What, if any, are major differences between outlook and google for things like calendars and contacts? Are they pretty much the same except the company doing the snooping?

I've been on Gmail so long that my email addresses are pretty well established. However, I'm open to change if the calendar sync is better on outlook, especially when integrating it to a website.

emPowered by 
    01-29-15 08:11 PM
    What, if any, are major differences between outlook and google for things like calendars and contacts? Are they pretty much the same except the company doing the snooping?

I've been on Gmail so long that my email addresses are pretty well established. However, I'm open to change if the calendar sync is better on outlook, especially when integrating it to a website.

emPowered by 
    I feel the same way...
    I just don't feel Outlook is any more secure/private than Gmail. If I used Outlook on the desktop I'd probably switch though. My Gmail contacts and calendar sync perfectly to my Q10, and with 10.3 running I can search for email remotely.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.1.1154
    Last edited by NCA510; 01-29-15 at 11:15 PM.
    01-29-15 10:40 PM
    started using protonmail since last month...

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 11:52 PM
    I understand the comment, if we look at people sharing everything in their lives, on online portals like Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter etc...
    If those cry for more privacy, it's just comedic.

However, wanting more privacy on the net as a principle, is neither nuts nor unfeasible.
    And playing the wish down, like you just did, very probably won't help the cause.

We finally saw a move to phones being encrypted by default, by a lot of manufacturers (I don't have to say how laughable it is that especially BlackBerry doesn't do this) for example.

iMessage and WhatsApp would be 2 mainstream messengers, whom actually encrypt the messages sent.
    Which is a far higher degree of security than the consumer BlackBerry Messenger version offers.

The whole NSA/Snowden thing has raised some serious concerns about state financed corporate espionage in Europe.

We definitely see a (albeit small) trend to harder secured email services (also their shutdown, depending on where they are located. Lavamail would be a good, but sad example http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavabit ) as well. Which further leads us to email services in countries with stricter privacy laws.

Etc... Etc...

Being connected and having the expectation of not getting mass surveilled successfully, doesn't have to be an oxymoron.
    Why you felt the need to make fun of people who actually still value their privacy in a modern context, is something I don't really get.
    Thanks for sticking up for those who wish to strike a happy medium between connectivity and privacy.

"Light-hearted joke."

Ha. Ha. Sure.

As for me using fastmail and love it. Email, calendar and (beta) contacts sync!
    BBHermes likes this.
    01-30-15 08:36 AM
    All this talk of privacy, sheesh. Sounds like some folks would be better off with a box of pens and a few reams of paper lol.
    Big Blaze. What email service are you using, finest Sir?

I have been trolled by Apple. My lovely .Mac Adress sucks at showing my attachments on my Blackberry. So what can you suggest?

Outlook seems to be very famous here.
    03-12-15 06:35 PM
    started using protonmail since last month...

Posted via CB10
    I have too...however it currently does not sync to the hub

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:43 PM
    Big Blaze. What email service are you using, finest Sir?

I have been trolled by Apple. My lovely .Mac Adress sucks at showing my attachments on my Blackberry. So what can you suggest?

Outlook seems to be very famous here.
    GMail Apps account, Outlook and ZoHo.
    03-13-15 11:53 AM
    That said, there are even some webmail companies that are seeking to remedy the pitfalls of the current lax security email employs. If you look to recent start up Tutanota.de, you will see that they have already started to obfuscate metadata and are working on bring full obfuscation to the sender and receiver. How soon this will come to light is anyone's guess, but at least this is being worked upon and I truly believe this will become a reality sooner rather than later (Source: Interview: Tutanota CEO on Security, Encryption and the NSA - Softpedia
    Suprisingly OS10's browser is supported under them.
    04-09-15 10:27 AM
    Suprisingly OS10's browser is supported under them.
    Yup! That is one of the many reasons I enjoy Tutanota; their Android app also runs stellar under BlackBerry 10 (aside from a wonky icon and naming issue). The more they do, the more I enjoy them. I highly encourage their services to all members here.
    04-11-15 05:48 PM
    I'm sure 99% of the people in this thread have high level security matters in their emails, thus need to ensure complete privacy. :eyeroll:

give me a break....
    Spoken like a true Marketing professional. Corporations and reading emails for target marketing purposes is just as invasive as anything the NSA can do...

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 01:16 AM
    Yup! That is one of the many reasons I enjoy Tutanota; their Android app also runs stellar under BlackBerry 10 (aside from a wonky icon and naming issue). The more they do, the more I enjoy them. I highly encourage their services to all members here.
    I just signed up with Tutanota, have the Android App through snap. However, I'm looking for a way to get it to work with HUB. Have you used it from HUB yet?

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 01:22 AM
    I just signed up with Tutanota, have the Android App through snap. However, I'm looking for a way to get it to work with HUB. Have you used it from HUB yet?

Posted via CB10
    Alas, I do not think this is possible with their Android app. I am no developer but I do believe hub integration must specifically be coded into the app. I was thinking of making the request to the admins over there to look into a BlackBerry app, which I do believe is the only way we will see hub integration (if any).

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 08:33 AM
    Outlook and Gmail allow two steps verification, it make you Account a little more secure, but both have privacy issue, US goverment can have Access to them.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 12:29 PM
    Protonmail is considering building an app for Blackberry however they are working on an andriod and ios version currently. If you would like to see an app for blackberry you can vote for it here.

https://protonmail.uservoice.com/for...blackberry-app

If you are not famiar with protonmail you better check them out they are making some headway and I am very impressed with their updated thus far. https://protonmail.ch/
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    05-06-15 09:55 AM
    Greetings,

I'm thinking of getting rid of gmail, in part out of privacy/security concerns. Not sure what to consider for a replacement: But who better to ask than the BB community, for whom security is a middle name. So my question:

What do you guys recommend for a secure, private, imap, email service? What are the best, most-user-friendly options? Of course, it must be BB-friendly!

Thanks
    If you want privacy from data miners and advertisers, I would suggest no free email service is going to provide it. How do you think they make money? If not now you can be assured they will in the future.
    05-06-15 10:12 AM
    If you want privacy from data miners and advertisers, I would suggest no free email service is going to provide it. How do you think they make money? If not now you can be assured they will in the future.
    Good Point
    05-15-15 12:37 PM
    Outlook functions very well on BB10. I use it. I also use Gmail and Yahoo with no issues.

As for privacy, I have a Protonmail account, but it has to be accessed through the browser (no IMAP support yet). I'd use it a lot if it weren't for the lack of IMAP. Also, it's not really secure unless whoever you're emailing is using it also, and you have privately shared the decryption key.

I would pay BlackBerry for email like I used to have on BIS. It should be paid and ad free. That would be worth it. It seems like it would be another excellent use for BlackBerry's n.o.c.
    I would pay BlackBerry for email as well..

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 10:35 AM
    Gmail, Hotmail-Outlook - the same, don't bother, both of them are sneaking a look at the private emails. Simply, there is no privacy!
    06-16-15 04:24 AM
168 ... 567