Guys/Gals,

Which method is better when it comes to porting everything over from one BB to the next...Switch Device Wizard or Back-up and Restore?

I've used Switch Device Wizard before and as I recall, it worked fine, though it was quite a while ago.

I've had my Bold 9700 for just under a year now and am contemplating the 9780. Just thinking ahead as far as how I'd move my info over.

I do have about 3-4 apps on my 9700. Do these transfer over too? (Google Maps, BeWeather, Pandora, and some shortcuts to E!, Fox News, etc).

TIA
    11-14-10 06:49 PM
    Switch device.

It will make exact copy of all info. Also PIN updates on BBM. and App's will be transferred over.
    11-14-10 07:18 PM
    Thanks John! That was easy! I couldn't recall if apps would transfer so that's great!

Oh, another question. I hardly use Desktop Manager now, but I know I have version 5.0.1. Would I need to first download the newest version?
    11-14-10 07:21 PM
    Load up 6.0 DM.

And you should be fine.
    11-14-10 07:25 PM
    Great, thanks again!
    11-14-10 07:27 PM
    yea device switch will bring over apps.

also note, if you ever need to switch devices on the go and dont have time to use DSW, just back up your BBM list via email (remotely), then once you put your SIM card in your next device you can restore it remotely once your email has been moved over to your new device. no need to DSW each time you swap devices. the BBM remote restore will automatically send PIN updates to all your contacts.
    11-14-10 07:44 PM
    yea device switch will bring over apps.

also note, if you ever need to switch devices on the go and dont have time to use DSW, just back up your BBM list via email (remotely), then once you put your SIM card in your next device you can restore it remotely once your email has been moved over to your new device. no need to DSW each time you swap devices. the BBM remote restore will automatically send PIN updates to all your contacts.
    Hmm interesting!!! Question is that with the latest version of BBM? I ask only cause in the past I always ran into problem if I tried to do it this way.
    11-14-10 07:57 PM
    well i have the latest, .41, and i just did this the other day. i did DSW to go from my Torch back to my 9700 the other day to test out OS 6 on it. every switched over perfectly. but the next morning, i wanted to go back to my 9800. i didnt have access to DSW so i popped in my SIM and everything was working again. i just went into BBM (it was empty), and selected restore from remote backup. all my list and everything restored.
    11-14-10 08:10 PM
    Good tip, dictoresno! Thanks
    11-14-10 09:18 PM
    i keep both of my phones as mirror image of eachother. just make sure you go into BBM and ensure that its remotely linked and backup up BEFORE you pop your sim out and switch devices. when its not backed up first, the new phone wont find the email link backed up and it wont work. i had to go back to the 9700, move my emails over to it again, back it up, and then finally back again to the 9800.
    11-14-10 10:01 PM
    And you didn't log into BIS and move emails over to the new device after swapping the SIM? Not trying to be a pest bro, cause I to like to swap devices very frequently also. I just hate when I run into issues.
    11-14-10 10:25 PM
    And you didn't log into BIS and move emails over to the new device after swapping the SIM? Not trying to be a pest bro, cause I to like to swap devices very frequently also. I just hate when I run into issues.
    nope. i keep my phones mirrored like i said. all you need to do is this.

1.) back up BBM manually or ensure it is currently linked to your email address. go into BBM, options, back up, back up remotely - make sure your email address says "registered" under it.

2.) power down and remove your SIM card. place it into your new device and power it up.

3.) it should instantly show proper BIS connection however emails and BBMs will NOT work yet. go into your Email Setup on your phone and log into BIS right from your device. it should prompt you saying its detected a new device and would you like to move your emails over to the new phone. say yes. you will be prompted to log into each email. once this is done....

4.) go into your BBM icon. it may be blank and ask you sign up for a new name. ignore it and go into your options, restore, restore from email. then select an email and it should keep you updated on the progress.

5.) in the end, you can resend the service books for good measure and reboot. everything will be good to go and up and running.

so yes, you CAN switch devices on the fly without needing DSW or a computer. you can do it all from your phone and the email setup icon. it took me 5 mins to get everything up and running.
    Xpimp likes this.
    11-14-10 10:40 PM
    Thanks Dictoresno I'm going to try this in a few. Will report back how it works.
    11-14-10 10:48 PM
    Is the Switch Wizard available on the MAC version of Desktop Manager??? Can't find it.
    11-14-10 11:32 PM
    Thanks Dictoresno I'm going to try this in a few. Will report back how it works.
    everything work ok? i swapped mine while sitting in a car in a parking lot last week. its good to know we can. the biggest issue i was concerned about was BBM contacts transferring and being updated.
    11-15-10 12:13 AM
    Is the Switch Wizard available on the MAC version of Desktop Manager??? Can't find it.
    it should be in the drop down menu and say "Switch Device". in windows, the minute you plug in a new phone, it promts you if you want to switch devices.
    11-15-10 12:14 AM
    everything work ok? i swapped mine while sitting in a car in a parking lot last week. its good to know we can. the biggest issue i was concerned about was BBM contacts transferring and being updated.
    Yeah it works perfectly!!!! I swapped from my 9700, to my 9000, and shortly after back to my 9700 without a hitch. BBM was working correctly as I was testing this with a friend each time around. Thanks again man . Only thing I'd say took awhile to register going back to the 9700. But it's understandable considering the average person wont be swapping devices 2 times in less then 20 minutes.
    11-15-10 12:32 AM
    Yeah it works perfectly!!!! I swapped from my 9700, to my 9000, and shortly after back to my 9700 without a hitch. BBM was working correctly as I was testing this with a friend each time around. Thanks again man . Only thing I'd say took awhile to register going back to the 9700. But it's understandable considering the average person wont be swapping devices 2 times in less then 20 minutes.
    good im glad it worked. if it wasnt for BBMs backup/restore feature, this whole thing wouldnt work right.
    11-15-10 01:46 AM
    I am switching companies and thus getting a new 9300. I currently have the 8350i and want to switch over all my contacts, apps, etc.. would doing the switch device mess up the new phone's BIS settings? I'm not interested in swapping all my old company emails from one phone to the other, just the contacts, calendar, and the third party apps...

thanks in advance...
    11-16-10 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD