I sell alot of my old phones on ebay, just looking to sell 2 blackberrys I had laying around and there going for next to nothing on ebay. Is there a reason why the resale value is so low?
    02-22-11 10:48 PM
    which ones do you have?? obviously, the price of resale is dependent on model of phone.
    02-22-11 11:04 PM
    You'll never really get back what you paid for originally.
    Have you ever owned an expensive watch, say a Rolex and sell it?
    you'll be lucky enough to get 50% of the price you paid for it.
    Technology is the WORST when it comes to resale value.
    even if you sell it within 6 months of release, you won't be able to profit from it..at least break even i suppose.
    The only scenario i see where you can make money is this, get a subsidized smartphone through extension of your contract and then sell it as brand new.
    otherwise, it's just another expensive paper weight.
    02-22-11 11:17 PM
    Like mark said. Even a brand new car unless you got an exceptional deal won't bring back what you paid, the day after you drove it off the lot. If you want to break the cycle start using what you have until it stops functioning! And fer gods sake sell them before they become antiques. Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 05:52 AM
    It's cause technology in general is moving faster than it's coming out. Once the phone, car, etc. hits the floor or is bought it's pretty much "outdated" and already has lost a little value. Just the way it works i guess,
    02-23-11 06:09 AM
    Everyone above is correct and of all places Ebay will usually get you the least amount anyway.

02-23-11 06:21 AM
    In UK resale value is quite high at the moment, I suspect it's because of the cheap payg deals from all carriers.

02-23-11 12:27 PM
    You'll never really get back what you paid for originally.
    Have you ever owned an expensive watch, say a Rolex and sell it?
    you'll be lucky enough to get 50% of the price you paid for it.
    Technology is the WORST when it comes to resale value.
    even if you sell it within 6 months of release, you won't be able to profit from it..at least break even i suppose.
    The only scenario i see where you can make money is this, get a subsidized smartphone through extension of your contract and then sell it as brand new.
    otherwise, it's just another expensive paper weight.
    Actually, Rolex watches keep their value, and sometimes gain value. But for phones and cars, yeah they go down.
    02-23-11 01:32 PM
    The iPhone is basically the only device that you can make a profit from after having it used. My iPhone 3G was about 8 months old and my 3GS was about 6months old and they both sold for $700 (each) on ebay. Both were 16GB version. I sold my Bold 9000 for $200 with some accessories.
    02-23-11 01:36 PM
    The iPhone is basically the only device that you can make a profit from after having it used. My iPhone 3G was about 8 months old and my 3GS was about 6months old and they both sold for $700 (each) on ebay. Both were 16GB version. I sold my Bold 9000 for $200 with some accessories.
    Iphone isn't immune to depreciation. You can buy hundreds of 16gb iPhone4 for less than $500 right now on ebay...
    iphone 4 items - Get great deals on Cell Phones Smartphones, Camera items on eBay.com!

You got lucky getting the price you did for yours.
    02-23-11 09:38 PM
    That's just the nature of Blackberry devices... unfortunately resale isn't usually that high unless the thing just came to market 1-3 months ago. After 6-9 months, good luck...
    02-23-11 10:37 PM
    Actually, Rolex watches keep their value, and sometimes gain value. But for phones and cars, yeah they go down.
    NO for Rolex, Panerai, Breitling, Tag Heuer and other household name brands
    Yes for Audemars Piguet , Girard Perregaux and Patek Philippe.
    02-23-11 11:27 PM
    It depends on the device. I've sold a sprint HTC touch pro 2 for 300 on eBay, my original moto droid sold for more than I bought it for, and I'm about to sell my incredible. I paid 200 after rebate for my incredible and that's about what they're going for on eBay right now. I want the HTC thunderbolt which I've heard is going to be priced about 250 after rebate, so if I get 200 for my incredible I'll only be paying 50 for a new 4g phone.

02-24-11 12:13 AM
    NO for Rolex, Panerai, Breitling, Tag Heuer and other household name brands
    Yes for Audemars Piguet , Girard Perregaux and Patek Philippe.
    Depends on the vintage.
    I have a new Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk (BMW/Oracle Racing version) and I have already been offered more than I paid for it. But I also have a '68 Omega Speedmaster Pro that is worth about ten times the retail price when it sold new in 1968.

But it's really not a fair comparison. Consumer electronics have a finite lifespan. Mechanical watches can last for generations.
    02-24-11 12:45 AM
    About a year ago I bought a 8707v for 25 and a 8310 for 50, now the 8310 is over 100 on ebay and the 8707v around 50, prices are going up for older blackberrys.

02-24-11 01:40 AM
    Technology is moving so fast its hard to buy a phone and it still be hip and cool 6 months later. No one wants to pay much for a 1 year old phone or older.

02-24-11 03:17 AM
    Like everyone said, technology improves fast, so older models of any electronic will have low resale value. It's different for watches. Time doesn't improve, so all time pieces are timeless pieces.
    02-24-11 05:07 PM
    Iphone isn't immune to depreciation. You can buy hundreds of 16gb iPhone4 for less than $500 right now on ebay...
    iphone 4 items - Get great deals on Cell Phones Smartphones, Camera items on eBay.com!

You got lucky getting the price you did for yours.
    Nah that's not luck, the same price two years in a row and every other one was listed for the same price as well (and I know people from this site got that price or close to it, and I know multiple people IRL that got the same price as I did). That was the selling price. Maybe the iPhone just isn't as desirable as it use to be and that's why it doesn't go for as much. Now there are tons of deals you can get, especially really cheap older versions from the carriers. There were no iPhones selling for $100 new on contract when I put my iPhone up.

Point is, it still is the device that has the highest resale value. Android, BB, Palm/HP and Nokia do not sell as well. Unless they are brand new.
    Last edited by avt123; 02-24-11 at 06:24 PM.
    02-24-11 06:20 PM
    ^^ Correct. A $500 used iPhone is a brand new torch. No other devices hold value that well.
    02-25-11 06:53 AM
    ^^ Correct. A $500 used iPhone is a brand new torch. No other devices hold value that well.
    Exactly. Even $500 for a used iPhone is incredible. The majority of high end devices coming out go for $500-$600 full retail.
    02-25-11 01:53 PM
    The price on 8310s has come up in the last 6 months. I've been selling some in the $50-75 range lately. Not bad for "old" technology...
    02-25-11 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD