My wife has an 8820 on BES thru her work.
    There is almost always a symbol on her homescreen that looks like a grey square w/ 2 holes in it. Almost reminds me of an old cassette tape but it's not the voicemail logo. I thought it might be a service book symbol but according to that symbol key/chart here on CB, that's not it either.
    Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks for any help - it doesn't bother her but it's driving me nuts
    06-22-10 10:55 AM
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

In this situation, it would help if you can take a screen capture and attach it to your post.

There are several utility programs that will do a screen capture, including:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/
    06-22-10 11:03 AM
    Yeah, I will have to snap a pic w/ my BB or camera and post tonight.
    Her 8820 is on BES and they are locked down pretty tight, can't download much of anything.
    06-22-10 12:04 PM
    If I remember correctly that was the symbol for Voicemail when I had my 8330, are you sure that's not it? Have you seen a different symbol for voicemail on that handset?
    06-22-10 12:11 PM
    Yeah, I will have to snap a pic w/ my BB or camera and post tonight.
    Her 8820 is on BES and they are locked down pretty tight, can't download much of anything.
    CrackUtil is downloaded on the PC. Then you plug the BB in using the USB cable, and you click on take screenshot in the window on the PC. This should work just fine, since nothing gets downloaded to the BB.
    06-22-10 12:14 PM
    If I remember correctly that was the symbol for Voicemail when I had my 8330, are you sure that's not it? Have you seen a different symbol for voicemail on that handset?
    Well, I guess it could be an older symbol for VM - they are running a 4.5 - 4.6 OS so it might be a different symbol than I'm used to seeing on all the 5.0 versions I've had. I will do some searches for older VM symbols and check it out. Thanks.

CrackUtil is downloaded on the PC. Then you plug the BB in using the USB cable, and you click on take screenshot in the window on the PC. This should work just fine, since nothing gets downloaded to the BB.
    ok, thanks for the info. Will give it a try if mystery isn't solved.
    06-22-10 12:44 PM
    The newest OS that the 8820 could be running would be a version of 4.5, which uses the old Dimension style icons. The voicemail icon for OS 4.5 looks like a little grey cassette tape, with the two black holes like you stated above.

The Precision icon set came out when OS 4.6 was released, and the VM icon was changed to what it is now on all devices running OS 4.6 - 5.0. That's why your VM icon looks different from her's.
    06-22-10 12:50 PM
    Great -thanks for the info. The more I thought about it, the more I thought you were probably right. I'm just not used to those icons since I've only ever had 4.6 and up. FWIW, I think the icon is buggy too because it's on there a lot and she almost never has VM's.
    Thanx again
    06-22-10 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD