I'm getting my first BB today and I'm really confused as to what I want to get.

Both seem like great phones but my first choice is the bold because it looks really slic and professional. But at the AT&T website, they're offering the torch for $99 and the bold for $199 both on a 2 year contract. Which seems absurd because the torch seems like it would have greater features than the bold so why is it cheaper than the bold?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to buy?
    Thanks.
    11-07-10 01:11 PM
    torch 512 memory bold 256
    torch 5mp camera bold 3.2
    torch os 6 bold 5(upgradable to 6)

browser comparison BlackBerry Browser Comparison – Bold 9700 vs. Torch 9800

i luv my bold not a touch screen guy..........nevertheless torch is a cool device
    11-07-10 01:40 PM
    Well I would suggest doing what I did. I have tmo which doesn't offer the torch. I was thinking about switching so I went to the store and played with the torch for a while. I liked it, but didn't love it. So now I have my Bold and its my baby... Love it so very much lol. ATT might get the 9780, so keep that in mind too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 01:41 PM
    I'd rather get the 9780 if AT&T gets it/has it. It is an upgraded 9700 (more memory and a 5MP camera).

But out of those two you listed, I would still rather get the 9700. I am not a fan of RIM touchscreen devices.
    11-07-10 01:56 PM
    bold for sure!
    11-07-10 02:08 PM
    I'd rather get the 9780 if AT&T gets it/has it. It is an upgraded 9700 (more memory and a 5MP camera).

But out of those two you listed, I would still rather get the 9700. I am not a fan of RIM touchscreen devices.
    The Torch isn't like any other BB touchscreen device.
    I've never had a touchscreen phone before this, and I intentionally avoided iPhones and Androids because I knew I couldn't live with the touchscreen alone. I do use the Torch's physicsal keyboard for longrer text entry (like thgis post), but I find myself using the touchscreen more than I ever thought I would for everything else.

To the OP, if your torn between the 9700 snd 9800, you really owe it to yourself to check out the 9800.

11-07-10 02:10 PM
    The Torch isn't like any other BB touchscreen device.
    I've never had a touchscreen phone before this, and I intentionally avoided iPhones and Androids because I knew I couldn't live with the touchscreen alone. I do use the Torch's physicsal keyboard for longrer text entry (like thgis post), but I find myself using the touchscreen more than I ever thought I would for everything else.

To the OP, if your torn between the 9700 snd 9800, you really owe it to yourself to check out the 9800.

I know it is not like any other RIM touchscreen device. But, from one I have seen, and experienced, I do not like the Torch. I do not like BB OS on a touchscreen. I honestly do not like BB OS as it is. I think QNX will be RIMs big breakthrough into the touchscreen market. But if I had/wanted to use BB OS, I prefer it on a traditional QWERTY/trackpad BB.

The OP should definitely check it out though. Our opinions shouldn't help them form theirs. They need to experience the devices for themselves. When I go to buy a device, I dont care who else likes it or dislikes it, it is about what I think.
    11-07-10 02:15 PM
    I got my very first BB last month. I got the Torch and I LOVE it! I'm not a fancy executive but it meets and exceeds my needs. Plus, it's fun!
    11-07-10 02:22 PM
    If the Torch is cheaper than the 9700, I would definitely get the Torch. If you don't like it, you can always take it back and the get the other device.

11-07-10 02:37 PM
    Thanks for all the replies! My first and preferred choice is definitely the bold. The reason I'm so torn is because they're offering a torch which I think generally has greater specifications for a less price. The bold is a hundred dollar more than the torch on ATT. But it might be worth it.

I'll also check out the upgraded version of the 9700. Thanks!

eta: I also went to ATT a while ago to check out the torch, seems like a good phone but nothing about it excites me as much as the bold.
    11-07-10 05:13 PM
    I'll put it another way for you... Either way you are most likely going to get used to, and love, your phone.

I have the black bold but wanted the white one. Went and got the black planning to return it but got so used to the black one I just kept it.

Also, if I didn't have my bold I would own a torch. The white one is going to be pretty slick.

11-07-10 06:39 PM
    Please also keep in mind they are EOL (End of life)ing the 9700. I had the 9700 and loved it, but at this point in time, I would choose the Torch over the 9700 because how much longer it will be supported is of concern to me. The best thing is to play with them, as mentioned before, because hands on is the best teller of what you would personally like
    11-07-10 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD