I have a Blackberry Storm with Telus and my GPS will not work with Blackberry Maps.

I was hoping someone would have some information to help resolve this problem.

Here is some background information:

- Yes, I have Location ON (not just E911)
    - Yes, I have "Location Aiding" on
    - I have tried using it both outside and near a window while indoors.
    - When I try to "Start GPS Navigation" it keeps saying "Searching for satellite" but nothing is ever found... (20 min of waiting)
    - I also try find location -> Where I Am...and same result, times out after searching for 20min
    - I have tried all sorts of resets
    - I tried uninstalling BB Maps and re-installing
    - I have called Telus tech support, but they will not help as BB Maps is not supported by them. (they only support "Telus Navigator" subscription service)

Your expertise is much appreciated!
    Last edited by applejuice1; 12-14-08 at 11:43 PM.
    12-14-08 11:17 PM
    When I enter Maps, there is a little satellite icon in the lower left hand corner. Touching it, it says "Start GPS Navigation". I push it and it takes a second, but acquisition comes quickly.

Pushing the Blackberry key also brings up a "Start GPS Navigation" prompt as well.

Not sure what to tell you.
    12-14-08 11:31 PM
    When I enter Maps, there is a little satellite icon in the lower left hand corner. Touching it, it says "Start GPS Navigation". I push it and it takes a second, but acquisition comes quickly.

Pushing the Blackberry key also brings up a "Start GPS Navigation" prompt as well.

Not sure what to tell you.
    Thanks for the reply, I done both. I had BB Maps with GPS on my Pearl 8130, so I am familiar with the program.

I just keeps saying "searching for satellite" with no success and eventually times out and gives up. I'll edit my OP to note this as well.
    12-14-08 11:41 PM
    Does Telus Navigator work?
    12-14-08 11:41 PM
    lol wait...
    12-14-08 11:42 PM
    what is the difference between having e911 on and location aiding on?
    12-14-08 11:44 PM
    lol wait...
    I do and it times out with no success after several minuites.

Does Telus Navigator work?
    Telus Navigator is not even officially compatible with the Storm yet...so it's strange that they even say they support that only.
    12-14-08 11:46 PM
    I have the same exact problem on Telus...what do we do about this?
    12-15-08 08:12 PM
    do any of you have an old version of weatherbug installed???
    just asking because the main issue with these is that it interfered with the GPS and BB maps.
    12-15-08 08:36 PM
    no weatherbug...

I was on the phone with Telus and they mentioned that it was a known issue that they are working with RIM to resolve.

They did not offer me a new handheld by mail, rather I have to wait until January to get it exchanged in store...

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the OS, and that solved nothing.

It was working the day before yesterday, and today for like 5 minutes, but now it cannot get a gps fix even in an open field.
    12-15-08 08:46 PM
    I'm on Verizon and they only allow the built in GPS to work with their VZ navigator program. On my Curve and Treo's I used a Freedom wireless Blue tooth GPS receiver and ran live search. And I used the BB maps using the BT GPS, i can't make it work on the storm. The storm will not "connect" to the GPS.
    12-15-08 08:49 PM
    I have had my new storm now for a week from Telus. So far it has no gps and no telus navigator. It can not stream video through orb or youtube. Sending an email is a chore with the keyboard. I think I have a very expensive paper weight.
    01-01-09 11:12 PM
    I'm on Verizon and they only allow the built in GPS to work with their VZ navigator program. .
    that is not true.
    I'm on verizon and I have deleted VZ Navigator.
    Built-in GPS feature is unlocked on Verizon and works fine wih BB maps.
    you must have some kind of hardware problem.
    01-01-09 11:24 PM
    I'm on Telus, in the greater Vancouver area and I have no trouble with the gps and bb maps.
    I just aquired 10 sats while standing inside my back door. Took all of 20 seconds.
    I have no idea what the problem might be but I doubt it's Telus.
    01-02-09 12:13 AM
    that is not true.
    I'm on verizon and I have deleted VZ Navigator.
    Built-in GPS feature is unlocked on Verizon and works fine wih BB maps.
    you must have some kind of hardware problem.
    I agree. The Storm GPS works fine on BB Maps.
    01-02-09 12:21 AM
    your gps could actually be broken. you may need a replacement unit.

its not impossible.
    01-02-09 12:26 AM
    If you are having the problem at this point after all the troubleshooting.

Its time for a JM_Cinder wipe and a OS reload, painful yes, but if the problem isn't solved then you should call RIM

Perhaps Telus is blocking data to the BB Maps? I don't know, never had them. Any Telus people have Maps working at all?
    01-02-09 01:01 AM
    I'm with Telus as well. . . my first STORM worked with BBmaps. . .the GPS connected properly within seconds to about 8-10 satallites. Unfortunately I had to get a replacement STORM due to the bad screen clicking issue. On my second STORM, the screen was great but the GPS isn't connecting at all and won't work with BBmaps. This is really frustrating as it's almost like the luck of the draw with these STORMS. You one thing working and another thing doesn't.

Yes, I've done my research. . .I've checked all my settings and I was using the same OS .76 that Telus initially installed on both units. Why would it work fine in one unit and not the other?????? Please help.
    01-08-09 11:49 PM
    I have had my new storm now for a week from Telus. So far it has no gps and no telus navigator. It can not stream video through orb or youtube. Sending an email is a chore with the keyboard. I think I have a very expensive paper weight.
    You've had it for a week and expect to type like a pro?
    01-09-09 12:34 AM
    Having the same issue, Verizon, Storm,v 7.0.75, not able to find satellites, outside have GPS turned on, (GPS data source device gps, gps services location on, location aiding enabled, but searches and can not find location. VZ navigator removed, and bb maps, garmin
    Mobile( purchased not trial), and NAv4all all unable to find satellites or location. Any suggestions is this a software issue, or a bad chip in this storm? VZ navigator worked, before i uninstalled this program. This makes me think it may be a software issue, or by removing the vz navigator program something was turned off? ? Do you have to pay for VZ navigator if it is installed but not used? Any suggestions Thanks
    01-11-09 07:01 PM
    This is straight from a Telus Tech:

Google maps uses a common IP port to access the gps on our system. We block this application in order to push subscriptions to Telus Navigator. Other third party apps aren't blocked because they use multiple IP ports to access the GPS. Bell users even though they share our network can access Google Maps because the network Port and IP has been allowed. It is unlikely that this will change with out multiple complaints so feel free to notify everyone to call or email tech support requesting access to Google Maps GPS.

If you complain here we may be able to stop this control of our devices:
    http /about.telus.com/cgi-bin/tcontactus.cgi
    ** Send complaints here **

Also he confirmed the new Network launch for mid October early November and the ability to purchase unlocked phones for use on telus once you receive your SIM card.

In case you were interested
    07-24-09 11:55 AM
    Telus Navigator Sucks. When I'm in Western Canada it always says I'm in Dallas TX. and that is only when it works. 99% of the time it won't open. Just get error codes. I've called Telus 8 times about it. The google maps and black berry maps work fine. I have a storm 2 9550.
    04-14-10 11:20 AM
    I'm having the same GPS issue with my Verizon Storm. GPS works fine for updating my Berry Weather application but cannot obtain a satellite lock on BB Maps or Google Maps.
    04-14-10 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD