Hi ev1... im quite new to CBF and i hope i can get some help...

recently got my hands on a Storm2 9550 from Verizon, and it was using a Rogers sim card in it. I purchased it thinking that since Fido is a subsidiary of the Rogers group of companies that my Fido sim would work. once i popped it in, it came up with a few problems. it is my hope that someone here might know how i can resolve the issue

the first one was a little red triangle next to the word FIDO on the top of the screen. the next was when i tried to make a call it sent me to Verizon Wireless Roaming Hotline.

for the hotline is the most bothersome as i had my phone set to GSM not CDMA (yes i called verizon had them confirm to me that they do not use GSM for any of their phones [apparently] and none of their phones can be unlocked to use on a gsm network [apparently as well]...)

all help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated!

THX EV1!
    07-03-11 06:44 PM
    The storm is a "world edition" device that supports both the CDMA and GSM networks... If you are trying to use it on a GSM network, you will need to have the device unlocked. This will enable the sim card / GSM radio to be used on a different carrier that the phone was originally locked to...

Once you have the device unlocked, you should be able to use any GSM carrier's sim card, that will support the device's GSM bands...

Rogers/Fido should work fine, but will only work in EDGE (2G) mode, as the 'world edition' devices will only have 3G coverage overseas.

This being said, it would not work on Telus's HSPA (3G)(GSM) network, as they do not offer EDGE/2G on their HSPA network. Telus does offer it on their CDMA network, however you won't be able to activate your device, as CDMA devices (and the CDMA portion of your device) cannot be unlocked, or migrated to another carrier...

Long story short, get the GSM portion unlocked, and then try your fido SIM. Try FreeMyBlackBerry.com, they can do it for free, and usually within 24h ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-11 07:10 AM
    I'm using a Verizon branded Bold 9650 on Rogers network in Vancouver. I have mine set to GSM/UMTS & 2G only because that's the only thing that would work. I was worried about not having the correct service books but so far there haven't been any issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-11 08:09 AM
    The storm is a "world edition" device that supports both the CDMA and GSM networks... If you are trying to use it on a GSM network, you will need to have the device unlocked. This will enable the sim card / GSM radio to be used on a different carrier that the phone was originally locked to...

Once you have the device unlocked, you should be able to use any GSM carrier's sim card, that will support the device's GSM bands...
    its unlocked from Verizon, hence y my friend was able to have a ROGERS simcard in it (it was my friends phone and he was a rogers customer). i put my fido sim into it and it directed me immediately to "Verizon Nat'l Roaming Hotline"... if i put my friends "no longer useful" rogers sim into the phone it will direct me to rogers as he owes them money.

any other ideas? ill keep trying as long as i can because i l;ike the Storm2 and dont want to get rid of it
    07-04-11 08:35 AM
    The Triangle may mean you are currently roaming with a Rogers signal. If that is the case, you should be able to use Phone and Text without any problems, or additional charges.

You will have to upgrade your FIDO plan to include BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). FIDO offers both a social and a full service plan for $15 or $30 per month.
    07-04-11 02:24 PM
    maybe you need to update service book...
    also set your phone...
    press ##000000 on your handset to see Verizon technician menu, you can change a few things there also such as phone number...
    puffykonez likes this.
    07-04-11 02:57 PM
    maybe you need to update service book...
    also set your phone...
    press ##000000 on your handset to see Verizon technician menu, you can change a few things there also such as phone number...
    it works now... thx 4 the service book update idea & setting adjustment...

also want to say thanx to the others for their helpful ideas as well, your amazing and quick to come up with suggestions to resolve issues and your all very friendly
    07-06-11 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD