Hi everyone,

This is my first visit to CrackBerry so I apologise if this has already been answered elsewhere, but I'm coming to the end of a 24 month contract with Vodafone with my Storm 2. I was generally happy with the phone for the first half of the contract, but it's pretty sluggish and the clicky screen is very temperamental and often clicks 5 or 6 times with a single push, making typing very frustrating. The low screen resolution has also started to become very evident in comparison with current generation smartphones.

Basically, I can't decide between the Bold 9900 or the Torch 9860 for my upgrade (which is due in a few weeks).

The Bold certainly seems to be a more 'premium' phone, with nicer build quality and a classy feel to it (the Torch 9860 looks a bit tacky and very plasticky) but I am drawn to the large screen and high resolution of the Torch. I initially bought the Storm 2 because I wasn't that keen on full touchscreen but liked the clicky screen (I was rubbish at typing on friends' iPhones) but having now used keyboard BlackBerrys like the Bold 9700 and various Curves, I don't really see what the fuss is about over BlackBerry hardware keyboards - I can type just as fast on my Storm 2 (when it works!)

I'd be hugely grateful if anyone could offer some advice. I realise both phones are identical in terms of processor and performance etc, so I just need persuading either way in terms of keyboard vs screen size. I like having a decent size screen, because I find web browsing very annoying on my mum's Bold 9700 (just not enough resolution), so could anybody shed any light on the browsing experience of the Bold 9900?

Thanks so much for any replies!

Tom
    08-30-11 09:37 AM
    My Friend upgraded from the Storm 2 to the 9810, she isn't a techy at all, I've been getting BBM's from her about every 2 hours saying things like "wow this is fast", "wow I like having a keyboard", "omg this is so neat" "the screen is so pretty" those are the last 4 BBM's from her out of the blue.

She does miss the clicky screen when typing on the screen, but having the keyboard for 1 handed typing is making up for it.

for the debate between the 9900 or the 9860, the 9900 is beautiful, but if you want a BIG screen the 9860 is your option, I really was on the fence the first week with the 9900 if I was going to get a 9810 for the big screen didn't think I could go back to the smaller screen but I don't miss the screen of my 9810 at all
    08-30-11 10:08 AM
    +1 deRusett 9810 is amazing
    08-30-11 10:14 AM
    I have fooled around with all of the three phones. Right so here's my judgement:
    The 9810 touchscreen is fluid and the combination is nice although I HATE the slider
    The 9860 is beautiful but I don't like the looks but touchscreen is pretty good.
    The 9900 touchscreen is small but responsive and the keyboard is spectacular!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 10:33 AM
    Try them out in the store
    Also, wipe and reload the OS. Clean slate brings new life into an old device.

08-30-11 12:14 PM
    So...what would be your choice?
    08-30-11 12:21 PM
    So...what would be your choice?
    I choose the 9900 or 9810

08-30-11 12:25 PM
    In case any other Storm 2 owners are having doubts and found their way to this post, I just got the 9900 yesterday and it's perfect. Initially I had doubts about whether the screen would be big enough, having had a full touch phone before, but it's really big and incredibly sharp (iPhone 4 levels of clarity).

Also, having owned a Storm 2, I found the transition onto a physical keyboard absolutely seamless because of the integration of the touch screen - I always used to feel like there was less flexibility when using an old Bold (I felt limited by only being able to navigate by scrolling with the trackpad) but this new 9900 covers all the bases.

So, Storm users: the screen is big and clear, the keyboard is a joy (after just a day I'm getting up to the same speeds of typing I had on my Storm) and it's LIGHTNING fast to boot!
    09-22-11 11:08 AM
    I went from a Storm 2 to a 9850 and feel pretty happy about it. I tried both the 9930 and 9850 out in-store just for typing, and was amazed the 9850 provided a positive (and productive) typing experience without any sort of haptic feedback. The 9930 keyboard felt small and squashed in my hands, which was weird. Now that I've had the 9850 for a couple of weeks I'm impressed with the phone's speed, browser, video capabilities, and context menu integration. Blackberry seriously has it together when it comes to doing something on your phone and then broadcasting that information to everyone everywhere.

09-22-11 11:20 AM
    I echo these thoughts. I too went from s2 to 9930 (even spent quality time with 9850 and really liked it) and could not be happier. There is something special about this device.

In case any other Storm 2 owners are having doubts and found their way to this post, I just got the 9900 yesterday and it's perfect. Initially I had doubts about whether the screen would be big enough, having had a full touch phone before, but it's really big and incredibly sharp (iPhone 4 levels of clarity).

Also, having owned a Storm 2, I found the transition onto a physical keyboard absolutely seamless because of the integration of the touch screen - I always used to feel like there was less flexibility when using an old Bold (I felt limited by only being able to navigate by scrolling with the trackpad) but this new 9900 covers all the bases.

So, Storm users: the screen is big and clear, the keyboard is a joy (after just a day I'm getting up to the same speeds of typing I had on my Storm) and it's LIGHTNING fast to boot!
    09-22-11 04:00 PM
    I have tried both and like both, but I am going with the 9850. I like larger screen and I type plenty fast on the virtual KB.
    09-22-11 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD