the person you want, then it opens their contact and you have to tap again to chose either call or text them. The phone calling is the most frustrating thing with a touchscreen for me. It seems everything takes several more steps to do on a touch screen vs a BB phone.

The other sometimes frustration....is......the screen is always active unlike a BB where nothing happens until you push a key or button. When texting, you can't keep your finger on a letter while thinking what to say or you will now have a whole row of that letter to delete!

The DX is like a big roomy Bently crusing down the highway at 90 miles an hour, quiet smooth ride. But for those hairpin curves...you want to be back in that sports car.

Both are really great at what they do. What I really wish is that Apple had added 3G to their new Itouch. Then I would just get a cheap Curve 3G and use the iTouch for my web stuff.
    If you want quick access to a contact on the Droid X, you can have a shortcut to any contact you want on your homescreen. One click calling. Also, the DX can be hard to use if you do not have big hands. I have no problem using the device with one hand. I can type one handed (Swype) and navigate very easily.

I don't know what you're talking about with the keyboard. For me, holding down a letter on the keyboard does not do what you say. Quite the opposite actually. Holding down a letter does not actually display the letter in the message field until you release the letter.

Also, Apple already does have a 3G iPod Touch, it's called the iPhone, and if you want an even bigger one, the iPad.
    09-18-10 09:26 AM
    A good post for somebody (me) who likes things about my Storm, hates the speed, browser and memory issues and has eyes on all the app development happening with Android phones.
    09-18-10 10:03 AM
    So I have one more week out of my 30-day exchange policy with the Droid 2. But I think I'm going to get BB 9650 tomorrow and keep it simple.
    I am very happy with my work issued 9650, I didn't want them to take away my 8830WE and was very unhappy with the feel of the 8530 and 9630 they gave me to replace it. Then I got promoted to Division chief and ended up with a brand new 9650. I LOVE it!!!! It actually feels as solid as my 9700 and my Torch, both of which are perfect.
    It's a great phone.
    I'm not into Android at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 11:36 AM
    .........here is my conclusion so far. Inconclusive!!!!!!

I love so much about the Tour, but I love so much about the DX. So here goes:

The Tour: I used to think was a fairly large phone, now seems so compact! In fact, I miss the size and the ergonomics of it. So form fitting to your hand. I miss the ease of use. Meaning, you can simply hold it in one hand and push a button or two and be where ever you want. You can hold your thumb or fingers on the keyboard with out the fear of opening and launching 3 or 4 web page screens, which you will have to go back and close out of before you can go any further. Everything can be done easily with one hand. Point and click your camera and you are done. Want to speed dial someone???? Just push one of the buttons. You don't have to open several screens to get there. It's a more mechanical device, more simple. Texting and sending a fast email....nothing can or will ever beat it!

It is like a small 2 seat sports car from the 1970's, sleek, but you feel every bump on the road, you are in control of it, not it in control of you. Those bumps you feel are:
    the slow browser taking forever to open a page. And when you do it's so hard to see, so you zoom......but then you now need to scroll left and right to read. Ugh, gets old. It lags, it needs rebooted, it frustrates you.....but you still love it.

Now for my DX:

My DX is a big machine for sure. And in my pocket...well, it feels like the remote control from my tv! But you need something from the web...........oh baby, it's faster than my laptop! Rocket fast. And the massive real estate of the 4.3 inch screen is so easy on the eyes. Vibrant colors, smooth scrolling, pinch and zoom is wonderful. You can not find a better browsing experience on a phone. Google maps and free Navigation is great for me being in sales with a large territory and many different cities. It has been a Godsend for me in finding offices and in saving me time. I am purely business use guy and being able to look up medical information on the web all day is a breath of fresh air. Driving in the car all day and taking a quick glance at that easy to read screen is so satisfying!

It is fantastic to have 5 screens of your favorite icons ready for just a quick touch and your are right there on that website in a matter of seconds.

Nice to hear an honest opinian of someone that have tried both! A few of these Droid X users make it sound like Droid X are so great they would print money haha! Sounds to me like if RIM got their act together and made a phone like the bold with internet speeds of a droid you would be happy! I know what you mean about the speed dial! You can have up to 26 speed dials with out having to switch screens or anything. Very nice!
    09-18-10 01:31 PM
    Egads that thing is huge!
    09-18-10 02:46 PM
    Little update for you. I now have had the DroidX for a month and a half. I have my Tour right here in my desk and holding it...it feels so nice. I do miss the smaller size and the fact that it's not active unless I push a button.

An hour ago I was listening to a voice mail from my manager giving me specific directions on a project. Had it on speaker phone. The speaker is in the back, so as I was turning the phone around to hear better.....................ahhhhhhhh I must have touched the screen because the voice came on saying..."message deleted." That's the kind of stuff that makes me want to throw it in a lake.

However, the internet, the speed, the beautiful screen, are in a class of their own. The battery life on the DX is rated the best of all touch screens, it is nearly identical to my Tour. If the Tour or the 9650 had a better internet I would be right back.
    10-12-10 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD