View Poll Results: Do you want to see CB and the other Smartphone Experts sites do this?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Shampoo is betta.

14 100.00%
  • No - Conditioner is betta.

0 0%
    Streaming Video IN the BlackBerry 6 Browser? How Does Comic Vine do it? - BerryReview

Interesting little read about how a site is embedding videos so that the mobile browser on BBOS6 (or any WebKit version) is able to play the videos without the need for a mobile YouTube video link. There are other sites that I've seen do this as well and the nice part is that any WebKit browser can play these videos properly without the use of YouTube mobile site link or YouTube onboard app. Yes, even the iPhone's browser can play these type of embedded videos (sorry, I had to throw that in there. ), except that Safari plays the video in full screen mode rather than the little video window as seen on the BBOS6 browser.

Anyway, more to the point, what's keeping other sites (and our beloved one too) from doing this? Seems like much nicer and smoother implementation.

Would you guys like to see all the Smartphone Experts affiliated sites move to this type of video embedding?
    03-07-11 05:13 PM
    Speaking as an iPhone user and having had the experience with embedded videos
    that don't go into full screen mode on the Droid X I've used in the past, my answer
    is no. The experience of embedded videos of the sort we're speaking of here was
    terrible for me. Too much lag, pausing, rebuffering, etc. This was on both Flash and
    YouTube. Even with an i4 I still don't trust that it would be any better.
    03-07-11 05:48 PM
    Speaking as an iPhone user and having had the experience with embedded videos
    that don't go into full screen mode on the Droid X I've used in the past, my answer
    is no. The experience of embedded videos of the sort we're speaking of here was
    terrible for me. Too much lag, pausing, rebuffering, etc. This was on both Flash and
    YouTube. Even with an i4 I still don't trust that it would be any better.
    Don't knock it until you try it. Go to the comic site in question and hit the video section. See how the videos have a little play button in the middle of them and how when you click it, it plays in full screen without opening up the YouTube app. It's very nice and doesn't lag.
    03-07-11 05:53 PM
    Don't knock it until you try it. Go to the comic site in question and hit the video section. See how the videos have a little play button in the middle of them and how when you click it, it plays in full screen without opening up the YouTube app. It's very nice and doesn't lag.
    I'm talking about the type that are embedded and don't go into full screen mode.
    Instead they stay embedded within the browser itself. The ones that you're
    referring to like in the Comic site are fine with me. That's pretty much the way
    HTML 5 plays on iOS which I like. It's the small, embedded kinds that I have a
    problem with. I know for sure when viewing a YouTube video on Tipb.com through
    my RSS reader that it does the same, exact thing as the Comic site.
    03-07-11 05:56 PM
    LOVING Billy Madison reference!

I voted yes
    03-07-11 06:55 PM
    Actually, on the full website on an iPhone, Tipb already does what you're talking
    about. Check this link on the full page on your iPhone, Civic

TiPb TV 16: Switching to the Verizon iPhone? | TiPb
    03-07-11 07:08 PM
    Actually, on the full website on an iPhone, Tipb already does what you're talking
    about. Check this link on the full page on your iPhone, Civic

TiPb TV 16: Switching to the Verizon iPhone? | TiPb
    Lol, I know, I don't hit mobile anything anymore. Most if not all the videos there are like that because the people there know the iPhone's browser can handle it nicely. For BB users, they've been so long without a good browser, this is all new to them.

Here's the nice part. If more sites would embed videos like this, people wouldn't need to worry about Flash as much. But hey, I didn't say that. Lol
    03-07-11 08:46 PM
    The same thing happens if you pull up the full desktop version of Youtube on your BB Browser and enable HTML5..
    03-07-11 10:49 PM
    Funny that this topic came up, as I was at the colorwarepc.com this morning on my torch, they actually allow you to stream the embedded video on the site without poping up the player. If you go to ColorWare - BlackBerry Torch 9800 and scroll all the way down to the video, it does pop up a window as it does on your pc but it plays the video from there.

Streaming Video IN the BlackBerry 6 Browser? How Does Comic Vine do it? - BerryReview

Interesting little read about how a site is embedding videos so that the mobile browser on BBOS6 (or any WebKit version) is able to play the videos without the need for a mobile YouTube video link. There are other sites that I've seen do this as well and the nice part is that any WebKit browser can play these videos properly without the use of YouTube mobile site link or YouTube onboard app. Yes, even the iPhone's browser can play these type of embedded videos (sorry, I had to throw that in there. ), except that Safari plays the video in full screen mode rather than the little video window as seen on the BBOS6 browser.

Anyway, more to the point, what's keeping other sites (and our beloved one too) from doing this? Seems like much nicer and smoother implementation.

Would you guys like to see all the Smartphone Experts affiliated sites move to this type of video embedding?
    03-08-11 01:13 AM
    03-08-11 05:17 AM
    That's not YouTube's site directly. That's a YouTube embedded video on the site that you linked the user is showing. Still, you are correct, you can embed YouTube videos like this on any site, but full YouTube site still likes you to have Flash installed on it. They really should change that.
    03-08-11 09:09 AM
    That's not YouTube's site directly. That's a YouTube embedded video on the site that you linked the user is showing. Still, you are correct, you can embed YouTube videos like this on any site, but full YouTube site still likes you to have Flash installed on it. They really should change that.
    yeah i just showed what can browser do & whats blocking on youtube. i hope things get changed
    03-08-11 10:17 AM
    yeah i just showed what can browser do & whats blocking on youtube. i hope things get changed
    I hope so. With changes such as these, having Flash on the device may not be an issue so much anymore. Seems to me most people want Flash on their device because they want to watch videos. Obviously, this is possible if the website is properly embedding videos even without Flash on the handset. More should do it and save us all the battery drain.
    03-08-11 10:47 AM
    I hope so. With changes such as these, having Flash on the device may not be an issue so much anymore. Seems to me most people want Flash on their device because they want to watch videos. Obviously, this is possible if the website is properly embedding videos even without Flash on the handset. More should do it and save us all the battery drain.
    see this - YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

its still in BETA & working buggy on PC. If they add this on mobile site i'm pretty sure we'll get what we want. waiting for full release
    03-08-11 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD