I have searched the forums and have not been able to find anything that specifically answers my question on this topic:

I am getting ready to travel to the Bahamas and looking to see if there is any program that will allow me to make calls ONLY using Data (Wifi would be ok too but not preferred)? I know I will need to upgrade to the Global plan w/Verizon for the time I am traveling.

I already have Google Voice but understand that with GV you are still paying your roaming charges on top of the GV charges for calling abroad.

My 9550 is also unlocked but have never really understood how to use that as an advantage when traveling.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    03-15-10 02:12 PM
    I'm going to the bahamas in june so i'm interested in this also
    03-15-10 02:28 PM
    I am not going to the Bahamas in June so I am not interested in this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 02:46 PM
    nothing out there that i know of to do this....skype maybe
    03-15-10 02:47 PM
    To make calls on your blackberry using DATA only, not the cellular network, you'd need a BB that supports UMA (currently only T-Mobile in the USA), or you need some VOIP app loaded on your phone.

Google Voice is not VOIP. It calls out to a designated access phone number, and connects the call that way. It uses the cellular network, and is thus subject to your rate plan, carrier's roaming rates, etc.
    03-15-10 02:51 PM
    In doing the research on SIM cards it looks like that does not save you too much money and might actually be more of a hassle.

The international rates for Verizon are $1.99/min and the SIM cars look to be at $1.32/min. Not only that but it looks like they don't come with data. So, if you wanted to use the internet you would be switching in and out your SIM cards all day. Not to mention the $89+ cost of the card and $10 connection fee.

Does that sound correct?
    03-15-10 02:54 PM
    To make calls on your blackberry using DATA only, not the cellular network, you'd need a BB that supports UMA (currently only T-Mobile in the USA), or you need some VOIP app loaded on your phone.

Google Voice is not VOIP. It calls out to a designated access phone number, and connects the call that way. It uses the cellular network, and is thus subject to your rate plan, carrier's roaming rates, etc.
    Would Vonage World Mobile work?
    03-15-10 02:55 PM
    Would Vonage World Mobile work?
    If there is a BB app for it, and it works over either cellular data, or a Wifi data network... Yes. But you'd need an unlimited international cellular data plan, or Wifi connection

however from -> Vonage Mobile. Internet Phone Service for Mobile International Calls.
    ...calls from your BlackBerry from any cellular area in the U.S.
    in the US? what happens if you are not in the US and try to call?
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 03-15-10 at 03:15 PM.
    03-15-10 03:11 PM
    In doing the research on SIM cards it looks like that does not save you too much money and might actually be more of a hassle.

The international rates for Verizon are $1.99/min and the SIM cars look to be at $1.32/min. Not only that but it looks like they don't come with data. So, if you wanted to use the internet you would be switching in and out your SIM cards all day. Not to mention the $89+ cost of the card and $10 connection fee.

Does that sound correct?
    You might be able to pick up a pre-pay sim at your destination.

Oh, and one other "hassle", when using a Non-Verizon SIM is... you've got a "new phone number"... so your friends/family can't call you until you give them that new number.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 03-15-10 at 03:16 PM.
    03-15-10 03:13 PM
    Thought Verizon released Skype for the Storm?
    03-15-10 03:44 PM
    you can use skype it only uses data
    03-15-10 03:50 PM
    Well, just found out too that Vonage World Mobile does NOT work with the Storm/Storm 2. That sucks!
    03-15-10 04:07 PM
    I am not going to the Bahamas in June so I am not interested in this.
    ^^^^^^^
    03-15-10 08:34 PM
    http://about.skype.com/2009/03/skype_coming_to_blackberry_sma.html

Looks like Storm isn't getting any support out of the gate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-10 02:14 AM
    When you unlock the phone, the advantage you have is the ability to use inexpensive prepay cards at your destination. This is really for voice only but can be quite a money saver.
    The best no hassle alternative is Verizon Global. It is prorated so that you will only have to pay for the time used (i.e. start it on Monday, cancel it 2 weeks later, you will be billed for 2 weeks, not the full amount).
    I have used both and consider the Global the best and easiest if coverage is available. You will need to verify coverage though.
    03-16-10 06:45 AM
    When you unlock the phone, the advantage you have is the ability to use inexpensive prepay cards at your destination. This is really for voice only but can be quite a money saver.
    The best no hassle alternative is Verizon Global. It is prorated so that you will only have to pay for the time used (i.e. start it on Monday, cancel it 2 weeks later, you will be billed for 2 weeks, not the full amount).
    I have used both and consider the Global the best and easiest if coverage is available. You will need to verify coverage though.
    How did you get Vonage Mobile to work on your 9550/9530? From everything I have seen it does NOT work with the Storm. I tried to download it and it gave me an error on my 9550. I sent an e-mail to the e-mail support team but have yet to receive a response.

**Sorry, I mis-read your original message and thought you said Vonage where you said Verizon. I will be getting the Verizon Global package and have always done that in the past. However, it unfortunately does not change the cost per minute for phone calls. I was hoping that with Wifi on this 9550 (I had the 8830 WE previously) that I could have some better/different options but I guess not. So much for the advantage of Wifi????
    Last edited by asggold; 03-16-10 at 09:34 AM.
    03-16-10 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD