Who said anything about "no wi-fi = no data plan" I sure as heck didnt..?

Verizon, and AT&T, however EVIL they may be.. their #1 mission in life is money. They will do this regardless if they mean to step on/over the consumer, or not. The only reason for them to expand/upgrade their network, is for future revenue. Plain and simple. Verizon is known to cripple their devices, cross ALL manufacturers, not just RIM. They want to squeeze the average consumer of every dollar, as does AT&T. They only play nice due to FCC regulations.
    well you're zak comment was very unclear as to what you were talking about...but at least you looked cool doing it

btw, security = / = crippling.
    customers asking for a consistent interfact across all their devices so they don't have to learn to use a new phone = / = crippling.

yeah, they did the vcast UI based on user feedback

and you're right, VZW is a business, but the money goes back into their network, so the money they make is invested into the network that the customers rely on, and training customer service reps. seems like a pretty sound business practice to me. both network and C/S are ranked every quarter...

its like a major league baseball team focusing on player development in the minor leagues. the yankees stopped doing that, and look where they've been....not ranked very high, that's for sure.

sorry if anyone reading this is a yankee's fan, blame the front office and ownership...

anyway, you're correct. basically, but you came to the correct conclusions with an inaccurate thought process...you get partial credit.
    yes, its like math class...
    05-12-09 11:53 PM
    Security? Is that the reason that Verizon crippled the GPS in all the Blackberrys prior to the Storm?

A single UI was requested as user feedback? I call shenanigans on that one. They did that, so they could train the people in the call center easier and pay them less.

Less different OS/Hardware they have to know about, the less Verizon has to pay them because is's easy to train someone on 1 OS across 30 devices vs 30 OS's across 30 devices.

To me, it seems like Verizon is always playing catchup in regards to technology and devices.. A carrier gets a device, and Verizon has to beat, match, or in their case, come in as one of the last people sliding to home.

I do hope Verizon's LTE network shines.. I just hope they follow FCC regulations due to the type of 700mhz block they purchased.. Anyone a betting person?
    05-13-09 12:02 AM
    if bigman has contributed anything to this site, it is teaching me the multi-quote response technique...

Security? Is that the reason that Verizon crippled the GPS in all the Blackberrys prior to the Storm?
    security is why the apps were not given access to GPS, they could not get approved by network certification to be allowed to run on the devices. everything gets tested, they test all kinds of crap up there at the lab...the GPS is "unlocked" but the software people are downloading aren't capable of meeting the requirements that testing has set forth. the google maps that we use on the storm is the 1st one that passed, hence why we can use it...at first it didn't work, remember? that changed after awhile...so the software development teams need to get on the ball and write some stuff that can get approved for network access.

A single UI was requested as user feedback? I call shenanigans on that one. They did that, so they could train the people in the call center easier and pay them less.
    customers are given random surveys, either in call backs or letters, on the internet, etc...one of the things that people gave in feedback was having to learn how to use a new phone every 20 months...and it kept a lot of people from upgrading. i've taken calls from users who's phone finally took a crap, and they wanted help getting it replaced, not eligible for warantee anymore, educated them on the $50 out of warantee fee, and i'd advise them they were eligible for an upgrade and they could get a new phone for free vs. a used phone for $50. the response is "but i'd have to learn how to use it all over again, i'd rather just have my old phone again". so the company took action based on feedback. that is the honest truth. at first i thought it was so that they could develop software and games to bridge between different hardware, but the OS is different, the UI is what is common amongst the devices.

Less different OS/Hardware they have to know about, the less Verizon has to pay them because is's easy to train someone on 1 OS across 30 devices vs 30 OS's across 30 devices.
    the training is this: C/S rep john smith, can you read? "yes" okay, here is a handout on a new device emulator to use for walking customers through changing settings/troubleshooting/etc. you have 15 mins off the phones to go over it, and then take this 5 question test "okay"....seriously, thats usually it, maybe you'll get an hour training on powerpoint or video. but the "desk drops" are pretty common.

To me, it seems like Verizon is always playing catchup in regards to technology and devices.. A carrier gets a device, and Verizon has to beat, match, or in their case, come in as one of the last people sliding to home.
    well, generally the devices are made for GSM carriers, there are more of them, so bigger opportunity to sell to users. also, consider the testing process. lots of phones get turned away a few times in testing. very few have no issues. a combination of the two scenarios is really bad, and could hold stuff up for a really long time.

I do hope Verizon's LTE network shines.. I just hope they follow FCC regulations due to the type of 700mhz block they purchased.. Anyone a betting person?
    i hope so too, but i spent all my money buying guitars and fancy clothes
    05-13-09 12:16 AM
    i hope so too, but i spent all my money buying guitars and fancy clothes
    So this at least confirms you work for Verizon.. as I DO know they pay some of their employee's well..
    05-13-09 12:23 AM
    So this at least confirms you work for Verizon.. as I DO know they pay some of their employee's well..
    actually i quit in august, that was the last of my student loans...i got rid of my car so didn't need gas money or insurance anymore...so now i'm gonna get fitted and ROCK OUT WITH MY....blackberry storm
    05-13-09 12:26 AM
    Yes, I suspect it will...and I know the storm2 will have wifi, but that is a long ways off, and will likely be a completely different phone.
    yep that's what i say
    05-13-09 03:49 AM
    The 9500, a GSM(EDGE) and 3G device(I think it's 3G?), was once rumored to have it, but it's been debunked awhile ago.

The reason the 9530 doesn't have wifi, is because of Verizon, 100%, no ifs, ands or buts... They cripple their phones if you haven't noticed.

Now, I imagine the reason because the 9500 doesn't, is because Vodafone and Verizon are joint partners with Verizon controlling the "majority", 55% of the venture.
    If there were a CDMA carrier, somewhere, anywhere in this world with a WiFi equipped BlackBerry in its offering, I'd agree.

However, this article was posted last year here on CB:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/rim...haptics-82323/

We know the 9520 which is supposed to come out sometime 1H09 in Canada will have WiFi (but, then I think every xx20 BB has it anyway). The rumor mill is saying that the "Storm 2" will have it...I'm not holding my breath.

LTE is close enough in industry forecasts that WiFi is understandably not a priority for VZW. Can't say I blame them.
    05-13-09 06:43 AM
    I dont believe that there "wasnt enough room"

Had they used an ARM processor, it would of been included ON the chip due to the SoC design of ARM.
    05-13-09 09:41 AM
    I dont believe that there "wasnt enough room"

Had they used an ARM processor, it would of been included ON the chip due to the SoC design of ARM.

i think the storm is a frankenstein....

little bits and pieces of left over hopes and dreams. pieces never meant to be used together in combination. put into production and brought back to life. and then it saw fire and freaked out...
    05-13-09 11:02 AM
    Hey Patches, off-topic question here.
    How do you multi-quote in a response?
    05-13-09 11:32 AM
    PM with response
    05-13-09 11:38 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD