Why doesn't BB do the google thing and release BB10 to OEMs for free?

Goog fans seem to love this business model.

BB could just adopt the same business model and become the great success google is.

Lets face it. Most OEMs are dying because of android anyways. They have to pay microsoft licensing fees. Motorola's patents did nothing to help. BB10 would actually be free where droid actually comes at significant costs.

Seems like a genius move to me. All the droid fans would have to be on board becuase its a proven business model. There is really nothing special about droid other than the fact it has large user adoption because initially it was free for OEMs. I've never heard anything that differentiates android other than marketshare and being open. BB could do this too. This seems like a great idea for BB to really make its way back and obtain that marketshare that many goog fans see as all important, even more so than direct profits off device sales.
    06-06-13 01:24 PM
    Genious move how?

How do you expect BlackBerry to make ANY money if they do this? Really. Licensing BB10 is a good idea. Giving it away is just (sorry) dumb.

If you build a house using your money, sweat and time, do you really want to just give it to strangers?

Google is most and foremost a services company. They didn't even sell phones back then (and some will say they still don't). Android is a platform for Google's services (and that was the briliant part of making it "free").

Really, think this over...
    06-06-13 01:30 PM
    Genious move how?

How do you expect BlackBerry to make ANY money if they do this? Really. Licensing BB10 is a good idea. Giving it away is just (sorry) dumb.

If you build a house using your money, sweat and time, do you really want to just give it to strangers?

Google is most and foremost a services company. They didn't even sell phones back then (and some will say they still don't). Android is a platform for Google's services (and that was the briliant part of making it "free").

Really, think this over...
    To the bolded part, I pretty much agree with you. Looking for some googfans to see their perspectives. Can't beat em, join em right?
    But I honestly think if its such a good business plan for google why wouldn't it work for BB? Why can't this be an option on the table? BB has shown they are will to make big changes (BBM cross platform and free!)? Thor is always talking about being strategic and exploring all options.

To the underlined. Google likes people to think they are a services company but they aren't. They are a data-mining advertisment space selling company. Those two things come first. The 'services' are how they are provided. No one is buying google services. They dont make any money sell services. They sell advertising space and user data. Simple as that. Definitely a big mis-perception on this services thing.
    06-06-13 01:40 PM
    I do think it is a 'genious' move.
    06-06-13 01:41 PM
    Nothing you said supports anything you said in the OP.

"Can't beat em, join em right?" Nope. Not even close.
    06-06-13 03:07 PM
    Nothing you said supports anything you said in the OP.

"Can't beat em, join em right?" Nope. Not even close.

Okay. So why doesn't BB replicate google services, whatever they are and give BB away for free and make money the same way Google is doing? They can't be the only one in that space right? Any extremely lucrative area should be highly contested. Why let google take all the profits.

Giving things away for free gains you marketshare. There is nothing special about android other than its developper community who we all know is only there because they have a large marketshare.

So why don't they adopt the same business model? Google makes tons of cash don't they? They are extremely well respected aren't they?

Any droid users have an opinion? Successful business often get copied, thats just how its always been. This could be a big new avenue for BB. We all know how important marketshare is. Why worry about profits. It doesn't seem to bother companies like facebook or google. They need more markershare, worry about money later. Isn't that they new way in tech?
    06-06-13 04:50 PM
    No thanks its not genius its stupid.BB dont do free.If there's no money being made they are out straight away.Qnx dev licenses are 10k+ why would they give BB10 for free.Windows phone OS is not even given free oems pay for that.BB10 better that WP can easily get paid of licensing if it went that way.

BB about getting money not giving stuff away free.Google dont care android is free they only care about getting many to sign up to their services nothing more.They are very happy with android spam.It works for them advertising money and data mining is how they make money they do this with android.Free stuff is not how BB make money the google way would'nt work for BB..BB have to find their own niche and thing Im good with the m2m,mdm,mobile computing push much more profitable then free os.

Funnily enough BB have been approached by OEMS wanting to have BBM preloaded on their devices no doubt thats would bring licensing fees.

So BB's got to do its own thing, its own way. No to free '' F**k you ,pay me.''
    06-06-13 04:54 PM
    Still wondering what the goog fans think.
    06-06-13 04:59 PM
    Why doesn't BB do the google thing and release BB10 to OEMs for free?

Goog fans seem to love this business model.

BB could just adopt the same business model and become the great success google is.

Lets face it. Most OEMs are dying because of android anyways. They have to pay microsoft licensing fees. Motorola's patents did nothing to help. BB10 would actually be free where droid actually comes at significant costs.

Seems like a genius move to me. All the droid fans would have to be on board becuase its a proven business model. There is really nothing special about droid other than the fact it has large user adoption because initially it was free for OEMs. I've never heard anything that differentiates android other than marketshare and being open. BB could do this too. This seems like a great idea for BB to really make its way back and obtain that marketshare that many goog fans see as all important, even more so than direct profits off device sales.
    The problem with them doing that is not only the loss of BB10 Licensing fees it the whole QNX business you need to worry about. the QNX kernal in BB10 Is the same one found in other QNX systems ( cars, nuke plant, space station, ect). why would anyone pay for QNX when they can get BB10 free which can do the same things?
    06-06-13 05:08 PM
    The problem with them doing that is not only the loss of BB10 Licensing fees it the whole QNX business you need to worry about. the QNX kernal in BB10 Is the same one found in other QNX systems ( cars, nuke plant, space station, ect). why would anyone pay for QNX when they can get BB10 free which can do the same things?
    Giving away BB10 for free does not equate to giving away QNX for free.

As for the original question, I'd love the idea. I'd love each OS to be given away for free. But, how do they/BBRY monetize? We know how Google monetizes with its process, convoluted as it is. How would BBRY make money?
    06-06-13 05:24 PM
    Ya, maybe the could still license QNX to other industries but make specific free licenses for phone OEMs.

I personally think its a horrible idea, haha. I hope BB never does it.

Buuuuuut, google makes a lot of money, people loooove android's marketshare. I don't see why it couldn't be an option. So many people have called BB dead, but when I think about this I don't see how they ever could be, just give you stuff away for free like goog/twit/fb and make money later. Its the new tech business model!
    06-06-13 05:43 PM
    Your best shot at me was nagging about a spelling mistake? Dude...

Ok, let's give this one last go...

Okay. So why doesn't BB replicate google services,

This is a good idea. Free, quality PIM services and email with Active Sync support and BlacKBerry's well stablished know-how. Problem with this is adoption. It would be yet another service to get people to join, but it is not that bad of an idea really. This is as far as it goes. BlackBerry won't and shouldn't do BlackBerry+, BlackBerry Translator, BlackBerry Search and etc. Waste of time and focus.

whatever they are and give BB away for free and make money the same way Google is doing? They can't be the only one in that space right? Any extremely lucrative area should be highly contested. Why let google take all the profits.

Let's go... Google is a services/ads/data minig company. They started as a search engine. They grew on that. BlackBerry is neither. They are a smartphone manufacturer that owns their production line from end to end (both hardware and software are owned by BlackBerry). All other manutactures BUT Apple need to get their software from somewhere.

Google makes money off Android by forcing their services onto the platform. You need a google account to have proper service and access to all features. BlackBerry does not have such ecosystem, nor should they waste much time on it. I could agree with you if they actually had something like Yahoo! (which is the situation Microsoft is at - they just own the hardware, but they own the ecosystem and the software).

BlackBerry on the other hand can only make money from their hardware and software. Just let go of your idea for a moment and you'll see how obvious it is. If they give the OS away, what reason will people have to buy their hardware? Any HTC running BB10 will be at least half the price of a Q5. If BlackBerry had a strong, healthy porfolio of services besides BES/BES10, then yes, maybe they could consider it. HP made webOS open-source. Look how well that is going.

Now, I'm not against having BB10 made available to other manufactors. Pay for access, license BB10 and launch as many phones are you want - free of any costs but the licenses they have to pay to BlackBerry, no more hoping Android gets hit with another lawsuit. Fixed cost (and maybe even lower costs they are paying with law suit fees/WP licenses). That would - like I said before - get guys like HTC to make some cheap BB10 devices and that would mean BB10 marketshare (BlackBerry benefits, HTC benefits, clients benetif).

Giving things away for free gains you marketshare. There is nothing special about android other than its developper community who we all know is only there because they have a large marketshare.

Well, you just figured out why BBM is going cross-platform.

So why don't they adopt the same business model? Google makes tons of cash don't they? They are extremely well respected aren't they?

Because the are drastically different companies at radically different situations. Or did I miss BlackBerry being a top dog in the ads/service/search industry?

Any droid users have an opinion?

Maybe you should post this in Android Central.

Successful business often get copied, thats just how its always been. This could be a big new avenue for BB. We all know how important marketshare is. Why worry about profits. It doesn't seem to bother companies like facebook or google. They need more markershare, worry about money later. Isn't that they new way in tech?

They get copied when it makes sense to. Samsung did copy Apple. Heck, everybody copied Apple (and rightfully so, since Apple copied everybody). This does not mean every idea has to be copied and sorry, this is just not going to help BlackBerry ANY.

And on this brilliant "worry about money later" comment: BlackBerry could have been the new Palm. They were not only and ONLY because they managed the money they had well. Keep in mind, money is not infinite. If BB10 sales were bad, BlackBerry would have a very finite lifespan. Then we'd see assets being sold and finally PalmBerry.

Which can still happen, should they do enough wrong moves.
    Strategic Move-picard-facepalm.jpg

Ya, maybe the could still license QNX to other industries but make specific free licenses for phone OEMs.

I personally think its a horrible idea, haha. I hope BB never does it.

Buuuuuut, google makes a lot of money, people loooove android's marketshare. I don't see why it couldn't be an option. So many people have called BB dead, but when I think about this I don't see how they ever could be, just give you stuff away for free like goog/twit/fb and make money later. Its the new tech business model!
    Also keep in mind that QNX is already available to car manufactures around the world. This is part of BlackBerry's long term strategy. The Android SDK is (or is about to be, can't remember) there for them to port apps for cars now. And the whole Mobile Computing thing can only lead to greater interaction between phone and car. Maybe we're even looking at BB10 for cars.

And like you said... Marketshare...
    06-06-13 08:51 PM
    Nah. Apple sort of tried this with the old Mac OS to combat Microsoft. Remember the Mac clones? Apple actually licensed the OS. Same result for BlackBerry though if free. Companies would pump out crap hardware fast and with higher specs than BlackBerry can keep pace with. Stealing higher end hardware sales from BlackBerry.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    06-10-13 01:21 AM
    The model works for Google because the more people use their phones and Google's services, the more money Google makes off the ads in the longrun.

They're probably the only company who could do something like this besides maybe Amazon who also used Android.

So, license it for a fee? Maybe. For free? No way.
    06-10-13 01:29 AM
    Your best shot at me was nagging about a spelling mistake? Dude...

Ok, let's give this one last go...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picard-facepalm.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	169121

Also keep in mind that QNX is already available to car manufactures around the world. This is part of BlackBerry's long term strategy. The Android SDK is (or is about to be, can't remember) there for them to port apps for cars now. And the whole Mobile Computing thing can only lead to greater interaction between phone and car. Maybe we're even looking at BB10 for cars.

And like you said... Marketshare...
    Completely agree with you Diegonei. Well said.

The genius thing wasn't a shot at you. I just used it trying to poke fun of my idea not being genius at all.
    I honestly think giving a OS away for free is a horrible business model that is not sustainable. I think we are seeing evidence of that. Others are just ignoring it.

You definitely laid it out plain to see why it would be horrible for BB to do it. I also don't think its a good business model for any company.
    diegonei likes this.
    06-10-13 10:35 AM
    Completely agree with you Diegonei. Well said.

The genius thing wasn't a shot at you. I just used it trying to poke fun of my idea not being genius at all.
    I honestly think giving a OS away for free is a horrible business model that is not sustainable. I think we are seeing evidence of that. Others are just ignoring it.

You definitely laid it out plain to see why it would be horrible for BB to do it. I also don't think its a good business model for any company.
    Strategic Move-picard-thumbs-up.jpg

It was great conversation anyway. If you have more ideas, please keep on sharing them with the community!
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-10-13 at 03:42 PM.
    06-10-13 10:40 AM
    What the...sheesh.
    06-10-13 03:09 PM