View Poll Results: Which is best for me?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bold

32 68.09%
  • Storm

15 31.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Basically, I've got 2 choices here.
    Blackberry STORM vs Blackberry Bold.

Why blackberry?
    Because I find it handy to be signed in to msn/yahoo messenger/skype/google talk 24/7 most of the time and are able to check internet any time I want.

Unless there is another phone of course that can do the function.
    (I don't want iPhone 3G or HTC HD because I don't like the idea of always having to steal wireless to surf the net)

But for blackberry its a different technology right? I mean, you can surf the net WITHOUT the wifi thingy? That's what enables you to be signed in to those things for 24/7? But of course, you need to subscribe, that's another matter~

But here's what I don't get;
    Reading this
    h t t p : / / w w w . electricpig.co.uk/2008/11/12/stat-clash-blackberry-storm-vs-blackberry-bold-vs-blackberry-pearl-flip/

It says;
    Net speed
    Emails aside, internet surfing is a useful tool on any CrackBerry. The Storm should have the edge here: a big old touchscreen and HSDPA ought to satisfy anyone, but it also suffers from one crippling absence. Where’s the WiFi? The Bold is the only one with HSDPA and WiFi, letting you avoid those pesky data limits when you’re in a hotspot.
    Winner: BlackBerry Bold

My comment;
    Do you NEED the wifi in order to still surf the internet???
    Or is that just to boost the netspeed?
    Because if you NEED the wifi for the internet, that goes back to square one >_<
    I really need to make decision quick too
    Last edited by Stalvros; 05-02-09 at 03:57 PM.
    05-02-09 02:25 PM
    I can speak to the Wifi issues.

Wifi is built into some models to enable Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). UMA is usually used to compensate for inadequate carrier signal strength. There are some performance reasons too, UMA is much faster for Browsing.

All BlackBerry use the carrier network to access BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). In addition to the normal email service, BIS allows you to Browse or stay connected with IM clients.

If you have a good signal, you have no need of Wifi.

Our 10 post rule give us a chance to control the SPAM posting bots. If there is a link you wish to share, corrupt it with a space, a Moderator can fix it.
    05-02-09 02:54 PM
    I have a bold and being able to use wifi at home and at work was what decided me. When you use wifi it won't affect your data plan so its cheaper!! Plus the bold is pretty much the coolest phone ever known to man LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 03:32 PM
    And browsing down a bit further I found this
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

Explains why wifi is good

05-02-09 03:36 PM
    +1 for the BOLD
    05-02-09 03:36 PM
    I have a Storm and I love it! I live near a major metropolitan area (Washington DC) so I don't need wifi. My Storm runs great, and I would recommend it to anyone who asks!

P.S. Remember, It's "the network" vs. At&t.
    05-02-09 03:38 PM
    The Storm has the bigger screen and keyboard (in landscape). If you go with Verizon you have extreme coverage and no need for Wifi.
    05-02-09 03:56 PM
    Oh and also,
    from CNET review;

Blackberry Storm
    h t t p : / / reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/rim-blackberry-storm-verizon/4505-6452_7-33311850.html

Blackberry Bold
    h t t p : / / reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/rim-blackberry-bold-at/4505-6452_7-33016450.html

Looks like Bold did get more stars compared to Storm.
    But yes, I really don't want to just rely on that~
    I really really want to rely on people's experience.

I want this phone to last at least 5 years too.
    Also with regards to software issues, apparently I read somewhere that Storm has instability issues or such. Is this true?

To be honest, I do like Storm's design.
    It's very sleek! But then again, all these factors are just giving me a headache to whether or not I should get one instead of Bold .
    05-02-09 04:00 PM
    The Storm has the bigger screen and keyboard (in landscape). If you go with Verizon you have extreme coverage and no need for Wifi.
    +1 ... my vote is with the storm, and i too would recommend this phone to anyone. i have had absolutely no trouble with it. runs great and doesnt miss a beat.
    05-02-09 04:01 PM
    Get the Storm. The network is all that matters.
    05-02-09 04:02 PM
    There is also another thing I would like to ask.
    Now, I will be using this phone in Indonesia!
    So i would definitely have to check the PLANS for this area.

But one thing I must know for sure, is with regards to the ROAMING part!

So lets say I purchased Indonesian line.
    And I went abroad to say..... USA or Hong Kong.
    Do I have to pay extra if I just want to check my e-mail / internet / messenger?

Now I do realize that this is asking a completely different thing because perhaps the argument would be 'different provider from different country, different system'. But I would like to compare and I do not think it would be THAT different!

What about in Canada? or in your areas.
    Please do share your experience as well ^_^
    05-02-09 04:03 PM
    get the Storm, because Verizon is far better for both call quality, 3G coverage, and Voice Coverage

I actually like the Bold better as a phone, but it is just not worth the crap that is AT&T's network
    05-02-09 04:09 PM
    Oh and also, I tried the Storm earlier this evening from the shop.
    I actually really like the screen thingy.
    Its not like the iPhone 3G where if you slide your finger across the screen, you'd probably be hitting QWERTY-all-the-way across your message board.

But for STORM, you need to press the screen thingy before it actually registers.

Which brings my next point';
    1st - won't the screen SPOIL FAST if you keep doing that?
    2nd - I'm still not used to the keyboard yet as I guess I can say that I have a rather fat finger XD. But yeah what about you other 'fat-finger' owners?

The shopkeeper also recommended STORM and he did mention to me that it would take time getting used to this. But yes I wanna hear from your opinion as well if possible~
    05-02-09 04:09 PM
    When you use wifi it won't affect your data plan so its cheaper!! Plus the bold is pretty much the coolest phone ever known to man LOL

Weak argument. What smart shopper would not have an unlimited data plan? These vendors make it where the unlimited data plan is usually only several dollars more a month. If you're on AT&T, you better hope for a Wifi connection.
    05-02-09 04:13 PM
    Another thing is that,
    I know that Blackberry is not really designed for mp3 use but....

Actually, I've always wanted to get one of those SONY MP3 bluetooth players ya' know. But I do realize that the Blackberry Storm HAS bluetooth (Not sure if BOLD has it but from what I read it should have).

Now what I want to know is this.
    Can I get one of those bluetooth speaker and just pair it with the blackberry so that it could act as an mp3 player? However, I still want it to function 24/7 online for all my messenger!

And if it IS possible, how long would it last?
    From what I read as well, Storm's using 1400mA and Bold's using 1500mA. And will the application sort of LAG as well? I know I'm asking too much for a phone to function as all that. Kind of like a portable mini PC that's 100% always connected to the net.

And another thing perhaps is the camera.
    I read from CNET that BOLD's camera has better COLOR ADJUSTMENT compared to that of STORM. Is this true? Or at least that's looking from the website link -_-.
    05-02-09 04:18 PM
    Get the Storm. The network is all that matters.
    now heres the thing i know about network...Verizon does have the best network by far, although here's the not so good part...Verizon's network are used in burst speeds. so if you are in really good areas, you get a burst of speed when you go on the internet thats why you can browse the net with high speed...now if your traveling or what not and tends to go in areas where they're network speed is slow, you get exactly that...you're browsing capabilities is slooow. say for example your in a fast network area and your watching youtube on your Storm phone, you get that simultaneous viewing...now while still watching that youtube episode and you drove to a slow network area of verizon...you would either wait till it loads up, or it slows the viewing down or lose the viewing all together. HERES one CRUCIAL thing thats why I CHANGED my network to AT&T...with Verizon when your checking your email and somebody calls you, you can only pick one, either stop checking your email and pick up the phone or ignore the phone call altogether coz you can only do one or the other........now with AT&Ts network...i would say it is dependable...not bad at all!!! with the same example that i gave about the youtube...never did i get a burst of speed on one area of the town and slow as **** on the other side...it is consistent... i still get their 3G network and even when im driving and end up on where their edge network is big...i only noticed a smudge of change while viewing my youtube, i dont have to wait for centuries for anything to load up, its almost close to having a 3g network....NOW FOR THE CRUCIAL PART...i bought a BOLD and what do you know...i can check my email or go online while on a phone call...why should i stop what im doing at that time just to have that phone call...i just put my bluetooth on while im talking on the other line and AT THE SAME TIME im browsing the net or checking me emails......so yeah, THE NETWORK IS ALL THAT MATTERS!---enough said!
    05-02-09 04:59 PM
    Weak argument. What smart shopper would not have an unlimited data plan? These vendors make it where the unlimited data plan is usually only several dollars more a month. If you're on AT&T, you better hope for a Wifi connection.
    Unfortunately for me rogers does not offer me an unlimited plan so I just pay my 25 bucks for 500mbs of data and use wifi when I'm streaming video. I've never used my whole 500mb's either so I don't see any reason to pay for more data at this time.

05-02-09 05:08 PM
    Now, I will be using this phone in Indonesia!
    So i would definitely have to check the PLANS for this area.

What about in Canada? or in your areas.
    Please do share your experience as well ^_^
    It is a good thing you brought that up. If you plan on international travel, you will need a GSM/3G capable phone. The Verizon Storm uses CDMA in North America only.

BlackBerry has evolved around the physical keyboard, they have it refined to an art in Bold.

Bluetooth is common to all the consumer models, accessories work with both.
    05-02-09 05:42 PM
    ...with Verizon when your checking your email and somebody calls you, you can only pick one, either stop checking your email and pick up the phone or ignore the phone call altogether coz you can only do one or the other........
    You are incorrect. I just tried this and I CAN do both at the same time. As long as you are happy with AT&T then good for you.
    05-02-09 07:25 PM
    I defiantly recommend the Bold, because the Storm is still 1st gen.
    05-02-09 09:13 PM
    Wow, more recommendations for the BOLD~

Ummm, Storm is still 1st gen?
    So does this mean that the Storm is less stable or something?

Also, I am under the assumption that ALL the STORM is designed
    to have the same feature ALL OVER THE WORLD yeah?

The reason I asked is because, you know SONY Vaio?
    They have DIFFERENT built even for same models around the world.
    Take Sony Vaio TT for instance! THe one sold in Indonesia DOES NOT have HDMI
    while the one sold in China has HDMI slot! (But that's probably just SONY and their
    weird marketing scheme)
    Last edited by Stalvros; 05-02-09 at 11:20 PM.
    05-02-09 11:16 PM
    Everyone is saying +1 for the network, but I say -1 for the device. You stated you want this device to last 5 years... The Storm isn't going to give you that. I actually use a Storm, Bold, 8900 and iPhone 3g. If I had to pick one, it would be the Bold.

Wifi is good, but I also like UMTS 3g is better than Verizon's EVDO 3g. It's faster and I can be on the phone talking to someone and still be able to IM / surf the web / get GPS directions / and use anything data related as UMTS 3g (AT&T) allows for simultaneous voice and data. Wifi allows you to do the same, but the Storm doesn't have either.

Clarification:
    The Storm should have the edge here: a big old touchscreen and HSDPA ought to satisfy anyone, but it also suffers from one crippling absence. Where’s the WiFi?
    HSDPA is present, but not in North America (at least not yet). If you're in an area where you are serviced by Vodafone, then the network thing may not even be an issue, just device.
    05-03-09 12:11 AM
    Haha... I had this response since 5 pm est, but fell asleep and after posting I saw "Indonesia"

I had a feeling it wasn't for the states or even N. America.
    05-03-09 12:12 AM
    Wow, more recommendations for the BOLD~

Ummm, Storm is still 1st gen?
    So does this mean that the Storm is less stable or something?

Also, I am under the assumption that ALL the STORM is designed
    to have the same feature ALL OVER THE WORLD yeah?

The reason I asked is because, you know SONY Vaio?
    They have DIFFERENT built even for same models around the world.
    Take Sony Vaio TT for instance! THe one sold in Indonesia DOES NOT have HDMI
    while the one sold in China has HDMI slot! (But that's probably just SONY and their
    weird marketing scheme)
    It means that when one of the CEOs of RIM agree... lol. It's expected is the feeling they have.
    05-03-09 12:13 AM
    Bold no questions asked. The Storm is no competition for the Bold. I would rather have the Pearl instead of the Storm (not that the Pearl is bad, just not as good as the Bold).

05-03-09 12:22 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD