Does the Storm actually use GPS technology IE: Does it actually receive satellite signals, or does it "imitate" GPS by triangulating cell towers for a fix?

Also, I am using VZ Navigator, and it works very well; I have always wanted to get a GPS for my car but never have so when I got my new Storm I included the VZ Nav program. Well then I DL google maps which seems to be pretty dang close to the VZ Navigator and then found the Nav4all.............Are either of these as good as VZ navigator? I do like that the VZ Navigator speaks the street names that you are suppose to turn on instead of just saying "Turn right".

Thanks.
    01-24-09 10:48 PM
    Yes, the Storm has a functioning internal GPS and is actually receiving satellite signals. You might want to compare the Garmin GPS app to VZNav. It has a free trial. I'm using it.
    01-24-09 10:54 PM
    Yes the Storm has true satellite GPS, BB Maps and VZW Nav use this along with 3rd party apps such one by Garmin. It also has the ability to do approximate location by triangulation which is what Google Maps currently uses.

Seems like JeffH beat me to the punch.
    Last edited by BlackObsidian; 01-24-09 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Late as usual
    01-24-09 10:58 PM
    It depends on the app, but it should actually be doing both. There's aGPS, which uses nearby cell towers to help get a GPS fix faster, and then there's the full on GPS.

Some apps, most notably Google Apps (and it's been discussed to death already, so do a search if interested in the details) need to be updated before they will work with the Storm's GPS. Others will work just fine.

Ultimately though, for the price VZW charges for VZ Navigator, you could probably just buy a standalone GPS unit to put in your car. I don't know what Garmin charges for their mobile version, but I imagine you could get a dedicated bit of hardware for roughly the same price.
    01-24-09 11:01 PM
    Don't forget to mention that VZ Navigator is Traffic Enhanced. I love this feature. I do not know if the Garmin app or a standalone Garmin does traffic. Anybody have experience with both and can compare them ?

Doctor Neutron
    01-24-09 11:18 PM
    garmin does traffic
    01-24-09 11:42 PM
    i would like to add to your inquiry regarding the storms gps.

i wonder if turning it to 911 only really saves any battery.

many people including myself keep it set to e911 only, thinking this will keep battery usage down.

but does it really?

it still needs to be receiving gps signals for e911, and i doubt it turns on when you dial 911, because that would cause a delay of up to several minutes.

so isnt it possible that the battery usage is just the same?

also what does "location aiding" setting do? is this using the cell data to get a faster fix?? i assume this is why there is a "disabled while roaming" setting?

anyone chime on this?
    01-24-09 11:48 PM
    Don't forget to mention that VZ Navigator is Traffic Enhanced. I love this feature. I do not know if the Garmin app or a standalone Garmin does traffic. Anybody have experience with both and can compare them ?

Doctor Neutron
    STOP trying to sell people on VZNavigator you VZW propaganda pusher.
    01-25-09 12:17 AM
    Ultimately though, for the price VZW charges for VZ Navigator, you could probably just buy a standalone GPS unit to put in your car. I don't know what Garmin charges for their mobile version, but I imagine you could get a dedicated bit of hardware for roughly the same price.
    The Garmin is $99 one time only, no recurring fee. However if you are a Blackberry Lounge member there is supposed to be a 20% discount available. There is also a free trial. At that price you'd be hard pressed to find a standalone unit with the same features. Unless of course you are going for the 5-fingered discount.
    01-25-09 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD