As the new line of phones has started to come out we haven't heard any noise about surepress and i for one love my storm 2 because of its surepress, does anybody know if any of the unannounced devices are supposed to have surepress?
    08-05-11 07:40 AM
    Nope. I'm 99.999% sure that SurePress is dead with the Storm 2. RIM received way too many complaints about it and the current crop of touch screens are just that: touch screens.
    08-05-11 07:41 AM
    Well, we'll have to wait and watch. No information so far although they intend to bring out a storm 3.
    08-05-11 07:42 AM
    Nope. I'm 99.999% sure that SurePress is dead with the Storm 2. RIM received way too many complaints about it and the current crop of touch screens are just that: touch screens.
    +1 Thankfully RIM has given up on hobbling it's devices with SurePress. I guess they got tired of being last in the touchscreen smartphone biz.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-05-11 at 08:12 AM.
    08-05-11 07:46 AM
    I also love the SurePress on the Storm 2. But it seems as if we're in the minority. SurePress had a rather hushed and unattended funeral.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 07:46 AM
    SurePress is definitely dead. There's a 0% chance of it returning on a future BlackBerry device.

Conceptually a good innovative idea and on Storm 2 it got closer to being good execution, but I think once a standard emerges there's an expectation set.. and flat glass is that standard.
    08-05-11 07:59 AM
    Deader than fried chicken.
    08-05-11 08:03 AM
    SurePress is definitely dead. There's a 0% chance of it returning on a future BlackBerry device.

Conceptually a good innovative idea and on Storm 2 it got closer to being good execution, but I think once a standard emerges there's an expectation set.. and flat glass is that standard.

It really sucks that this is how it ends up...
    great product ideas die due to the status quo.

I would love to see RIM in 2014 release a SurePress device again, The Storm faithful who purchase the Torch, then after their contracts are up and are looking for QNX touchscreens they can have a choice, ultra thin slab, or slightly thicker surePress, not plagued with the software issues of BBOS5
    08-05-11 08:30 AM
    Count me as a loyal fan of SurePress as well. Let's hope everyone is wrong!
    08-05-11 11:15 PM
    SurePress helped the Storm2 (my first smartphone) stand out in a crowded market. I don't think they should give up so easily on proprietary technology.
    09-05-11 12:01 AM
    Goodbye SurePress, You will NOT be missed! I had the Storm 1 and that SurePress was garbage, It slowed my typing down to be slow as sh!t and to get the screen to be more responsive you had to cut up a business card and stick it under the battery. Areas of the screen were harder to press than some, specifically the edges and if you were trying to type fast you would usually not press hard enough on the letters closer to the outside of the screen because your mind tells you to be consistent with how hard you press your thumbs while typing. You shouldnt have to press extra hard with some letters... Just my 2 cents but I find the overall Idea VERY flawed and am glad to see it burn in ****!
    09-05-11 01:13 AM
    I love my Storm 2 so much that when I saw that the new touch-screen models were coming out with "dead" touch screens I went on-line and bought a second Storm 2 as a backup. I believe that all bad reports about SurePress is due to the fact that a large percentage of units had badly adjusted screens. My second unit had a stiffer touch in the bottom left corner. I bought a torx screwdriver and loosened the nearest case screw half a turn and now it is perfect. "Dead" capacitive screens have no advantages over SurePress.
    09-24-11 12:23 PM
    Never liked SurePress. I find "touching" the screen a lot easier, more efficient and less taxing on my thumbs than 'touching and clicking down" on the screen for every type of input.
    09-24-11 12:30 PM
    If the market truly rejected this option, I can accept that. However, if this option was taken from those of us who loved the experience of using it because a few loudmouth critics didn't bother to understand how great a technology it truly was, that is a shame. Did the Storm line die because of SurePress? I for one doubt that.

As a customer, I want choices. There is no reason SurePress could not have been a selectable option in the new touch screen phones. I would have gladly paid more to have that as an option I could turn on and off on my Torch. I now use my touchpad for most of the things I used to use SurePress to do. It is a usable alternative but not my preference.
    The Storm line isn't dead. It's rebranded as part of the Torch line. Same thing with no clicking screen.

Also, there is a reason why a SurePress model is not available as an option. Why would RIM make two touchscreen devices that are exactly the same besides one having a screen that clicks, and one that doesn't? Put next to a normal capacitive experience, the SurePress model will probably get outsold 100 to 1. That is not worth RIMs time or money to add one more device that barely anyone will buy.

I agree choice is great, but RIM must have their reasons for not offering this choice.
    Last edited by avt123; 09-24-11 at 01:02 PM.
    09-24-11 01:00 PM
    Well when I first got my Storm I loved surepress but even i could see on a handheld it was doomed. It had a high defect return rate and the device debuting it (Storm 1) was just not up to scratch with the competition.
    It was a combination that was not good for the bottom line. The sure killer of anything you care to think about.
    And when the Torch came out and did what it did, well that was basically it.
    09-24-11 01:08 PM
    The Storm line isn't dead. It's rebranded as part of the Torch line. Same thing with no clicking screen.

Also, there is a reason why a SurePress model is not available as an option. Why would RIM make two touchscreen devices that are exactly the same besides one having a screen that clicks, and one that doesn't? Put next to a normal capacitive experience, the SurePress model will probably get outsold 100 to 1. That is not worth RIMs time or money to add one more device that barely anyone will buy.

I agree choice is great, but RIM must have their reasons for not offering this choice.

NO!
    The Storm line is DEAD, No SurePress it isn't a Storm, They Created the Torch brand, it is NOT a continuation of the Storm brand. what does it have in common with the Storm? really the 9850/9860 have MORE in common with the 9800 than ANY 95XX device.

I do hope RIM releases a STORM device in the future, lets see a QNX enabled Storm with SurePress, 10-12 screen sensors not 5, an OS made with Touch screen in mind. The Storms failure was the technology was not ready yet, it was a pretty device, and a great idea. not my cup of tea. but many still hold onto storms for the simple fact of SurePress.
    09-24-11 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD