I had a curve before and got it slightly wet and it worked right away so this is all new to me.....

Today....while at dinner with 8 kids....one knocked over the pitcher of water right on to my lap...phone in my pocket! I got it out and noticed it was slightly damp. The screen was lit up and looked fine (looked as if I was entering a number ...pocketdial). I tried to clear it with the red stop button and got the letter N.

Everything else looks fine...the keys are just not working properly. I took the battery, SIM and memory card out and it is in rice. This happened last night and the phone is still in drying. Have not tried it yet.

I have read the "how to" post on water damage...I am just wandering about success rates...looking for some hope here....

Anyone had the hone come back on and work fine after something like this? I am so afraid.....I have only had this phone for 2 months!
    06-27-10 08:05 AM
    It's a crap shoot. Just depends on whether any circuitry shorted out before you got that battery pulled. Chances are your ok, but it may take disassembly, and a clean up under the keypad membrane, to have the keys working properly again. Give it at least one more day to absorb the moisture.

Posted from my berSupercharged Onyx at Idon'tneednostinkin'mobileview.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 08:16 AM
    There was a longish thread about using desiccants (those little packages) which can be purchased in larger quantities at hardware stores. The more patient at waiting the better.
    06-27-10 09:28 AM
    There are also a lot of threads that tell you why voodoo is better than drying out your phone and praying it works.

I'd search a thread for you if I was on my PC but I'm not so search the forums for "alcohol water" or something like that. Don't just dry the phone out, that's kinds the worst thing you can do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 11:09 AM
    I brought a 9700 back after dropping it in a water tank. There's a good disassemble video on utube you can use to follow along with. I think the most important thing for me was being patient. I was able to get the battery out before it got too wet - just a corner of the sticker turned pink. Once I had the device apart - and I only disassembled it enough to reach the boards. I left the screen alone and the circuit boards in place. I dried it with hot air from my car's defroster for an hour or so. I then dabbed alcohol on everything I could get to with a q-tip. Then I let it air dry for a day. After I put it back together, it fired right up and ran fine for a few weeks - until my insurance replacement arrived. One tip is to go easy on the screws. They strip easily. Good luck!

06-27-10 03:08 PM
    Thanks - I am looking for some hope here. I have read all that there is to read and do not think it got too wet. The battery indicator is still white. The phone indicator is red...however not sure when that may have happened (I take it with when I run and it is a warm/sweaty waist pack).

Everyone posts needing help but rarely does anyone come back and give an update on what worked and what did not work.

Thus the reason I am looking for hope...
    06-27-10 03:46 PM
    Thanks - I am looking for some hope here. I have read all that there is to read and do not think it got too wet. The battery indicator is still white. The phone indicator is red...however not sure when that may have happened (I take it with when I run and it is a warm/sweaty waist pack).

Everyone posts needing help but rarely does anyone come back and give an update on what worked and what did not work.

Thus the reason I am looking for hope...
    I work in an electronics manufacturing company as a software engineer. I've been there a long time and I can tell you alcohol works. In fact water cannot Damage the electronics but the impurities can. We used to wash our hardware in a dishwasher before finishing it up for distribution.

Use 100% alcohol and you can't go wrong.
    06-27-10 03:56 PM
    Alcohol doesn't leave anything behind. I think even radioshack sells some purpose built stuff that really is the same thing. Take the battery out before you do it!! lol

I think we actually agree on something Radius
    06-27-10 04:03 PM
    AS SOON AS YOUR PHONE HITS WATER POP OUT THE BATTERY AND PUT IT IN A PLASTIC BAG FULL OF RICE MAKE SURE THE PHONE IS FULLY COVERED IN IT. LEAVE IT FOR A DAY OR 2 AND YOUR PHONE SHOULD BE FINE.

CHANCES ARE THIS METHOD WONT WORK IF YOU WAITED A WEEK SINCE THE WATER. BUT HEY GUESS ITS WORTH THE TRY.

(this method is best if used rt after water damage.)
    06-28-10 10:57 AM
    The pure alcohol method is better, but in a pinch the rice or silica gel pack method is better than nothing. Here is a good thread explaining what to do....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ht-way-318876/
    06-28-10 11:09 AM
    Just don't use rum. Everclear is a good one though.
    06-28-10 11:12 AM
    Arrrrrrr, a pirate uses rum !!, but I used Denatured Alcohol.

06-28-10 12:28 PM
    Denatured is the way to go, it will be much cheaper. Also it may be difficult to find 100% (or 200 Proof) But you want to get it as high as possible that 86% Isopropyl kind you get at the drug store will not do! Everclear will work thou!
    06-28-10 03:13 PM
    AS SOON AS YOUR PHONE HITS WATER POP OUT THE BATTERY AND PUT IT IN A PLASTIC BAG FULL OF RICE MAKE SURE THE PHONE IS FULLY COVERED IN IT. LEAVE IT FOR A DAY OR 2 AND YOUR PHONE SHOULD BE FINE.

CHANCES ARE THIS METHOD WONT WORK IF YOU WAITED A WEEK SINCE THE WATER. BUT HEY GUESS ITS WORTH THE TRY.

(this method is best if used rt after water damage.)
    I did this with my old 8330, it worked.
    06-28-10 05:30 PM
    96% Isopropyl alcohol is readily available, though denatured is best. The problem is when moisture and crud gets under the keypad membrane or trackball dome. Then it becomes necessary to get under, or even if it works, it will be much more sensitive to moisture.
    06-28-10 07:06 PM
    I keep a tupperware thing filled w/rice. Any water damage and I put it inside the tupperware container filled w/rice (after taking battery out). I keep it in there for a day or two. It usually works.

06-28-10 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD