In the process of comparing the Storm with HTC phones (TMobile), and have some questions.

What OS does the Storm run? Is a proprietary RIM OS? If so, I don't like that as I've run Linux exclusively on all my computers for 11 years, and closed systems are anathema.

Does internet work yet on the TMobile Storm? Email?

What about the GPS? I guess it's built in, but is it for-real GPS, or is it cheapo tower triangulation?

How does the GPS system work? How possible/likely is it that TMobile (or others) can track my whereabouts?

Is the Storm a pseudo-PDA, like the iPhone? Definitely need some business apps.
    05-23-09 12:57 PM
    1. Proprietary RIM OS
    2. Yes, you can browse internet and receive email on the Storm if you purchase the data service
    3. tower triangulation, like every other cell phone that I know of
    4. Big Brother is ALWAYS watching
    05-23-09 01:03 PM
    2. Internet had not been working with the TMobile hack. Has this changed?
    3. HTC phones have a GPS antenna. (Diamond2, Max 4G)
    4. HTC can run TomTom & other GPS apps locally only, not transmissable to others. Only law enforcement should be able to tower-triangulate with a warrant.
    05-23-09 02:01 PM
    Storm supports actual GPS NOT just tower triangulation.
    05-23-09 02:13 PM
    Pffff
    Now I don't know what to believe... and my other questions seem unanswerable.

And they've mis-spelled "Stoem" in the title of this forum. Lackidasical.
    05-23-09 02:32 PM
    what is the end result you're looking for?

what do you want to be able to do with the OS that a proprietary OS won't allow you to do?

blackberries ARE email, if you unlock and use on Tmobile you're gonna get EDGE speeds, which are sloooooowwwwww....EVDO is way faster (your location will determine how much faster)

storm has aGPS, so it uses both towers AND GPS. what do you want to use it for? google maps or something else?

the blackberry platform is built on business needs, so lots of business apps, but we need to know what you have in mind to answer your questions.
    05-23-09 02:41 PM
    In the process of comparing the Storm with HTC phones (TMobile), and have some questions.

What OS does the Storm run? Is a proprietary RIM OS? If so, I don't like that as I've run Linux exclusively on all my computers for 11 years, and closed systems are anathema.

Does internet work yet on the TMobile Storm? Email?

What about the GPS? I guess it's built in, but is it for-real GPS, or is it cheapo tower triangulation?

How does the GPS system work? How possible/likely is it that TMobile (or others) can track my whereabouts?

Is the Storm a pseudo-PDA, like the iPhone? Definitely need some business apps.
    1. What cell phone doesn't run a proprietary OS?
    2. Yes
    3. The Storm has a built in GPS receiver. It is a cell phone so yes you can be tracked to a certain extent.
    4. The Storm is a Blackberry which should answer your last question.
    05-23-09 02:42 PM
    what do you want to be able to do with the OS that a proprietary OS won't allow you to do?
    storm has aGPS, so it uses both towers AND GPS. what do you want to use it for? google maps or something else?
    Well Ideally I'd like to run Opie (handheld Linux), as it is open-source with many apps available, however there is no GPS app for Opie.

So second-best is TomTom. I've used TomTom in an HP 4700 for 4 years, and it is superb. It runs only locally, so my business is my business. Only runs on Winduhs though.

I can't do with any app that uses the tower to get maps, triangulate, or anything else. I just do not want that.

I never use Google for anything, owing to their atrocious privacy policies. Clusty is a better search engine anyway.
    05-23-09 03:04 PM
    the blackberry platform is built on business needs, so lots of business apps, but we need to know what you have in mind to answer your questions.
    All I can say is I want as broad a business app base as possible, as I don't know what I'd use it for. That's the best way I can say it. I have a Razr now, so can't even use SMS effectively.
    05-23-09 03:05 PM
    blackberries ARE email, if you unlock and use on Tmobile you're gonna get EDGE speeds, which are sloooooow....EVDO is way faster (your location will determine how much faster)
    Seattle.

But I've found that the HTC Max 4G can do WiMax, which will be coming to Seattle this year. I already use Clearwire, so my data service would not have additional cost. Also there's the potential of using WiMax for VOIP instead of using GSM, which would reduce minutes used.
    05-23-09 03:06 PM
    well i use VZW, so i can't speak to GSM experience with the storm. but the CDMA coverage in seattle is quite good.

as far as winmo, i'd only suggest it if there is a particular need to have some winmo exclusive apps...other than that blackberries will run laps around any winmo device that is on the market currently.

if you're planning on using GSM coverage with T-Mobile, i'd suggest you research the 9500, since its exclusively GSM, the software will be optimized to use that network. the 9530 users have complained a lot about radio issues with newer storm software...so the phone is slow and gets coverage or it's what you would expect from a blackberry and poor signal strength.

and storm doesn't have wimax so you'd be looking a different direction than the storm if you're looking forward to using that.

i, personally, choose the network first, then find a device that is suitable. so for now VZW has the coverage and data speeds i need, and customer service when i need it (rarely, i used to work for 'em and can accomplish 99% of the things on my own through their self serve options)

the storm is coming into its own with the newer software builds. i'm a believer that the storm was released early, and the .148 revision of the OS is as close to what it should have launched with as we've seen without making some hybrid software.
    05-23-09 03:21 PM
    i, personally, choose the network first, then find a device that is suitable. so for now VZW has the coverage and data speeds i need, and customer service when i need it (rarely, i used to work for 'em and can accomplish 99% of the things on my own through their self serve options)
    I choose the network first too.

Many don't know this, but AT&T and Verizon were the two wireless carriers who allowed Echelon/Carnivore servers in their central POPs, to sweep all customer voice and data communications for keywords. This is atrocious violation of privacy, and is unConstitutional. Quest and TMobile recognize this. There is no other option, AFAIC.
    05-23-09 04:03 PM
    idk what you're talking about with the servers sweeping data....i've never heard that before. any documentation or reports you can provide to substantiate this?

i googled keywords in your post and found conflicting info, but nothing in the form of a VZW newsletter or press release (and i'm registered for the VZW press access portion of the site, so i would have gotten an email indicating a new story, etc)

anyway, in my experience VZW has been on the leading edge of protecting cutomer info, so this suprises me.
    05-23-09 04:39 PM
    LOL, guys don't keep feeding the troll.

He's afraid of both MS and Google, so let's let him go back to his cabin and get back to his serious "business".

;-)
    05-23-09 04:56 PM
    i wouldn't say "troll"....just skeptical
    05-23-09 05:03 PM
    i wouldn't say "troll"....just skeptical
    I don't know, maybe not just skeptical, but sinister. I have no problem with the Government listening for keyword in my boring conversations. Hey Patches, maybe your helping a terrorist
    05-23-09 05:20 PM
    patches aren't compatible with terrorist technology. there is a government safeguard embedded in them.

and i'm an equal opportunity harasser...i harass everyone equally
    05-23-09 05:26 PM
    idk what you're talking about with the servers sweeping data....i've never heard that before. any documentation or reports you can provide to substantiate this?
    You're not going to find Verizon admitting this, as it was illegal until a law was passed late last year giving Big Telecom a pass, and is still a massive unConstitutional encroachment on our civil rights. I keep trying to post links here, but the forum won't let me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echelon_(signals_intelligence)
    epic.org/privacy/carnivore/foia_documents.html

I'm just trying to tell you...
    If you can't understand the meaning of this to our culture and society, there's no sense discussing it further.

And as to your friends here, it appears they haven't hit puberty yet. Clueless imbeciles. They look like sweet cherry pie to me.
    Last edited by Quantumstate; 05-23-09 at 05:53 PM.
    05-23-09 05:49 PM
    neither of those reports state anything about VZW...sounds like another consipracy theory to me...

besides, none of us have anything that important to hide. i know i don't. if they wanna listen to me talk about bowel movements and video games, let 'em. i'll invite them! lmao!
    05-23-09 05:54 PM
    If you do a little more research you'll find it. But of course you don't want to. Suit yourself, but you have no idea.

I am not here to sell you on anything.
    05-23-09 06:13 PM

And as to your friends here, it appears they haven't hit puberty yet. Clueless imbeciles. They look like sweet cherry pie to me.
    I don't know about the others, but I'm about 30 years out from puberty. And you are the most arrogant a$$ I've read on this board, which is saying a lot on the Storm forum. You must be a very lonely, cranky old man with the likes of Burgermeister Meisterburger.
    05-23-09 06:30 PM
    ohh, the big bad boogey man is watching me. Lets go down into the bunker and wrap ourselves in tin foil. Sweet Cherry pie, I don't get it. Do you want to eat me?
    05-23-09 07:11 PM
    I don't know about the others, but I'm about 30 years out from puberty. And you are the most arrogant a$$ I've read on this board, which is saying a lot on the Storm forum. You must be a very lonely, cranky old man with the likes of Burgermeister Meisterburger.
    Nice reference to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" (1970 Rankin / Bass)

Normally I don't get involved in politically charged posts, (you know the two things your never supposed to discuss politics and religion) but I agree the OP is VERY arrogant and self-righteous on the subject.

As for whole discussion on Big Brother, I happen to agree that warrentless wire taps are an egregious violation of our rights. I do not have anything to hide from them either, but I am reminded of Ben Franklin's quote "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

To OP, I'm not going to try and sway your way of thinking, I will respect your opinion, and your right to it, and would hope you would show the same courtesy to me (and others on the forums). Name calling, and insults are never a good choice (unless you are Patches J/K man)
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 05-23-09 at 07:45 PM.
    05-23-09 07:43 PM
    Nice reference to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" (1970 Rankin / Bass)

Normally I don't get involved in politically charged posts, (you know the two things your never supposed to discuss politics and religion) but I agree the OP is VERY arrogant and self-righteous on the subject.

As for whole discussion on Big Brother, I happen to agree that warrentless wire taps are an egregious violation of our rights. I do not have anything to hide from them either, but I am reminded of Ben Franklin's quote "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

To OP, I'm not going to try and sway your way of thinking, I will respect your opinion, and your right to it, and would hope you would show the same courtesy to me (and others on the forums). Name calling, and insults are never a good choice (unless you are Patches J/K man)
    Excellent point and I agree with you. I just let the tone of the OP get the best of me and I fell into his trap. I shall now rise above and post no more on this thread.
    05-23-09 07:50 PM
    Quantumstate

I'd say your best bet is tin foil. It has to cover all the interior walls of your house and when moving outdoors it must entirely encase your cranium.

ROTFLMFAO
    05-23-09 07:51 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD