Ok. Once and for all.

The GPS on Verizons Storm is UNLOCKED.

Assisted GPS on Verizons Storm is LOCKED to only VZnavigator on Verizons network. So if you are roaming in GSM or using a different SIM card aGPS should work.
    If you don't know what aGPS is look here Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The GPS works for 3rd party program EXCEPT Google Maps. This is a Google problem NOT a Verizon Problem. Google Maps tries to get location by aGPS and Verizon doesn't let that happen. Also Google Maps uses tower triangulation, In google maps you will see a Blue dot with a Lighter Blue area around it. That is not working GPS. There also may be other 3rd party applications that aren't made for the Storm yet and try to use GPS, these usually don't work with GPS. Like Berry411, But I don't think it ever worked right with GPS.

Also Before you complain about it not working make sure your have Location On for your GPS settings

options-> Advanced options -> GPS

Make sure GPS services is set to "Location ON" and Location Aiding is enabled
    Last edited by Flexia; 01-14-09 at 07:29 AM.
    01-14-09 07:12 AM
    I almost 100% agree with you

The aGPS cannot be completely locked out. Google Maps is accessing the cell tower triangulation aspect of aGPS, it's just not getting a GPS lock after that.

It's weird that it it doesn't work on other apps though.
    01-14-09 07:36 AM
    Welcome to about 2 months ago.

Anyway, as I understand it, Google just maintains a database of approximate cell tower locations, and that's what it uses when triangulating.

Kind of a shame Google doesn't seem interested in reworking Google Maps Mobile to go something like aGPS --> GPS --> Triangulation instead of aGPS --> Triangulation. And before the tinfoil hat brigade arrives, it very likely has NOTHING to do with Google losing out to Microsoft on that search deal.
    01-14-09 12:12 PM
    I've read that Vodaphone users don't have any issues with using the Storm GPS and Google maps. Also interesting is that if you turn off your Mobile Network connection, Google Maps will use the GPS and not triangulation
    01-14-09 12:49 PM
    I've read that Vodaphone users don't have any issues with using the Storm GPS and Google maps. Also interesting is that if you turn off your Mobile Network connection, Google Maps will use the GPS and not triangulation
    Seriously? Gotta try that.
    01-14-09 01:44 PM
    Yeah, i went in to Google Maps and loaded the map for where I currently was, then closed it out, went to options -> Mobile Network and changed it from 1xEV to GSM/UMTS, went back to Google Maps and gave it a few minutes and it first pulled up the cell tower triangulation then it switched to actual GPS and pinpointed me within 20 (yes, twenty) meters - no blue circle outline.
    01-14-09 01:48 PM
    That's the first interesting thing I've heard about the GPS
    01-14-09 01:58 PM
    Yeah, i went in to Google Maps and loaded the map for where I currently was, then closed it out, went to options -> Mobile Network and changed it from 1xEV to GSM/UMTS, went back to Google Maps and gave it a few minutes and it first pulled up the cell tower triangulation then it switched to actual GPS and pinpointed me within 20 (yes, twenty) meters - no blue circle outline.
    confirmed. will likely error out if cannot pull data for maps, but the GPS locks on.
    01-14-09 02:18 PM
    01-14-09 02:26 PM
    I posted my thoughts in that thread. Its both Verizon and google

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 02:36 PM
    I meant on my posts directly (check the link). It doesn't jive with some of the conclusions in these threads.
    01-14-09 02:44 PM
    This really works

verizon wireless in san diego, ca.. version .86, about 2 minutes after switching over to GSM, I got a real GPS coordinate on my map.

Simple workaround for now, but proof that THERE IS HOPE!!!!!!!!
    01-15-09 06:37 AM
    This really works

verizon wireless in san diego, ca.. version .86, about 2 minutes after switching over to GSM, I got a real GPS coordinate on my map.

Simple workaround for now, but proof that THERE IS HOPE!!!!!!!!
    It's always been known that you can simply switch over to gsm and it'll work. The problem is using it under evdo so that you can actually use the phone while being on googlemaps
    Last edited by zerog6; 01-15-09 at 10:18 AM.
    01-15-09 10:14 AM
    The GPS works perfectly fine with BlackBerry Maps... all you have to do is go into Advanced Options and enable "Location On" under GPS> GPS Services...
    01-15-09 10:19 AM
    It's always been known that you can simply switch over to gsm and it'll work. The problem is using it under evdo so that you can actually use the phone while being on googlemaps
    Maybe it's always been known to you, but this is the first I'm seeing of it with actual procedure to get it to work in the US. Thanks for the tips everyone!
    01-15-09 10:48 AM
    Google maps pegs me down to 3 meters on my 8900. On my buddies storm its 300 plus meters IIRC.
    01-15-09 11:08 AM
    Maybe it's always been known to you, but this is the first I'm seeing of it with actual procedure to get it to work in the US. Thanks for the tips everyone!
    Also, you don't even need to have a sim chip inside at all for it to work. I removed my verizon sim card a long time ago, and you can still switch the network to gsm and googlemaps will use the GPS
    01-15-09 01:48 PM
    Switching from 1xev to GSM works, but then you can't download maps.... close but no cigar.
    02-04-09 03:56 PM
    I almost 100% agree with you

The aGPS cannot be completely locked out. Google Maps is accessing the cell tower triangulation aspect of aGPS, it's just not getting a GPS lock after that.

It's weird that it it doesn't work on other apps though.
    Nope. Google does not triangulate. They simply give you the location of the cell tower you're attached to (blue dot on My Location Beta) and then the circle area is calculated based on your radio signal strength on the handset. If you actually look at the Event Log, you'll see where Google Maps tries to prequest aGPS info, but fails because it doesn't provide the correct PDE IP and Port info during the API call.

I've reported on this before in several other threads.
    02-04-09 04:49 PM
    I have been roaming with my Verizon Storm in Europe. When open BBMaps it would locate no problem. For Gmaps it would not happen unless BBMaps was open. So my guess is that somehow Gmaps is able to access but not able to "activate" the GPS. At least in Europe. I US this does not work.
    02-04-09 05:16 PM
    I have been roaming with my Verizon Storm in Europe. When open BBMaps it would locate no problem. For Gmaps it would not happen unless BBMaps was open. So my guess is that somehow Gmaps is able to access but not able to "activate" the GPS. At least in Europe. I US this does not work.
    If you're in pure GSM/UMTS mode, it'll work no problem.
    02-04-09 05:17 PM
    Nope. Google does not triangulate. They simply give you the location of the cell tower you're attached to (blue dot on My Location Beta) and then the circle area is calculated based on your radio signal strength on the handset. If you actually look at the Event Log, you'll see where Google Maps tries to prequest aGPS info, but fails because it doesn't provide the correct PDE IP and Port info during the API call.

I've reported on this before in several other threads.
    Civic is spot on. I've seen so many posts mistakenly refer to Google as triangulation, but it's not calculating via multiple towers. My Location beta just gives you the nearest tower. Triangulation would take into account multiple towers and theoretically give you better accuracy.
    02-04-09 05:39 PM
    Civic is spot on. I've seen so many posts mistakenly refer to Google as triangulation, but it's not calculating via multiple towers. My Location beta just gives you the nearest tower. Triangulation would take into account multiple towers and theoretically give you better accuracy.
    Thank you. Yeah, the issue though and why people make the mistake, is because the "How it works" video Google posted about My Location Beta damn sure indicates triangulation to some degree. False advertising at its best! I found out the true function of this a long time ago on my 8830. I actually tested it by driving around to as close to towers as possible and it was spot on in terms of which one it connected to and referenced. I even got it to flip back and forth between towers if I was right in between them at equal distances.
    02-04-09 05:43 PM
    That's right! Just like with everything else....there aren't versions for the Storm yet!

Meanwhile iPhone and those other ones enjoy the nice google maps feature and even that street view mode!

I don't care whether this is VZW or Google...someone should just fix it!

The one thing I like about the Iphone is that Apple managed to keep at&t from restricting the device to the carrier's configuration....everything is apple..

Imagine if the Storm were "everything RIM" instead of everything verizon? Verizon has a death grip around this phone trying to make us use their verizon navigator and etc...

I am almost about to make the switch...
    02-04-09 07:26 PM
    Thank you. Yeah, the issue though and why people make the mistake, is because the "How it works" video Google posted about My Location Beta damn sure indicates triangulation to some degree. False advertising at its best! I found out the true function of this a long time ago on my 8830. I actually tested it by driving around to as close to towers as possible and it was spot on in terms of which one it connected to and referenced. I even got it to flip back and forth between towers if I was right in between them at equal distances.
    Driving a car and staring at GMaps!? That's terrifying! Where do you live because I don't want to be the hapless pedestrian mowed down by you.
    Although, I'm totally guilty of that myself, especially when using the "show traffic" feature.

Anyway, BBmaps works great for me especially w/ GPS. my .02
    02-04-09 07:47 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD