Hi,

I just got my brothers old storm2, I had a Storm 1..

Now I have a few questions since my storm 1 did not had wi-fi, is there a way to set the wifi to use the home network 1st vs from the dataplan?

And my other question how can you tell it's using the wifi vs the homenetwork once connected? both appear on??

Thanks
    09-11-10 10:57 PM
    wifi doesnt use the data plan and the phone will use wifi first if available and 3g for backup
    09-11-10 11:12 PM
    the wifi logo on your screen will be white when is connected and grey when its not but its still turned on so if its bright white your all good
    09-11-10 11:23 PM
    There's another thread asking "would you trade in your Storm for a Droid?" - I love my Storm, and that question got me thinking that the reason I love my Storm is because it's more like a computer than most other smart phones, however, as far as Storm's WIFI is concerned, it lacks what I originally thought it did - computer connectivity. I was under the impression that phones equiped with WIFI just made it link to your PC easier, but its useless in that respect.

If RIM was smart, they'd enable the Storm to use its WIFI to connect to home networks to show up as a drive in My Network Places to enable drag/drop for file transfers rather than having to use an old fashioned USB cable. This would be a huge bonus and a deciding factor for those of us who use our Storms as MP3/and video players.
    09-12-10 12:25 PM
    Well BB uses wi-fi to connect to BIS. So it never gets in "contact" with the network of the wifi spot unless that network is connected with a bes. So it just the way rim is thinking security and for most users it is a good thing. However I see your point in case I was on a private device. But it is likely a long way down the road before it is allowed in BB Os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 12:42 PM
    I usually don't even have my wifi network set to on.
    It drains my battery, so I figure why not just use the data plan, it's unlimited (For now, at least)
    And yes, I realize surfing the net using wifi would be faster, but I don't really do that much either, so for me, it's worth it to turn it off completely.

If there's ever a time I'm at a wifi hotspot and I do need to access the net faster, I'll just turn it on.
    09-13-10 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD