Ok, I know the storm doesn't have wifi...but has anyone noticed on the main crackberry page, second or third story down, there is a photo of a storm with the wifi logo in the corner right below the EDGE and signal strength indicators. Makes one wonder whether they're photoshopping, or perhaps accidentally revealed something. photo attached.
    05-12-09 06:22 PM
    The 9500, a GSM(EDGE) and 3G device(I think it's 3G?), was once rumored to have it, but it's been debunked awhile ago.

The reason the 9530 doesn't have wifi, is because of Verizon, 100%, no ifs, ands or buts... They cripple their phones if you haven't noticed.

Now, I imagine the reason because the 9500 doesn't, is because Vodafone and Verizon are joint partners with Verizon controlling the "majority", 55% of the venture.
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-12-09 at 06:32 PM.
    05-12-09 06:29 PM
    Your reading too much into it. It is a simulator image.
    05-12-09 06:30 PM
    haha, I know it is...but I very much enjoy "stirring the pot."
    05-12-09 06:32 PM
    The 9500, a GSM(EDGE) and 3G device, was once rumored to have it, but it's been debunked awhile ago.

The reason the 9530 doesn't have wifi, is because of Verizon, 100%, no ifs, ands or buts...

Now, I imagine the reason because the 9500 doesn't, is because Vodafone and Verizon are joint partners with Verizon controlling the "majority", 55% of the venture.
    And what about Bell and Telus? This is probably one of the most annoying statements in these blackberry forums. Find a CDMA berry with WiFi.
    05-12-09 06:34 PM
    The 9520 will have wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 06:38 PM
    The 9520 will have wifi.

Yes, I suspect it will...and I know the storm2 will have wifi, but that is a long ways off, and will likely be a completely different phone.
    05-12-09 06:44 PM
    the simulator screens/plazmic theme creator screens include the icon, its always there.
    05-12-09 06:48 PM
    And what about Bell and Telus? This is probably one of the most annoying statements in these blackberry forums. Find a CDMA berry with WiFi.
    Not to mention that Verizon would have absolutely no reason to remove WiFi from a BlackBerry, seeing as users are required to pay for data anyways. If anything, WiFi would lessen the strain on the network.
    05-12-09 06:49 PM
    The 9520 will have wifi.

The 9520 will not be CDMA either so I stick to my argument.

Not to mention that Verizon would have absolutely no reason to remove WiFi from a BlackBerry, seeing as users are required to pay for data anyways. If anything, WiFi would lessen the strain on the network.
    I agree whole heartedly. Not to mention the fact that most of the WinMO phones have WiFi built into them on this great network that everyone likes to blame for the lack of WiFi.
    05-12-09 07:13 PM
    CDMA carriers very rarely use wi-fi on their devices...idk why. there has to be a reason for doing this besides "zomfg TEH vZW cRIPPlzzzz their fonez!!!"""
    05-12-09 07:20 PM
    CDMA carriers very rarely use wi-fi on their devices...idk why. there has to be a reason for doing this besides "zomfg TEH vZW cRIPPlzzzz their fonez!!!"""
    because our network actually works? :P Sorry, i saw an opportunity for a cheapshot.
    05-12-09 07:36 PM
    good call acid, pwn them n00b fanboi haterz!!!
    05-12-09 07:40 PM
    good call acid, pwn them n00b fanboi haterz!!!
    Man I am glad that patches is back.
    05-12-09 07:43 PM
    lmfao!!!

too many people are serious. btw every time i see ur avatar, i think you're laughing at one of my stupid jokes!!!!
    05-12-09 07:45 PM
    This is kind of the same principle that Blizzard uses with patching. The default patching settings use peer to peer torrenting, that way any content downloads/patches don't bog down their network, but leverages user network resources. Kind of a genius technology decision.

So I agree.
    05-12-09 07:54 PM
    This is kind of the same principle that Blizzard uses with patching. The default patching settings use peer to peer torrenting, that way any content downloads/patches don't bog down their network, but leverages user network resources. Kind of a genius technology decision.

So I agree.
    you rang???
    05-12-09 07:56 PM
    9520 is supposedly scrapped. Makes sense, since the Storm 2 will be out soon after. Also, that pic was a simulator image. Storm isnt capable of wifi.
    05-12-09 08:08 PM
    because our network actually works? :P Sorry, i saw an opportunity for a cheapshot.
    I am sorry, but I have to seriously disagree with you. I will only pick up 1XEV if my Verizon signal drops low enough for me to jump off network at which time I will pick up EVDO but only untill my storm picks up Verizon's network again then back to the slow crawl (typicaly 17 to 30 kbps) of 1X. Maby one day probably after all other networks are running 5 or 6G Verizon will setup a high speed network where I live.

Side note, they seem to have no problem advertising there 3G network on there store front and bilboards all over town.

Sorry for the rant it's just a raw spot for me.
    05-12-09 08:37 PM
    jerrodab, nobody said there aren't dead spots. the "network" claims are based on a general report of all of their coverage. your spot might be weak/nonexistant...you'd be suprised how much of a difference a wall makes, or facing a certain direction...etc.

call C/S and file a trouble ticket if you haven't already.
    05-12-09 08:56 PM
    Of course.. you are referring to WINDOWS MOBILE only devices, right? Not a single Blackberry.. There's been many Windows Mobile CDMA devices, I would know.. I ran about 6 of them as my production device. The fact of the matter is that Verizon, for some reason, does NOT (at least currently) want their CDMA Blackberry's to have WIFI.. Big Red doesn't like the idea of giving money away for free..
    05-12-09 11:24 PM
    Of course.. you are referring to WINDOWS MOBILE only devices, right? Not a single Blackberry.. There's been many Windows Mobile CDMA devices, I would know.. I ran about 6 of them as my production device. The fact of the matter is that Verizon, for some reason, does NOT (at least currently) want their CDMA Blackberry's to have WIFI.. Big Red doesn't like the idea of giving money away for free..
    are you implying that if VZW approved hardware with wi-fi that they would change their policy on BB data plans also?

btw, the BB data plan is a requirement, RIM included it as part of the contract agreement between RIM/VZW...so maybe that'll help you with your answer. consider it a cheat sheet.
    05-12-09 11:28 PM
    You have the ed zachary disease... because you know ed zachary wut i talk about.

BTW, explain the Storm 2 which is *cough* "rumored" to have WIFI.
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-12-09 at 11:37 PM.
    05-12-09 11:31 PM
    i honestly have no idea where you would come up with an assumption like "wi-fi = no data plan" with VZW. what are you basing this theory on? what precident of lately are you using?
    05-12-09 11:34 PM
    Who said anything about "no wi-fi = no data plan" I sure as heck didnt..?

Verizon, and AT&T, however EVIL they may be.. their #1 mission in life is money. They will do this regardless if they mean to step on/over the consumer, or not. The only reason for them to expand/upgrade their network, is for future revenue. Plain and simple. Verizon is known to cripple their devices, cross ALL manufacturers, not just RIM. They want to squeeze the average consumer of every dollar, as does AT&T. They only play nice due to FCC regulations.
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-12-09 at 11:46 PM.
    05-12-09 11:42 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD