Recently bought a Microsoft Surface RT 32 gb. It runs on Windows 8 and I've learned online that the Blackberry Desktop Manager can be installed in Win 8 if you also activate .NET 3.5 Framework. So, I followed the instructions to activate this Framework but it does not show up. Anyone know the reason why? Is it an RT issue? Will getting the Pro help?

Article found to do this: If you're upgrading to Windows 8, BlackBerry Desktop Software will work | CrackBerry.com

Thanks,
    Rich
    05-31-13 05:46 PM
    It's probably not a metro app, and Windows RT can only run metro apps. Which basically means apps from the Windows Store.

To run the program on Windows 8 you would have to have one of the desktop editions.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-31-13 05:55 PM
    Windows RT is for ARM devices, so it cannot run applications made for the x86 architecture (all other Windows versions that run on intel/amd machines).
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-31-13 06:08 PM
    I would return RT and buy a Pro.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-31-13 09:13 PM
    Will getting a Surface Pro help? Won't it be just the same as the RT wherein only Microsoft apps will run in there? So, in essence I can never sync/back up my Bbry as long as I have the Surface...sucks.
    06-01-13 01:14 AM
    So, in essence I can never sync/back up my Bbry as long as I have the Surface...sucks.
    The fact that BB10 requires a separate device for performing back ups and restores sucks period. It is so primitive to have to fire up a PC and BlackBerry Link to perform such simple tasks. With Android, I just boot into TWRP and perform a full back up. Once it is done, I can leave it on the device or upload it to drop box. If I ever need to restore, I just boot back into TWRP, select the back up file and like 3 minutes latter my device is restored. No data cable, PC or proprietary software installs required.

I'd love to see BlackBerry 10 devices be able to do that. Personally, I hate having to have BlackBerry Link installed on PCs just to perform back ups and restores.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Rich Vi and kbz1960 like this.
    06-01-13 01:25 AM
    Will getting a Surface Pro help? Won't it be just the same as the RT wherein only Microsoft apps will run in there? So, in essence I can never sync/back up my Bbry as long as I have the Surface...sucks.
    Surface Pro runs the x86 version of Windows. It will run all the apps you are used to running on Windows 7. Windows RT is for ARM based processors and can only run apps developed specifically for that platform.
    06-01-13 09:33 AM
    I would get a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:30 PM
    Don't forget that BlackBerry Link also let's you access the files on the computer that LINK is installed on from your BB,no matter where you are. So it's not just used for backup...

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:36 PM
    The fact that BB10 requires a separate device for performing back ups and restores sucks period.
    BB10 does NOT require a separate "device" to perform backs! Software on the desktop PC is not a device, it's software.

Also BlackBerry Protect performs daily backups on its own that can allow for a 1 time restore (something I hope changes). The fact is a local backup (which is usually backed up to a separate hard drive or cloud service) from your computer is still MORE reliable than a cloud backup - especially when you change a device with vastly different hardware components. Google's Play alerts you and even limits you for downloading even the most simplistic application from being installed to your device - should you change it.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    06-01-13 02:49 PM
    BB10 does NOT require a separate "device" to perform backs! Software on the desktop PC is not a device, it's software.
    Are you serious? Lol hey try running BlackBerry Link software without a separate device to run it on. How far will you get?

BlackBerry Protect isn't a solution either. Believe me I've tried it. You can also if you'd like. Perform a security wipe on your Z10 and see for yourself how little data is backed up with protect. Its a shame, Protect on OS7 was awesome. Protect on BB10 is missing a lot.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-01-13 03:17 PM
    I use my surface pro with my BlackBerry and I have no problems whatsoever

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-01-13 03:18 PM
    Please I need BBM on my Microsoft surface pro
    09-14-14 11:10 AM
    Surface Pro does work. The RT is very limited to a basic "fun" machine whereas the Pro is full Windows 8.1 and can do everything a laptop can do.

Z30'ing
    09-14-14 11:30 AM
    The RT version only run Microsoft Store App (Have a Phone Chip), And The Pro version run ALL windows app (Have a Intel PC Chip)!

Conclusion

The RT version it's a simple tablet

The Pro version it's a laptop with touch screen!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 01:23 PM