LOL no I'm not paranoid!

My husband (and a random selection of other people) received an email from me that looked suspicious - it appeared to have been sent from me but was not in sent folder on my outlook or on the webmail.

Interestingly the sent folder on webmail showed copies of the emails sent from my Blackberry, and all the email addresses that received the suspicious email were sent from my Blackberry.

I can only assume that someone interecepted my messages and sent a spoof email appearing to be from me?

I dont know how/who to complain to about this. At present I have turned email off my phone but that will be inconvenient during the week.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
    02-19-12 12:52 PM
    You should change immediately your webmail account password ... with a rock-solid one.
    Most likely the cause of the problem.
    I have never heard any malware spoofing from a BB ... unless you have DL a bad app ... which is mostly unprobable also.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-19-12 12:57 PM
    Maybe a bad app stole your contact list and sent the spam? What did the suspicious email(s) say?
    02-19-12 01:05 PM
    LOL the suspicious email did not appear to be a pfishing one at all :

Hey friend...
    ive been frustrated with myself lately this is the best thing that
    ever happened to me nothing seemed to work for me!
    h t t p : / / w w w . o haretaxiandlimo.com/currentevents/36MatthewJones/
    a weight
    is lifted off my shoulders
    you can pull this off too

talk to you soon!
    02-19-12 01:15 PM
    Most likely your webmail account was hacked.

Recent reports of Account hijacks

My account has been hacked. Help! | Yahoo! Mail Classic Help

MY gmail account was Hacked - Gmail Help

Those are the tips for fixing the issue for Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-19-12 01:18 PM
    I tend to think the webmail was hacked also because it was in your sent mail.

As people know working in dev (I personally work in c#), you can send an email that looks like it's sent from any email address I want using the mail api's.

But for me to send it from your account from either a homegrown app on my desktop (or logging into webmail), I would need to know your password.
    Laura Knotek and KermEd like this.
    02-19-12 01:25 PM
    ... But for me to send it from your account from either a homegrown app on my desktop (or logging into webmail), I would need to know your password.
    In line with what you said, I'm using sixteen character passwords (upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols) generated by my BlackBerry's Password Keeper application for yahoo, hotmail, gmail, and aol mail. Do you think those are reasonably secure and unlikely to be hacked?
    02-19-12 01:35 PM
    In line with what you said, I'm using sixteen character passwords (upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols) generated by my BlackBerry's Password Keeper application for yahoo, hotmail, gmail, and aol mail. Do you think those are reasonably secure and unlikely to be hacked?
    Change your passwords at least every 6 months. Companies (even utility companies like Telus) have your information stolen frequently. No company tells you when your information is stolen unless they have to and almost no companies put *that* disclosure into their privacy clauses.

Shaw, Telus, Enmax, Netflix, RIM, Apple, HP, Dell. All of these companies have had someone steal user information including (in some cases Credit Card numbers) in the last 5 years.

That info is then resold eventually (usually in China). Point is, just change it regularily. Keep in mind, everytime you logon to a website with unencrypted wireless too --- people like me can literally watch you type in your passwords. As that data freely floats out of your device, broadcasts to everyone nearby, and goes to the router you intended it for.

Ed
    02-19-12 02:46 PM
    Change your passwords at least every 6 months. Companies (even utility companies like Telus) have your information stolen frequently. No company tells you when your information is stolen unless they have to and almost no companies put *that* disclosure into their privacy clauses.

Shaw, Telus, Enmax, Netflix, RIM, Apple, HP, Dell. All of these companies have had someone steal user information including (in some cases Credit Card numbers) in the last 5 years.

That info is then resold eventually (usually in China). Point is, just change it regularily. Keep in mind, everytime you logon to a website with unencrypted wireless too --- people like me can literally watch you type in your passwords. As that data freely floats out of your device, broadcasts to everyone nearby, and goes to the router you intended it for.

Ed
    Terrific advice -- thank you! I wondered why it would be necessary to change the password if it's reasonably strong, and I never even considered the possibility that those companies have data stolen. I'll make a recurring task or reminder in my calendar to change passwords regularly!
    02-19-12 03:33 PM
    I too am having more or less the same problem but non of the spoof emails are in my sent box they only started shortly after linking email accounts with my 9810 I have changed all my passwords but still they keep being sent to all my contacts even to me from me, I have even gone to the extent of deleting all my contacts from my email accounts
    04-02-13 04:57 PM
    Sort of the same thing here, but it was my Twitter account that got hijacked. Then it proceed to tell all my contacts how I lost all the weight. And how you can too!

CB10 App, Z10
    04-02-13 05:20 PM
    Could be a malicious app. Go to your security settings and lock things down in terms of what apps are allowed to do. If you don't think a particular app needs access to your contacts or email, lock it out. I haven't seen any apps asking to use my email, though.

As a developer, I can say that it would be extremely difficult for someone to hijack your device without your having given them permission (by installing an app, for example) .

Since the Z10 allows flash and Java script, you could have picked something up by clicking a link in an email. At any rate, I would have a look at your security settings, app by app.

On a side note -- damn, does this keyboard rock or what!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 05:50 PM
    One more thing : turn off wifi until you need it. It's possible that you wandered into someone's unencrypted network and connected. Turning off wifi helps with battery life too.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 06:06 PM
    I recently logged in to an old Gmail account that I haven't used for years only to find that there were loads of spam messages in my sent items box which were sent recently and for the last several months. Looks like someone managed to obtain my password. Just change your password and hopefully it will stop.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD